Most unhinged reaction to SCOTUS leak

murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Most unhinged reaction to SCOTUS leak

Post by murphy_p_t » Wed May 04, 2022 7:06 am

I see that the rabbi's tweet was included in coverage by natural news.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2022-05-03- ... urned.html
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed May 04, 2022 12:40 pm

I thought this reaction by Elizabeth Warren was pretty unhinged, too.

The Dems have been choosing some interesting hills to die on this year.

(By the way, shouldn't this thread be in the Politics subforum?)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 04, 2022 2:32 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:40 pm
You are quite right. I may as well move it. I'm on hold with the IRS (yawn)...
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed May 04, 2022 8:22 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:40 pm

I thought this reaction by Elizabeth Warren was pretty unhinged, too.

The Dems have been choosing some interesting hills to die on this year.

Do not like her!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu May 05, 2022 2:24 pm

Doesn't Judaism largely teach that abortion is not so good, apart from certain "threat-to-the-mother"-style exceptions?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 05, 2022 2:30 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:24 pm
Doesn't Judaism largely teach that abortion is not so good, apart from certain "threat-to-the-mother"-style exceptions?
As the abbreviated version of the saying goes, 2 Jews, 3 opinions. O0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism_a ... n_policies
Although I would like to think that we must nearly all agree that Harvey, the main subject of the thread, is a douche.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu May 05, 2022 9:28 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:30 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:24 pm

As the abbreviated version of the saying goes, 2 Jews, 3 opinions. O0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism_a ... n_policies
Although I would like to think that we must nearly all agree that Harvey, the main subject of the thread, is a douche.

I had never heard that one before! I did read that if you asked 10 accountants their valuation of a business you'd get 12 answers since two of them would change their minds.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri May 06, 2022 7:15 am

Dualstow wrote: "I’ve seen 15 years of false Talmud quotes passed around the internet with people willingly swallowing those quotes without the slightest attempt at skepticism."

Can you provide a white paper or other clarification which addresses the most egregious claims?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 06, 2022 7:23 am

You want me to provide a white paper on my personal experience? I don’t get it. Either you believe me or you don’t.

Why don’t you explain why you felt the rantings of one unhinged person merited a thread. What is your end goal here, Murphy?

Edit:
or other clarification
How Christians Twisted the Talmud to Harm the Jews
For centuries, scholars deliberately distorted Jewish teachings to confirm their antisemitic views

https://blog.nli.org.il/en/against_the_talmud/
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri May 06, 2022 8:33 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:23 am
You want me to provide a white paper on my personal experience? I don’t get it. Either you believe me or you don’t.

Why don’t you explain why you felt the rantings of one unhinged person merited a thread. What is your end goal here, Murphy?

Edit:
or other clarification
How Christians Twisted the Talmud to Harm the Jews
For centuries, scholars deliberately distorted Jewish teachings to confirm their antisemitic views

https://blog.nli.org.il/en/against_the_talmud/
No. Not your personal experience.

I'm interested in an apologetics exposition which responds to the specific claims made by those hostile to the talmud.

I would like to know the Jewish perspective so that I can share in the skepticism.

I would expect a statement of the false claim, followed by the Jewish perspective on why it is false.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri May 06, 2022 11:24 am

The (chief?) Rabbi made a declaration of war against Christians. Two of the people commenting on this thread have made reflexive denunciations and denials, which have since been withdrawn.

Are you suggesting that the declaration of war is not a matter of public interest? Also, it hasn't caught my attention any public denials and repudiations from his superiors and equals within Judaism. I haven't heard that he's been expelled from the council of rabbis.

Are you suggesting that this is not a matter of public interest?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 06, 2022 11:49 am

FYI There is no chief Rabbi that more than 10 Jews give a shit about. And there never was. Traditionally, each village had a rabbi. (I have mentioned that this is supposedly how Ashkenazis bred higher IQs, but…not the scope of this thread). . Not only is there no Jewish version of a Pope, but if there were he would be ignored by most Jews in the world today.

You’re taking one lunatic with some followers on twitter and pretending that what — that this is a call to arms and Jews are going to attack Christians in the street? Sorry, we don’t do that. There’s no Jewish Pope. There’s no Jewish Farrakhan. Jews make up their own minds.

And I don’t mean to put words in your mouth, but you still haven’t anwered what your game is here.

Murphy wrote: I'm interested in an apologetics exposition which responds to the specific claims made by those hostile to the talmud.
No idea what this means, and I’m not even pretending not to understand.

The Talmud generally says positive things. Some non-Jews made up some BS like “cheat a goy if you’re able” and pasted/posted it around the Internet, where other non-Jews bought it hook, line and sinker along with “grandma email forwards” like the Nigerian prince scam. People are suckers for the latter because they’re greedy and the former because they’re naive, but a subset of those people accept the former because they never liked or trusted Jews anyway and it fits in with their worldview.

Long before there was an Internet, well- see my link above.
(Edited for clarity 12:53 EST)
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri May 06, 2022 12:14 pm

It's funny that you'd be troubled by the equivalent of a Nigerian prince scam for the last 15 years.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri May 06, 2022 12:18 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:14 pm
It's funny that you'd be troubled by the equivalent of a Nigerian prince scam for the last 15 years.
Would you not be troubled if people were sending out false claims of bad things the Pope had said? Or if there were a Nigerian-prince-style scam using his name?

Murphy, do you really think that this guy is in charge of all the Jews in America? Couldn't you find out pretty easily that he's not, without haranguing Dualstow about it? "The (chief?) Rabbi".. come on.

"declaration of war" is also completely histrionic.

Your response to his unhinged response might be just as unhinged!
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri May 06, 2022 12:19 pm

Murphy wrote:
I'm interested in an apologetics exposition which responds to the specific claims made by those hostile to the talmud.
No idea what this means, and I’m not even pretending not to understand.

There are far more provocative claims about the text of the Babylonian talmud. Things that any Christian would view as explicit blasphemy. Maybe adherants to the Talmud view those as nothing more than the equivalent of a Nigerian prince scam?
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri May 06, 2022 12:20 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:18 pm
murphy_p_t wrote:
Would you not be troubled if people were sending out false claims of bad things the Pope had said? Or if there were a Nigerian-prince-style scam using his name?

Murphy, do you really think that this guy is in charge of all the Jews in America? Couldn't you find out pretty easily that he's not, without haranguing Dualstow about it? "The (chief?) Rabbi".. come on.

How would you describe Martin Luther's statements about the jews?
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri May 06, 2022 12:26 pm

Group named for a deceased, well-known Jew is intent upon intimidation tactics.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/activist- ... -protests/
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Fri May 06, 2022 12:29 pm

"People are suckers for the latter because they’re greedy and the former because they’re naive, "

Funny that you would accuse (some) gentiles of this.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri May 06, 2022 12:32 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:20 pm
Xan wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:18 pm
murphy_p_t wrote:

How would you describe Martin Luther's statements about the jews?
Largely terrible. But none of Luther's writings are canon (and certainly not EVERYTHING that say, St Paul ever wrote was either). His attitude at the end of his life was:
"We want to treat them with Christian love and to pray for them, so that they might become converted and would receive the Lord."

Can you give a straight answer to any of the questions you've gotten here, Murphy?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri May 06, 2022 12:34 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:29 pm
"People are suckers for the latter because they’re greedy and the former because they’re naive, "

I think Dualstow would agree that all people are (to one degree on another) greedy.

And, that's enough. You're not adding anything. Banned indefinitely.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 06, 2022 12:38 pm

Edit
Never mind

Murphy,
if you actually made statements instead of “answering” a question with a question, you’d probably get better feedback.
You are similarly avoiding the issue at hand by suggesting that I’m “troubled” by the Nigerian prince scam. I merely used it as a second example of people believing what they read because it’s out there in written form. (I think you know that). But also because they are predisposed to accept it in some cases.

The tally of unswered questions on your side continues to grow, so i’ll probably bow out until you answer them. Xan’s question, too.

If Christianity is under attack, it is largely by ultraliberals and the ultra left, as far as I can tell. As Pug pointed out very early on, the rabbi featured here is a classic example of that hateful element of the left. He does appear to be a real rabbi and for that I am very regretful. Just the same as with Madoff. But, this guy has about as much influence on other people as Madoff, i.e. none. If anything, he makes us want to be better human beings.

Christianity may also seem threatened by secular corporate culture. I think it *is*. Not being able to say “Merry Christmas” is weird, and when it’s Christmastime and people in my neighborhood say “Happy Holidays”, I always respond with “Merry Christmas.”

Christianity under attack by Jews? I don’t see it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri May 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:34 pm
murphy_p_t wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:29 pm

I think Dualstow would agree that all people are (to one degree on another) greedy.
oh yes