Media Bias

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Media Bias

Post by glennds » Sun May 01, 2022 11:19 am

I came across this graphic the other day and thought it was interesting. Especially that it gets down to the leanings of certain shows/personalities independently of the leaning they assigned to the overall network i.e. Joy Reid falls hyper partisan left, more so than MSNBC as a whole and Sean Hannity falls hyper partisan right, more so than Fox overall.

Has there been a time in modern history when mainstream media has been this widely distributed? At one time MSM would have been summed up as the three major TV networks, PBS, Reuters, AP, and a handful of print newspapers and magazines, and they were probably all clustered more closely together.

Do people gravitate toward the flavor they are pre-disposed to liking? Or perhaps the bias that more closely aligns with their political party of choice?
Maybe some gravitate away from the party they dislike.
In other words in reality do people embrace bias? Or would a graphic like this prompt people to seek the center in an effort to try and avoid bias?

I sometimes wonder if on some level we all want the "straight story" and therefore view bias as a bad thing.
But perhaps on another level we also seek the gratification of hearing what we wanted to hear in the first place, whether we realize it or not. If the latter were the case, then maybe we're into entertainment territory and the personality is simply vending what his/her market wants.

Not sure yet what to think but it was thought provoking, so I'm throwing it out there for discussion
Attachments
Media-Bias-Chart-9.0_Jan-2022-Unlicensed-Social-Media_Hi_Res-1200x950.jpg
Media-Bias-Chart-9.0_Jan-2022-Unlicensed-Social-Media_Hi_Res-1200x950.jpg (199.4 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
MarketIfTouched
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Media Bias

Post by MarketIfTouched » Sun May 01, 2022 11:53 am

Per the visualization:
  • Many news organizations labeled as 'right' are judged to be in the 'red' zone - misleading/inaccurate information.
  • Only one organization labeled as 'left' is judged to be in the 'red' zone - misleading/inaccurate information.
Who will guard the guards themselves?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun May 01, 2022 12:30 pm

My main news sources remain C-Span's Washington journal seven days a week from 7 AM to 10 AM and then the five Sunday News Shows, which I listen to twice.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon May 02, 2022 9:56 am

I am not so disturbed by the extreme parts...everyone who watches Fox or MSNBC knows exactly what they are getting and knows they are not getting the view from the other side. I have always been more worried about the skew left from the places that most people would consider as unbiased...ABC, NBC, CBS, New York Times etc. I feel like that is how the narrative gets ever more slightly tilted towards one side without people recognizing it. Over a long period of time, certain viewpoints begun to never get heard of again or get to be considered "fringe" when they once upon a time were not due to those small biases.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon May 02, 2022 7:29 pm

We're not willing to pay for internet NYTimes et al, so it's oligarch funded propaganda now.