Putin Invades Ukraine II

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Putin Invades Ukraine II

Post by dualstow »

ppnewbie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:19 pm BTW - In my mind this is a good discussion even though it feels like we are posting at each other. No disrespect to anyone. Especially Vinny and Dualstow!
👍
I’m curious about how many are in the ‘NATO is at fault’ camp. Either way, I’m really looking forward to reading a book on the subject (the subject of the invasion, perhaps dating back to 2014 and earlier). But, it’s probably premature. For the time being, I mostly depend on ‘Foreign Affairs.’
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

ppnewbie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:12 pm
- What are the odds that what we are doing in Ukraine will have little positive consequences?
- What did you think the odds were when the conflict started and the US started intervening?
- What are the odds that we are willing to sacrifice as many Ukranian lives as it takes to weaken Putin and Russia?

I think Russia will get what they wanted which is a guarantee of no NATO expansion and the bonus of expanded territory for all the trouble.

1) Low
2) High
3) Low
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:48 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:09 pm
I continue to be fascinated by this thread's title. "Putin invades Ukraine". Why is one man a threat to a country, especially as I don't think (I may be wrong) that Putin has set foot in the Ukraine since the war began.

Well, my friend, Putin is what is known as a “leader.” A country doesn’t really invade without his say-so.
(Except Wagner Group, but that’s another story)
The use of “Putin” to mean Russia is what as known as a metonym.

When the breadwinner says, “I put a roof over your heads,” he doesn’t just mean a roof. He means he provided a whole home, utilities, and so on.

When someone says “Heaven knows”, they mean God.

Closer to the Putin-as-Russia metonym, you can say “Today, the White House put out a memo…” but it wasn’t really that building which put out the memo. It was the administration, or at least the President.

More here - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/metonym

All well explained. Thanks!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

image.gif
image.gif (1.08 KiB) Viewed 93154 times
image.gif
image.gif (1.08 KiB) Viewed 93154 times
;D
dualstow wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:48 pm
Mountaineer wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:09 pm I continue to be fascinated by this thread's title. "Putin invades Ukraine". Why is one man a threat to a country, especially as I don't think (I may be wrong) that Putin has set foot in the Ukraine since the war began.
Well, my friend, Putin is what is known as a “leader.” A country doesn’t really invade without his say-so.
(Except Wagner Group, but that’s another story)
The use of “Putin” to mean Russia is what as known as a metonym.

When the breadwinner says, “I put a roof over your heads,” he doesn’t just mean a roof. He means he provided a whole home, utilities, and so on.

When someone says “Heaven knows”, they mean God.

Closer to the Putin-as-Russia metonym, you can say “Today, the White House put out a memo…” but it wasn’t really that building which put out the memo. It was the administration, or at least the President.

More here - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/metonym
dualstow (based upon your screen name I'm going to take a wild guess that you have two vehicles stored in your garage, or two suitcases stored in the basement, or perhaps two wives locked in shackles). All kidding aside, I forgot to put the wink emoji in my original post. I'm very familiar with the terms metonym and metonymy, e.g. our pastor uses them frequently. Once he told me when he saw me in my car, "nice wheels" and I don't think he was referring to my shoes. And, I would agree with Vinny, you did a nice job of explaining.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:18 am { metonym }

I figured you were asking a facetious question, and I was at a loss as what to do other than give a serious answer. O0 Maybe someone out there read it and learned “metonym.”
dualstow (based upon your screen name …
I can’t find where I explained it, but I’ll do it now in Daily Check In
viewtopic.php?p=252217#p252217
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I'm currently dating a girl from Ukraine. She moved here to escape the war that was happening in her home country.

Obviously the war is heinous and tragic.. but if it hadn't happened, she wouldn't be here. Really makes one think.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Since stuper mentioned Mearsheimer (in the Led Fridman thread), I’ll just add this response, a quote from Foreign Affairs
John Mearsheimer argues that…
In other words, Russia has been playing defense, and Putin is merely pushing back against Western encroachment. He seeks nothing more than security for his country.

But this portrayal of Putin clashes with the reality of Russia’s actions. It now seems patently obvious that Putin’s motives went far beyond defense. It is difficult to see the Russian attempt to take Kyiv in the first weeks of the war as anything other than a regime-change operation.
(paywalled) https://www.foreignaffairs.com/eastern- ... sia-threat
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

Has anyone listened to the latest Lex Friedman podcast with Mearsheimer? I need to find three hours to listen to it.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

dualstow wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:24 pm Since stuper mentioned Mearsheimer (in the Led Fridman thread), I’ll just add this response, a quote from Foreign Affairs
John Mearsheimer argues that…
In other words, Russia has been playing defense, and Putin is merely pushing back against Western encroachment. He seeks nothing more than security for his country.

But this portrayal of Putin clashes with the reality of Russia’s actions. It now seems patently obvious that Putin’s motives went far beyond defense. It is difficult to see the Russian attempt to take Kyiv in the first weeks of the war as anything other than a regime-change operation.
Can’t read the article - but could it be possible that he was trying to cut off the head of a snake.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

ppnewbie wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:15 pm
Has anyone listened to the latest Lex Friedman podcast with Mearsheimer? I need to find three hours to listen to it.

I should be getting to it this week.

But a short while ago someone in person told me that he'd listened to it and thought it was a good one. He's another Lex fan like me.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

ppnewbie wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:15 pm Has anyone listened to the latest Lex Friedman podcast with Mearsheimer? I need to find three hours to listen to it.
You can shave some time off if you listen at 1.25X speed. Doesn’t work for every interview, but it’s good for slow talkers.
Just use the settings wheel under the video.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:56 am

You can shave some time off if you listen at 1.25X speed. Doesn’t work for every interview, but it’s good for slow talkers.

Is that faster speed universally offered or only for certain podcasts being presented through certain channels? I don't see it when I'm listening to the Sunday News shows or the Lex Podcasts.

I've only quite infrequently seemingly been presented with that option.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

ppnewbie wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:19 pm
dualstow wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:24 pm
Can’t read the article - but could it be possible that he was trying to cut off the head of a snake.
The cobra protecting us from the junior viper. That’s comforting. O0
_ _ _ _ _
Vinny, I guess your question answers itself. Your mileage may vary.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:44 am
ppnewbie wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:15 pm Has anyone listened to the latest Lex Friedman podcast with Mearsheimer? I need to find three hours to listen to it.
Is that faster speed universally offered or only for certain podcasts being presented through certain channels? I don't see it when I'm listening to the Sunday News shows or the Lex Podcasts.

FWIW, the "Overcast" podcast app lets you vary playback speed and more. It's my favorite podcast app and well worth a couple of bucks to support the developer if you like.

https://overcast.fm
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:23 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:44 am

FWIW, the "Overcast" podcast app lets you vary playback speed and more. It's my favorite podcast app and well worth a couple of bucks to support the developer if you like.

https://overcast.fm

Thanks. I will try it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I listened to much of it this morning. Youtube served it up semi-randomly when i was still in bed. After a while, I guessed it was him. Not too bad, even if I don’t agree with him everywhere.
He did mention that he has *only* studied Putin as a strategist.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:20 am

I listened to much of it this morning. Youtube served it up semi-randomly when i was still in bed. After a while, I guessed it was him. Not too bad, even if I don’t agree with him everywhere.
He did mention that he has *only* studied Putin as a strategist.

I listened to it twice because I did find it so enlightening and wanted to make sure I did not miss anything that he said.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie »

I listened to the podcast over the Thanksgiving holiday. I pretty much agree with everything he said. And also learned some interesting things about Russia in WW2. And that Lex had a naive childish (IMHO) view of the world. Almost like a “bro” view of global leaders. Hey Bro let’s do a deal. To which the guest gently gave him a reality check each time.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

ppnewbie wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:52 am And that Lex had a naive childish (IMHO) view of the world.
Totally agree. I’m sure he’s a great scientist, but he has the kind of naive optimism about the world that college students have and usually shed, eventually. At the same time, this makes him kind of charming and as long as he can continue to get these amazing guests to show up and speak, the show is worth it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:55 am
ppnewbie wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:52 am
And that Lex had a naive childish (IMHO) view of the world.

Totally agree. I’m sure he’s a great scientist, but he has the kind of naive optimism about the world that college students have and usually shed, eventually. At the same time, this makes him kind of charming and as long as he can continue to get these amazing guests to show up and speak, the show is worth it.

All true.

I am all caught up on listening to his interview / discussions. I was shocked yesterday when the one I listened to (which was only a few days old) only lasted an hour.

Are there any others who get the stature of guests that he does?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cynicism mounting, eh?
Did the Israel-Hamas conflict help kill aid for Ukraine or was it going to teeter anyway?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:38 am
Cynicism mounting, eh?
Did the Israel-Hamas conflict help kill aid for Ukraine or was it going to teeter anyway?

Not sure who or what your first sentence is directed to / at?

Difficult to answer when we are in the midst of having one branch of a major political party be at unprecedented levels of dysfunction during any of our lifetimes.

We do have those checks and balances in our government but one of those branches is severely broken then little productive can get done.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Indeed, martial law over a cold, pushed by the Left was unprecedented dysfunction.

Took 9 years to bleed out the Russians in Afghanistan.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/ranked ... s-in-2022/

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/ranked ... orts-2022/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:50 pm Not sure who or what your first sentence is directed to / at?
Just regarding recent news. Not directed at anyone.

@boglerdude - I love visual capitalist. I think I first heard about it from someone here at gyro, many years ago.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.78 KiB) Viewed 81847 times