Putin Invades Ukraine II

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Putin Invades Ukraine II

Post by Kbg » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:45 pm

I'm beginning more and more to see how the US could get sucked into it.

However, I'm beginning to more and more come around to the view that maybe that isn't such a bad thing strategically. Really what I'm coming around to is that Russian leadership as it currently exists needs to go...yeah I know, scary as crap to think about.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:20 am

Kbg wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:45 pm
I'm beginning more and more to see how the US could get sucked into it.

However, I'm beginning to more and more come around to the view that maybe that isn't such a bad thing strategically. Really what I'm coming around to is that Russian leadership as it currently exists needs to go...yeah I know, scary as crap to think about.
This may be true but are any of us willing to put actual skin in the game - like our lives or our families lives. I think this is what is going to be required.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:47 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:59 pm
I think that America can be foolish if it has no costs. But I am fearing for millions of people - famine - collapses of society with scarce energy. I think we are getting much closer to sacrificing our own loved ones or ourselves for Ukraine than we think.

We made a mess. We installed a clown. This time a nuclear bomb can hit any NATO country or the US. Biden keeps upping the Ante. It feels like he is unaware that this could be world war three over….Ukraine. I hear Russian state media is even calling it World War Three.
dualstow wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:01 pm
I thought Russian media were avoiding the word “war” altogether and instead calling it a “special operation.”

Ah, ok, I found something going all the way back to Nov 2021.
“World War III is knocking at our door,” warned one top propagandist.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/will-puti ... o-the-idea

and more recently:

Code: Select all

https://twitter.com/dpatrikarakos/status/1515316044029693959?s=20&t=CaVf5o6VZecRZWziYs6zqg
This Solovyov guy seems like he’s all over the place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_ ... _criticism
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:55 am

It’s interesting I read that article as one propogandist calling another media outlet a propogandist.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:23 pm

How dare you sink our warship? Just for that, we’re going to bomb your capital.

Crazy stuff.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:46 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:23 pm

Crazy stuff.
Isn't is more of "How dare Moscovy warship randomly catch fire and sink during special military operation. We therefor randomly like Ukraine even less. More missiles for Kiev unless they stop spontaneous combustion of Russian warships. "

:)
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:39 pm

Dieter wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:46 am
I Shrugged wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:23 pm

Crazy stuff.
Isn't is more of "How dare Moscovy warship randomly catch fire and sink during special military operation. We therefor randomly like Ukraine even less. More missiles for Kiev unless they stop spontaneous combustion of Russian warships. "

:)

Yes, of course!
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:44 pm

Won’t Russia have to sell any outcome, negotiated or otherwise, of this war to the West, in order to be allowed back into regular relationships?

If so, can you see a path from here to there? Especially if they intensify their war campaign?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:51 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:44 pm
Won’t Russia have to sell any outcome, negotiated or otherwise, of this war to the West, in order to be allowed back into regular relationships?

If so, can you see a path from here to there? Especially if they intensify their war campaign?
One such path would be Putin's ouster (by whatever means), and a new guy unaffiliated with Putin who disclaims Russia's recent actions.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:12 pm

I Shrugged wrote:

It’s sure going to be interesting, that’s for sure, given all the natural resources Russia has

How many countries other than India and China will continue to get resources from Russia?

Can the Russians build efficient supply routes to new markets before the West stops using their products?

Heck, can they keep their current production up without western companies?

Will likely continue at least partial for a while

(Sorry, I know not new)
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:37 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:51 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

One such path would be Putin's ouster (by whatever means), and a new guy unaffiliated with Putin who disclaims Russia's recent actions.
That seems like the most likely outcome.
The other strong possibility is Cold War II. I would wonder if Russians will put up with that for very long. Which would circle back to the first possibility.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:15 pm

I’ll throw out some ideas here. Societal complexity is a result of excess energy. Without it we will be burning coal and riding horses again.

Europe is utterly dependent on Russia for energy.

I believe we hit something call peak oil a while ago. IE we used to input one barrel of oil energy to get 100. Now we input 1 barrel to get 3. Numbers may be off.

Without certain natural resources we don’t have fertilizer because I believe a lot of farming is “input” heavy. IE things are grown in dirt with heavy amounts inputs, not soil.

We may not be in a position of strength.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:48 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:15 pm
Without certain natural resources we don’t have fertilizer because I believe a lot of farming is “input” heavy. IE things are grown in dirt with heavy amounts inputs, not soil.

We may not be in a position of strength.
The huge leaps in agricultural productivity gains have little to do with petroleum and are largely a result of the biological sciences.

Militarily Putin has clearly demonstrated he doesn't have much of a military. At a strategic level all he has left ARE nuclear weapons.

I like to crystalize things down to their essentials and here's the one in play now with regard to nuclear weapons: Do we set a precedent of "I wave my nuclear weapon wand and everyone freezes while I do what I want?" The answer is no. The challenge is how to put that into effect.

Humans are way more clever than we give them credit for. If petroleum went away, we would figure it out. Nuclear reactors alone (a decades old technology) could take over a very large portion of petroleum produced energy. Petroleum's actual economic benefit at this point in time is lower cost and it's portable. Not saying the transition wouldn't be painful and expensive, but I've zero doubt we would adjust.

Simply put, if you had a $1,000,000 on the line for a bet of which country will be better off in 10 years, would you seriously pick Russia? China, maybe. Russia? You gotta be kidding me.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 am

Financial times headline - Britain - Horrific Surge in Energy Bills.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:20 pm

Finland and and Sweden now want NATO membership.
Nice job, Vlad O0
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:33 am

Yes, they were discussing this since some time, but already Medvedev (I think) threatened that if it happens, Baltics will become gunpowder cellar with more than enough loaded nuclear bunkers ready to target the new regions. Though its questionable whether there aren't such bunkers existing already
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:16 pm

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:39 pm

😂 😂
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:27 am

Desert wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:30 pm
From the war humor department:

Putin has warned Finland & Sweden that if they join NATO he will be forced to sink his warships near their coast as well.
:D
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:47 pm

War humor (from a YT video, paraphrasing)

Ukraine has more tanks now than at the beginning of the year thanks to recent tank migrations
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:20 pm

Just looking on this page, the chest thumping americanism, full of hubris, is sickening to me.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:30 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:20 pm
Just looking on this page, the chest thumping americanism, full of hubris, is sickening to me.
Its funny, I think we are very screwed. We are being arrogant to...RUSSIA. Holy S#*$! What happened when we messed with an impoverished country in the middle east, Afganisthan? Russia is 100x more powerful. It's like we are in a hubris death spiral. But anyway. Its what happens after years of supremacy. There is probably no way around it.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:52 pm

This drunk antagonizing Mike Tyson also thought he was clever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3C4pWwDqps
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:43 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:30 pm
murphy_p_t wrote:
Its funny, I think we are very screwed. We are being arrogant to...RUSSIA. Holy S#*$! What happened when we messed with an impoverished country in the middle east, Afganisthan? Russia is 100x more powerful. It's like we are in a hubris death spiral. But anyway. Its what happens after years of supremacy. There is probably no way around it.
"Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad"
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:22 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Chest thumping Americanism, really? I know you said this page and not this thread, but if you skim the thread, here’s what you will find:
- Putin is evil
- The Russians aren’t fighting very well // ok, these two are largely from me, but there’s no hubris
- fog of war. Propaganda on all sides
- NATO got too big. It’s NATO’s fault that Putin is doing what he’s doing. NATO spooked him.
- America did this, American did that. Civil War. Neocons. Grenada, for shit’s sake. My Lai massacre (I moved that to another thread).
- The Russian people are going to suffer (general populace) // me again
- America bad

I don’t doubt that there is chest-thumping on the rest of the internet. However, this is the bizarro version, this forum. Because we don’t have a beautiful anarchy situation, America is evil because MK Ultra happened and the CIA has toppled governments. We’re worse than what China is doing to the Uygurs and we should appease Putin right now and give him what he wants. Give him a chunk of Ukraine and mints on his pillows and all will be well.