IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm

High earners and companies that prospered in the coronavirus crisis should pay additional tax to show solidarity with those who were hit hardest by the pandemic, according to IMF.

A temporary tax would help to reduce social inequalities that have been exacerbated by the economic and health crisis of the past year, the fund said in its twice-yearly fiscal monitor on Wednesday. It would also reassure those worst affected that the fight against Covid-19 is a collective endeavour within societies.

link
Not even attempting to spin it, interesting. To mis-quote Tyler Cowen, "retarded throughout."

This is coming on the heels of a story about the UN having a case of teh sads that some countries have higher interest rate/borrowing costs because they're riskier to lend to.
"You haven't, I suppose, ever mixed with politicians at close quarters. They're awful. I think some of these must have been the dregs anyhow, but I've discovered, what previously I didn't believe possible, that politicians behave in private life and say exactly the same things as they do in public. Their stupidity is inhuman.
- John Maynard Keynes
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Post by pugchief » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm
High earners and companies that prospered in the coronavirus crisis should pay additional tax to show solidarity with those who were hit hardest by the pandemic, according to IMF.

A temporary tax would help to reduce social inequalities that have been exacerbated by the economic and health crisis of the past year, the fund said in its twice-yearly fiscal monitor on Wednesday. It would also reassure those worst affected that the fight against Covid-19 is a collective endeavour within societies.

link
Not even attempting to spin it, interesting. To mis-quote Tyler Cowen, "retarded throughout."

This is coming on the heels of a story about the UN having a case of teh sads that some countries have higher interest rate/borrowing costs because they're riskier to lend to.
Sorry, no such thing.
I would agree it's retarded, but we're not allowed to use that word anymore you retard. :P
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm
I would agree it's retarded, but we're not allowed to use that word anymore you retard. :P
I understand if it's frowned on to call something/someone retarded where it's not relevant, like with dentistry or a plant nursery or something. But what if you work in early childhood development or a government bureaucracy?
"You haven't, I suppose, ever mixed with politicians at close quarters. They're awful. I think some of these must have been the dregs anyhow, but I've discovered, what previously I didn't believe possible, that politicians behave in private life and say exactly the same things as they do in public. Their stupidity is inhuman.
- John Maynard Keynes
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:12 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm
pugchief wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm
I understand if it's frowned on to call something/someone retarded where it's not relevant, like with dentistry or a plant nursery or something. But what if you work in early childhood development or a government bureaucracy?
Kriegs, I was kidding. Just piling on all the not-PC crap. Can't keep it all straight.

Edit: Oh, wait, you were, too.