IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:43 pm

High earners and companies that prospered in the coronavirus crisis should pay additional tax to show solidarity with those who were hit hardest by the pandemic, according to IMF.

A temporary tax would help to reduce social inequalities that have been exacerbated by the economic and health crisis of the past year, the fund said in its twice-yearly fiscal monitor on Wednesday. It would also reassure those worst affected that the fight against Covid-19 is a collective endeavour within societies.

link
Not even attempting to spin it, interesting. To mis-quote Tyler Cowen, "retarded throughout."

This is coming on the heels of a story about the UN having a case of teh sads that some countries have higher interest rate/borrowing costs because they're riskier to lend to.

EDIT: fixed link
Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: IMF proposes ‘solidarity’ tax on pandemic winners and wealthy

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm
I would agree it's retarded, but we're not allowed to use that word anymore you retard. :P
I understand if it's frowned on to call something/someone retarded where it's not relevant, like with dentistry or a plant nursery or something. But what if you work in early childhood development or a government bureaucracy?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:36 am

U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen told lawmakers on Thursday that debt relief for poor and developing countries would be hampered without new funding, while $2.7 billion in current unmet U.S. commitments to the World Bank, International Monetary Fund and other institutions would grow.

"Without new funding, the United States could be forced to delay the multilateral debt process under the Common Framework and charge much higher interest rates on DSSI debt service suspensions," Yellen said.
link
Ahh, so we need to give MORE money to the UN, so that we don't have to receive too much in interest from deadbeat countries?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Similar nonsense from the G7 meeting... https://news.yahoo.com/g7-rivals-china- ... 47736.html
The White House said U.S. President Joe Biden and other G7 leaders hope their global infrastructure plan, known as the Build Back Better World initiative, will help close a $40 trillion infrastructure gap in needy countries.
These clowns are a joke. So a bunch of politicians who have never built anything in their lives and wouldn't know where to start are now going to "Build Back Better" and solve all the world's long existing problems while they are at it. Hope they all held hands and sang "Imagine" before they left.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:38 am

pp4me wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:39 pm
Similar nonsense from the G7 meeting... https://news.yahoo.com/g7-rivals-china- ... 47736.html
The White House said U.S. President Joe Biden and other G7 leaders hope their global infrastructure plan, known as the Build Back Better World initiative, will help close a $40 trillion infrastructure gap in needy countries.
These clowns are a joke. So a bunch of politicians who have never built anything in their lives and wouldn't know where to start are now going to "Build Back Better" and solve all the world's long existing problems while they are at it. Hope they all held hands and sang "Imagine" before they left.
It's a joke. But if they go down this road, be prepared to run for cover. The good intentions don't work and then the fix is to eliminate the "enemies of the state (or party)". Because once they kill the people who threaten the plans, then the plans will work for sure! This time will be different.