Mlb partisanship

whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mlb partisanship

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:09 am

How can this be solved? Coming together as a country feels so hopeless now.

Cancel culture is out of control and it is down right scary.

It feels like we really are under attack by China.

They are using useful idiots to rip our society apart.

Here is how is how our country ends:

Conservatives sick of woke companies sell off ownership of public companies.

China swoops in and owns our country at deep discount.

The end.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Mlb partisanship

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:18 am

This will probably cause further divide but here is how conservatives can stand up to the wokeness if they want to.

There needs to be a mutual fund that only invests in companies that stand up to the woke.

Then meme stock it.

The left will do the same and we will end up more divided.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:42 am

Regrettably I'm going to boycott MLB, and any other companies that deserve it.
This issue is only the latest, with more to come. I hope Georgia holds firm, and is followed by double digits worth of other states. It's time to stand up.

I need to start a secession clock website modeled after the doomsday clock. :)
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:20 pm

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:32 pm

I feel really powerless to boycott any of these "woke" companies though I would like to.

I don't drink coca cola, don't watch baseball or basketball. I did mostly boycott the NFL last year even though I'm a lifelong football fan. Couldn't resist watching the Super Bowl however as I live in the Tampa area and have always been a Tom Brady fan.

Airlines? Was really disappointed to see Southwest getting in on the woke action but not as surprised by American or Delta. But what are you going to do about it? Either not travel or pay more for flights? I'm in the habit of booking the cheapest ones and it will be hard to pay more, especially a lot more, and I doubt that the wokeness will cause me to do it.

Not going to cancel my Amazon Prime membership. They must know that already or they probably wouldn't do the things they do.

I do have a tendency to boycott woke actors. If I see one of them starring in a movie I will skip it most of the time. Doubt that they care.

I think the Georgia legislature was on the right track when they voted to take away Delta''s tax breaks which would have cost them millions of dollars. Unfortunately the senate didn't approve.

Same with the GOP legislation to take away MLB's anti-trust exemption. Should have been done long ago but it's all for show because they don't have the power. And EXCUSE ME, if they did have the power they probably wouldn't have done it any way because they are mostly all talk and no action.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:35 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:09 am

China swoops in and owns our country at deep discount.
Maybe they will be better stewards of it. They might require the leisure class to work.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:48 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:05 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:42 am
Regrettably I'm going to boycott MLB, and any other companies that deserve it.
This issue is only the latest, with more to come. I hope Georgia holds firm, and is followed by double digits worth of other states. It's time to stand up.

I need to start a secession clock website modeled after the doomsday clock. :)
I was already boycotting the disgustingly woke and hypocritical NBA. Boycotting even more boring baseball will be easy.
Well then who's left? Did you see the woke advertising the NFL was putting out during Superbowl? So they're out. NASCAR caved during the Bubba Wallace episode.
I haven't kept up with it, but maybe PGA is still un-woke. NHL hockey might still be an option.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:13 pm

I was already essentially boycotting mlb for a long time since they took it off over the air antenna.

No company really gets much of my money and when they do I try buying cheapest I can so they probably are losing money on me.

That is why I feel like the real boycotting will be stock sell off.

Problem is most conservative companies seem to be private.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:31 pm

I'm not a fan of boycotts in general, but this is just getting to be too much. The inference by all of these companies and leagues and shows is that if you don't hold the proper views, you are deplorable. I'd be a fool to take that and keep giving them my money.

I agree that if they all do it, for instance the airlines, I'd be hurting myself more than them. Although a lot of the other things are much more painless to do without.

I've been watching, reading, and thinking about what to do about the decline of the American republic and western civilization. I'm coming to the realization that these things happen. It was, after all, inevitable. Take necessary measures, but get on with life. So if I have to fly with airlines run by useful idiots, then I will.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:32 pm

I feel really powerless to boycott any of these "woke" companies though I would like to.

I don't drink coca cola, don't watch baseball or basketball. I did mostly boycott the NFL last year even though I'm a lifelong football fan. Couldn't resist watching the Super Bowl however as I live in the Tampa area and have always been a Tom Brady fan.

Airlines? Was really disappointed to see Southwest getting in on the woke action but not as surprised by American or Delta. But what are you going to do about it? Either not travel or pay more for flights? I'm in the habit of booking the cheapest ones and it will be hard to pay more, especially a lot more, and I doubt that the wokeness will cause me to do it.

Not going to cancel my Amazon Prime membership. They must know that already or they probably wouldn't do the things they do.

I do have a tendency to boycott woke actors. If I see one of them starring in a movie I will skip it most of the time. Doubt that they care.

I think the Georgia legislature was on the right track when they voted to take away Delta''s tax breaks which would have cost them millions of dollars. Unfortunately the senate didn't approve.

Same with the GOP legislation to take away MLB's anti-trust exemption. Should have been done long ago but it's all for show because they don't have the power. And EXCUSE ME, if they did have the power they probably wouldn't have done it any way because they are mostly all talk and no action.

Republicans bash themselves over the head in raging against MLB's All-Star Game move

https://www.rawstory.com/republicans-ge ... b-failure/

In the highly unlikely event something might happen to MLB's century-old anti-trust exemption, it would be regarded as a major blow to wealthy MLB owner sports monopolists, almost all of whom are Republicans. And many of whom are among the party's chief financial donors.

Conversely and comically, among the beneficiaries would be professional baseball players, who have been tormented by the exemption since it was guaranteed by a 1922 U.S. Supreme Court decision.

So here's the sweetest irony of the present situation: It was fear of an All-Star boycott by players that was among the main reasons that MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred made the stunning call to move the All-Star Game from Atlanta. Anyone who thinks that a bunch of Republican sports monopolists suddenly woke up with alarm over voter suppression has been snorting the first baseline.

As USA Today reported last October in an extensive study of the political leanings of sports owners, there is no ambiguity about what they said they favor.

"USA Today Sports reviewed the political contributions of 183 owners from 161 teams across MLB, MLS, the NBA, the NFL, the NHL and the WNBA. The filings show that owners have collectively given at least $14.6 million to federal candidates during the 2019-20 election cycle so far – with nearly 86% of those funds going to Republican candidates and causes.

"USA TODAY Sports found that the 10 largest spenders have accounted for roughly two-thirds of the overall political spending by sports ownership during this election cycle, led by San Francisco Giants owner Charles Johnson, who has given more than $3.25 million. In total, 23 owners have donated $100,000 or more."

In the case of MLB owners, the place owners put their money is on the Republican side, by a margin or more than 10 to 1, according to USA Today. As to how these donors might receive their beneficiaries eliminating their anti-trust exemption, consider this report at NBC Sports from last May:

"What is still in place, firmly, is Major League Baseball's ability to work to thwart competitors, if any ever arise, and its ability to carve out protected geographic territories for its clubs and anti-competitive contract rights for its clubs. The Rays can't pick up and move to Brooklyn. Jeff Bezos can fund an eight-team upstart league, try to put it in some cities and Major League Baseball can do all manner of things in concert to stop him that no other businesses could do when faced with competitors.

"They can agree to set salaries for scouts or other team employees who are not part of a union across the league and make rules against hiring players from one another. It can also dictate the terms of employment of minor league players and institute a draft which prevents teams from separately negotiating with amateur players. It's an enormously powerful tool that any business would kill to have but which belongs exclusively to baseball. It's a gift, really."
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:21 am

Here is a recap of what the new law does. This is written and published on a Georgia NPR website so it should not be a conservative source.

I don't see any problems at all. BTW if you haven't heard, the no food or drink to people in line is to prevent electioneering, candidate branded water bottles, etc.

https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/27/wha ... -sb-202-do
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:01 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:18 am
This will probably cause further divide but here is how conservatives can stand up to the wokeness if they want to.

There needs to be a mutual fund that only invests in companies that stand up to the woke.

Then meme stock it.

https://acvetfs.com/

The issue is finding enough conservative companies to invest in. They really just have to omit the most offensive woke ones.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:42 am

jalanlong wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:01 am
whatchamacallit wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:18 am

Then meme stock it.

https://acvetfs.com/

The issue is finding enough conservative companies to invest in. They really just have to omit the most offensive woke ones.
Very interesting. Thank you.

Funds under management are kind off small but underlying holdings is common stock so I don't think there should be much liquidity trouble.

Plus it does appear to at least be beating index for now.

Now we just need Trump to meme it.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 am

pp4me wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:32 pm
IAirlines? Was really disappointed to see Southwest getting in on the woke action...
Have to take that back. Just read that some left wing actors want Southwest boycotted for NOT condemning the GA law. So good for Southwest.

Also read that Colorado, where they moved the all-star game, has election laws similar to the ones that GA just passed which just proves it was just a virtue signaling move and had nothing to do with the details of the law.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:34 am

pp4me wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 am

Also read that Colorado, where they moved the all-star game, has election laws similar to the ones that GA just passed which just proves it was just a virtue signaling move and had nothing to do with the details of the law.
I'm a little surprised by this, because generally speaking, Colorado is supposed to have very liberal voting access. However, I think your second point is absolutely valid, because for anyone with the necessary attention span to actually read the details of the new GA law, it is not nearly as obnoxious as the soundbites are representing.

However there are bolder movements in other states, like Arizona, where legislatures are attempting changes that would create considerably more rigorous voting laws. 23 separate bills in AZ alone. It will be interesting to see if there is any backlash in response to what happens in other states. GA may just be first in line.

On a related note though, it's weird seeing corporations aligned on issues with Democrats, and antagonistic to Republicans, when the exact opposite has been tradition. Corporations do not typically do things out of ideology. This makes me wonder if the trend of companies engaging in "wokeness" is just a pragmatic reflection of their read of the country and the majority of their customer base. If a majority of the country is and continues to shift generationally toward liberal views, then from a branding standpoint, their position is rational.
Their bet may be that those of us that boycott them is just not a meaningful number in comparison to the larger number of people who find appeal in their positions. They may be right and they may be wrong.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 pm

I assume China is being seen as the future of economic growth in the world.

Are our us companies receiving directives from the Chinese government? Follow the money?

From 10 years ago:

More than half the CEOs interviewed spend 20% to 50% of their time dealing with policy issues and the authorities.

https://hbr.org/2010/06/the-globe-the-china-rules

Serious question. Are our wokest companies trying to expand in China?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:11 pm
I assume China is being seen as the future of economic growth in the world.

Are our us companies receiving directives from the Chinese government? Follow the money?

From 10 years ago:

More than half the CEOs interviewed spend 20% to 50% of their time dealing with policy issues and the authorities.

https://hbr.org/2010/06/the-globe-the-china-rules

Serious question. Are our wokest companies trying to expand in China?

MLB boycotts Georgia, signs new deal with Chinese firm that dropped NBA over exec’s Hong Kong support
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:37 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:49 am

On the contrary, if enough red states band together on this, are the woke corporations going to boycott more than half of the US?
I think you're absolutely right. If enough states did so, they would have to blink. Of course, the nature of competition being what it is, other states would roll out the woke carpet and try to seize the opportunity to gain the business. I couldn't predict how the beauty contest would play out and who would blink first.
MangoMan wrote:
By population, roughly half the country is right leaning. And even among the left leaning, not everyone agrees with wokedom. It seems to me that corporations sticking to what they do best and staying out of the political fray altogether would be the smartest play. And that goes double for professional sports.
I don't really know what % of the country leans right vs. left. If it wasn't close, I suppose there wouldn't be a debate, so you're probably close calling it roughly half.
Maybe the bigger question is where it is heading in the future. I think I heard that in 2024 Gen Z and millennials will be the largest age demographic voting bloc, and by 2028 they will dwarf the other age groups. Do they lean right, left, or split down the middle?
Either way, the dominant party of the future will need to appeal to younger voters as a necessity, not an option.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:14 pm

MangoMan wrote:
By population, roughly half the country is right leaning. And even among the left leaning, not everyone agrees with wokedom. It seems to me that corporations sticking to what they do best and staying out of the political fray altogether would be the smartest play. And that goes double for professional sports.

I think it's probably a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. I don't think most CEOs give a rat's A** about the woke stuff but it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. So far the woke mobs have been very successful in getting their way, conservatives not so much, so it makes sense to bet on the horse that's winning - as long as you don't care that much about the principles involved.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:27 pm

Headline on Fox news......

FOX NEWS FLASHPublished 1 hour ago
Georgia Gov. Kemp rips MLB for 'discrepancy' of moving game out of half-black Atlanta to majority white Denver

This is great.

I was watching a podcast by Scott Adams about persuasion techniques and thought he made an excellent point about how Republicans/Conservatives need to combat wokeness by making the other side play by their own rules.

This is a good start so maybe they are catching on to how the game is played.

MLB is obviously racist. People can connect MLB and BLM in their own minds. Same letters only arranged differently.

Next up - it's racist to claim that black people are too stupid to acquire an ID even though it's free in Georgia.

See how it works?
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:31 pm

pp4me wrote:

On a related note though, it's weird seeing corporations aligned on issues with Democrats, and antagonistic to Republicans, when the exact opposite has been tradition. Corporations do not typically do things out of ideology. This makes me wonder if the trend of companies engaging in "wokeness" is just a pragmatic reflection of their read of the country and the majority of their customer base. If a majority of the country is and continues to shift generationally toward liberal views, then from a branding standpoint, their position is rational.
Their bet may be that those of us that boycott them is just not a meaningful number in comparison to the larger number of people who find appeal in their positions. They may be right and they may be wrong.
If it’s true that the avg CEO doesnt care about wokeness, then I just don’t understand why they make the gesture. Even if it’s true that the woke crowd is the loudest, they have short attention spans. Next week they will move on to something else, then something else. All you have to do is say nothing, take the heat for a few days and the culture will move on. There are exceptions like The Washington Redskins because that was on tv every week so people would be constantly reminded. I mean are people still boycotting Equinox Gyms because their CEO held a fundraiser for Trump in 2019? Probably not. It trended for a short while and then faded.

It’s like they say about kids or customers right? If you give in to every demand just to make them go away then they will always want more and more.
Last edited by jalanlong on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:58 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:34 am

pp4me wrote:

I'm a little surprised by this, because generally speaking, Colorado is supposed to have very liberal voting access. However, I think your second point is absolutely valid, because for anyone with the necessary attention span to actually read the details of the new GA law, it is not nearly as obnoxious as the soundbites are representing.

However there are bolder movements in other states, like Arizona, where legislatures are attempting changes that would create considerably more rigorous voting laws. 23 separate bills in AZ alone. It will be interesting to see if there is any backlash in response to what happens in other states. GA may just be first in line.

This article might answer some of your questions.

Vinny

Baseball Says No to Jim Crow 2.0

Major League Baseball is a conservative institution. It speaks volumes that it moved the All-Star Game from Brian Kemp’s Georgia.

https://www.thenation.com/article/socie ... e-georgia/

Yet, in the wake of his party’s historic defeat, Governor Brian Kemp has banked his political future on the fiction that Georgia’s GOP was defeated only because of an absence of this elusive “election integrity.” So the state passed a set of Jim Crow laws buttressed by a set of Jim Crow lies. It’s brazen as hell. Instead of competing for votes, the GOP has gone full white authoritarian in a manner that would make Bull Connor blush. Kemp is serving up these oppressive laws with a hearty helping of slop-Orwellian disinformation: It’s Orwell for people who didn’t do the reading. Or, as Kemp tweeted, presumably while peering up to the sky for lightning bolts, his racist voter suppression bill “expands access to the ballot box and ensures the integrity of our elections.”

In response, Major League Baseball decided to take a stand and move the 2021 All-Star Game out of suburban Atlanta. It was really the only decision the leagues could make. Already, there were rumblings from players and managers about boycotting the game. Already, their own sponsors were pressuring them to do something. The cognitive dissonance of a year when they would be celebrating Atlanta’s own legend, the late Henry Aaron, with Jim Crow Georgia standing as a backdrop proved to be too much to bear.

Immediately, the GOP floodgates opened with one collective whine about “cancel culture” and “the woke mob.” No need to quote them. They are now baying at the moon about baseball, trans kids, Dr. Seuss� pretty much anything to distracct from the unprecedented humanitarian crisis that has taken place on their watch. If there weren’t so many dead bodies strewn about, this latest “cancel culture” mewl would be high comedy. Baseball is about as liberal as George Will. It’s as conservative an institution that we have outside of official GOP circles. MLB is to radical social change what the horse and buggy was to the Model T. If anything, baseball’s revulsion should be a wake-up call to how toxic these obvious, racist voter suppression laws are to corporate America. If even baseball finds you to be too noxious a bedfellow, that should definitely be cause for some kind self-reflection. Instead, Republicans are doubling down in a fit of tantrums and martyrdom that would shame a teenager.

To be clear, baseball did not move because of any kind of threatened players strike or upheaval from below. The players have had no chance to meet and discuss what their approach to the game may have been. This is about the desire of Major League Baseball as an institution to bring the sport into the 21st (or even 20th) century. MLB wants to celebrate Henry Aaron and Jackie Robinson. It wants to embrace the new faces that are making the game, like Kim Ng, Tim Anderson, and Fernando Tatis Jr. This would have been an impossibility with Governor Kemp lurking in the background. There are clearly mixed feelings about this in the league’s various owners’ boxes. The Atlanta Braves released a rather horrible statement, refusing to put the blame for this where it belongs: on Kemp and his ilk who passed these laws. Then there are the Baltimore Orioles, one of several teams to issue statements far better than the Braves’. Franchise owner John Angelos, in a statement cosigned by Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott, wrote,

Yes, there are many political figures in Georgia, like Stacey Abrams, who don’t want to see any kind of economic boycott of their state. But if MLB feels like its brand will be harmed by being in Georgia, whose fault is that? Baseball needed to make this move. It had to finally do more than talk a good game. The legacies of people like Jackie Robinson and Henry Aaron, along with the climate in this country created by the social movements of the last year, put it in a position where there was really only one choice it could make. Baseball has long said the right thing without doing anything. Well, Major League Baseball is finally doing something, and what it is doing, amazingly enough, is the right thing.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Vinny, can you explain why you think black people are too stupid to get free ID cards?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Vinny, can you explain why you think black people are too stupid to get free ID cards?

I'll be like Jesus and respond by answering a question with my own question.

Can you explain why Georgia needed a new set of laws when there were no documented consequential voting fraud but with these news laws creating the consequence of making it more difficult to vote?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 pm
Xan wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:49 pm
I'll be like Jesus and respond by answering a question with my own question.

Can you explain why Georgia needed a new set of laws when there were no documented consequential voting fraud but with these news laws creating the consequence of making it more difficult to vote?
It was probably the undocumented consequential voting fraud. Without measures like this, it's not possible for voting fraud to be documented. Aren't you interested in finding out whether there's fraud?