Sydney Powell's defense

moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sydney Powell's defense

Post by moda0306 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:30 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:58 pm
Actually I think most people who voted for Biden could not tell you what his policies are if you asked them.

They voted for him because they were told so by numerous mainstream media outlets.

If you ask these people for reasons, you would hear the following: 1) they hated trump. 2) sunshine and ponies would fill the skies if Biden got elected. 3) Racial disparities would disappear to the benefit of all. 4) we would welcome "new immigrants" with open arms and to wonderful effect. 5) COVID would disappear because Biden would handle it better than Trump.

I don't think it ever got any more detailed than that.
After 8 years of Obama, who was a young and charismatic guy compared to Biden and the First Black President, and the nativist train-wreck that was Trump and his sycophants coming on the heels of that, why would anyone assume that a senile old gaff-prone white dude would unite anyone to the ridiculous degree your posing. I know nobody that is an enthusiastic Biden supporter. If I had to judge by the attitude of most liberals I know, it was that Biden was an effort to "stop the bleeding" of Trump. And by that I don't mean unity, harmony, open immigration, etc. Just like "getting rid of the toxic dude." So perhaps your first point is correct, but the rest, save maybe improved perceived COVID response are just hyperbole that I don't think apply.

But if we are going to shine a critical eye across the electoral landscape, if anyone had ridiculous expectations and delusions of grandeur about what the effect of this election would be, above and beyond standard American naivete about politics, it's the Trumpanzees.

Of course, I'm already pricing in all the standard partisanship built into most voters, and all the terrible analysis that's woven into that. So I'll fully admit that the cults of statism and Team-D/Team-R are chock full of delusional ideas about how government works, how power is wielded, what their representatives agree/disagree on and why, etc. But that's already woven into the electoral playbook pre-2016, so I mostly find it uninteresting to discuss with reference to unique new traits on display.

Trump helped reveal an entirely new layer of sycophantic stupidity on the right. One that I would've assumed didn't exist before. Of course, some dems reacted to that in some obnoxious ways at times, but of course they did. They're partisans. You don't let your competition vote in such a complete nincompoop and not tear them a new asshole for it. What would you have expected the R's to do if Barack Hussein Obama had 5 kids from 3 wives, cheated on his wife while she was pregnant, bragged about grabbing women by the p*ssy, talked about how much he wanted to f*ck his daughter, and couldn't ever spit out a sentence without a lie, a contradiction and a self-aggrandizement..

R's would have Lost. Their. Fucking. Minds.

And I wouldn't have totally blamed them.
Last edited by moda0306 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:17 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:11 pm
sophie wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:58 pm
Actually I think most people who voted for Biden could not tell you what his policies are if you asked them.

They voted for him because they were told so by numerous mainstream media outlets.

If you ask these people for reasons, you would hear the following: 1) they hated trump. 2) sunshine and ponies would fill the skies if Biden got elected. 3) Racial disparities would disappear to the benefit of all. 4) we would welcome "new immigrants" with open arms and to wonderful effect. 5) COVID would disappear because Biden would handle it better than Trump.

I don't think it ever got any more detailed than that.
No, in fact it was more vague than that: “unity and healing”.
Let's be honest here.....a lot of the Biden votes were fake and sitting in suitcases under the tables. That's why they had to kick out the poll watchers for days while they counted them and board up the windows. Its also why YouTube and twitter/fb kicked off anyone disputing the fraud.

The truth doesn't require protection, lies do.

Obviously the reality that a criminal gang has complete control of the government is too much for some otherwise smart people to handle so they tell themselves and each other that up is down and black is white.
I've never really had a deep trust of elections... or courts... but I'm somewhat surprised the latter wouldn't have found something wrong with the former if lawsuits are actually filed. Especially considering many of the judges were Trump appointees.

Can you describe for me your pre-Trump politics? Were you always skeptical of elections? The Deep State? Judges? Or is this kind of a new thing for you...

I know very few people who I would've said pre-2016 are very anti-establishment. Maybe some libertarian friends, but most of them just don't like taxes and regulations and like to smoke pot. Nothing really deeply woven into the fabric of what the federal government does.

Now I feel like half my Trump-supporting friends/family have this newly-discovered anti-establishment streak, where they don't trust the CIA, FBI, judges, courts, elections, CDC, even corporations, etc. Not that I expect them to, or that they should, but it seems almost entirely motivated by their defense of Trump, and hasn't really caused them to rethink their positions on these agencies (and certainly not ICE) and roles of government more generally, either currently or in the past. To them, the Deep State, to the degree it's a thing that needs to be fought, is simply "liberals in spy/police agencies." These are people who are ok with a ubiquitous police presence, trust ICE, are confident the vast majority of people in prison deserve to be there, barely care about the history of the atrocities of the CIA or the spying of the NSA, believe in the legitimacy of "state's rights" as it pertains to gerrymandering and running elections, actively defend other Republican politicians, trust our military to maintain an aggressive pose against at least a half a dozen countries around the world, some nuclear-armed.

But when it comes to spying on Trump, lying to Trump, counting Trump's votes, hearing Trump's court cases, guiding Trump to the wrong foreign policy decision, etc, these agencies are corrupt to the core.

I really don't get it. We all come to Jesus on the shadiness of our security/police/criminal-justice apparatuses at our own pace (or never at all). I just didn't think I'd see it arrived at so... selectively.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:25 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 pm
I really don't get it. We all come to Jesus on the shadiness of our security/police/criminal-justice apparatuses at our own pace (or never at all). I just didn't think I'd see it arrived at so... selectively.
That's how tribalism works. My team good, your team bad. No one seems to want to itemize each party's positions...unfortunately one of the many weaknesses of a two party winner take all system
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:18 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:53 am
doodle wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 am

Lawyers for pro-Trump attorney Sidney Powell said that “no reasonable person” would believe that her false conspiracies about the 2020 election were “truly statements of fact.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/23/pro-tr ... act.html
Brilliant! If I am ever charged with anything, I am totally going with the Chewbacca Defense. That's why Sydney makes the big bucks. I expect her to prevail.
What's your definition of prevail in this situation?

She might be pioneering what will one day be taught in law school as the c'mon-no-one-takes-me-seriously-and-if-you-did-it's-your-fault defense.