Dr Seuss

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Dr Seuss

Post by Xan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:14 am

I guess my kids' copies of Scrambled Eggs Super and McElligot's Pool are now very valuable!

I've seen the allegedly racist image from Mulberry Street: it's a picture of a Chinese guy eating with chopsticks saying "and a Chinaman who eats with sticks". Well... don't they? And how is that not an early (1937) example of diversity and inclusivity?

I have no idea what's wrong with Scrambled Eggs Super and McElligot's Pool despite having read them many times very recently.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dr Seuss

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 am

I still re-read "Oh, the places you'll go!" every few years.
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:34 am

And yet they are still giving that bastard Fred Rogers a pass.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:00 am

British reporter goes on a priceless rant talking about the cancellation of Little House on the Prairie......

https://youtu.be/tjUH-V3b1IY
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:59 pm

God forbid that somebody as decent and principled as Charles Ingalls might influence culture.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:14 pm

Don't want to give anybody ideas but how long will it be before the Bible gets cancelled? Given the criteria for cancellation, how can it not? Homophobia, transphobia, racism, pro-slavery, genocide, misogyny ...... the list of offenses is endless.

At least it wasn't written by Caucasians so that might be its only salvation.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 pm

vincent_c wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:02 pm
Xan wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:14 am
I guess my kids' copies of Scrambled Eggs Super and McElligot's Pool are now very valuable!

I've seen the allegedly racist image from Mulberry Street: it's a picture of a Chinese guy eating with chopsticks saying "and a Chinaman who eats with sticks". Well... don't they? And how is that not an early (1937) example of diversity and inclusivity?

I have no idea what's wrong with Scrambled Eggs Super and McElligot's Pool despite having read them many times very recently.
I'm Chinese and I am reading Mulberry Street to my 3 year old daughter a few times a week. I noticed a problem with it before I heard about this in the news. But now that people are talking about it, I read it as "a Chinese man who eats with chopsticks"
Apparently printings after the 1970s or so changed to "Chinese man".
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:42 pm

vincent_c wrote:

Xan wrote:

I'm Chinese and I am reading Mulberry Street to my 3 year old daughter a few times a week. I noticed a problem with it before I heard about this in the news. But now that people are talking about it, I read it as "a Chinese man who eats with chopsticks"

What does it actually say? Sorry...I now see that it is above!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:10 pm

The cancellings are being enacted quicker. There seems to be zero ability to ignore mentally ill Twitter users. Truly a sad time to be an American.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:11 pm

My wife knows not to bring sushi home unless chopsticks come with it, and we are as white as sheets of paper.

Am i guilty of something?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 pm
[Apparently printings after the 1970s or so changed to "Chinese man".
I was in Sonoma, CA a few years ago before the fires. And the owner of the steakhouse I was at was pushing some port on me. He said that he had been at a convention and a Chinaman had the best port in the place, so he bought a bunch of it.

It was pretty damn good port.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 am

Incidentally, when looking for children's books for my niece & nephew, I eventually decided on a very old book for the niece (from the 30s, IIRC. They already have every Dr. Seuss book), and one by Jocko Willink for the nephew. Contemporary children's books are complete fucking garbage.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:53 am

A hopeful sign that "cancel culture" won't yet be the last word:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lif ... r-BB1eawKb

Once those titles are out of print, look for someone to make them available as online pdfs. I hope that happens!
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:16 am

sophie wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:53 am

Once those titles are out of print, look for someone to make them available as online pdfs. I hope that happens!
Oh, there are places you can go!
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:12 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 pm
vincent_c wrote:
Xan wrote:

Apparently printings after the 1970s or so changed to "Chinese man".
The other change was that he was no longer painted yellow.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:58 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that no books will be banned or authors cancelled for saying that all whites are racist.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:22 pm

It's not just us racist whites you have to worry about.
The freaking Indians are taking over the country.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:21 am

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:49 am

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:21 am

lgsfglduail61.png

Who is banning books? Isn't this the Libertarian way? A private group, the estate of Dr. Seuss who owns all the books and decides which ones to publish, decided not to publish six books. The government played no role in this.

I'm confused why professed Libertarians have a problem with this.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:22 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:49 am
InsuranceGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:21 am
lgsfglduail61.png
Who is banning books? Isn't this the Libertarian way? A private group, the estate of Dr. Seuss who owns all the books and decides which ones to publish, decided not to publish six books. The government played no role in this.

Now that you put it that way, it's a valid point.
I wonder if you'll get a response.
It does seem very un-Libertarian to complain about what a private party is doing within their own rights, and at at their own market risk.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 am

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:41 am

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 am

vnatale wrote:

glennds wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:22 am

vnatale wrote:

Now that you put it that way, it's a valid point.
I wonder if you'll get a response.
It does seem very un-Libertarian to complain about what a private party is doing within their own rights, and at at their own market risk.

I'm not even engaging since neither of you seem to grasp the concept of humor, especially since you both know my views on liberty. But by all means keep quoting me despite this fact.

Sorry. I missed the humor part of it. And, I don't have embedded in my mind your view on liberty. You can remind and hopefully it will stick with me.

InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:59 am

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:10 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:15 pm

Am I missing something? Amazon banned those Seuss books.

Not "banned". "Dropped".

It's just another way that a private company chooses to conduct it's business same as another private company like eBay deciding to have an incredibly long list of items that are prohibited and restricted to be sold through them: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/proh ... ms?id=4207

In both cases the government is not exhibiting any influence. It's private companies deciding to operate that they want to operate.

They make their choices and they then reap the consequences of the decisions from their markets.

Correct if I'm wrong in believing that is one of the Libertarian tenets? Private companies should be as free as possible to behave and they get rewarded or punished by their markets for those decisions.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 84773.html

Dr. Seuss books soar on Amazon’s best sellers list after publisher drops some titles

Classic Dr. Seuss books are dominating Amazon’s best sellers list despite many people saying the well-known author has been “canceled.”

The author’s rise up the charts comes after Dr. Seuss Enterprises announced this week that it had last year ceased production of six books, citing racist and insensitive imagery.

It fueled talk of “cancel culture,” but that’s not shown on Amazon.

Thirty-four of the top 60 books of all genres on Amazon’s best sellers list are either written and illustrated by Seuss, or a part of his publishing group. This includes the top six books on the chart, led by “The Cat in the Hat.”

You’ll also find “One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish,” “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” and “Green Eggs and Ham” high on the best sellers list. The only book not written by Seuss in the top 10, as of Thursday morning, is “Life After Death: A Novel,” written by Sister Souljah.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:32 pm

As a libertarian (with a small l by the way), I agree that Amazon or the foundation can stop selling the books. That doesn’t mean the reasons are not incredibly moronic. Are libertarians not allowed to talk about that? I think you have a dumb, caricature-ish view of libertarianism. Has anyone here called for government intervention?