The Case for Blue-State Secession

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

It’s the only way to ensure democracy and equal justice, not just for blue-state residents but for citizens in all 50 states.

By Nathan Newman

https://www.thenation.com/article/polit ... ns-senate/

That disparity in Covid relief reflects the broader reality that many blue states send far more in taxes to the federal government than they receive back in public services or other government funding. The Rockefeller Institute of Government found that over a period of five years, New York taxpayers sent $142.6 billion more to the federal government than they received back in federal spending. New Jersey received a similar 91 cents in federal spending for every tax dollar paid, Connecticut 89 cents, Massachusetts 90 cents, and California 99 cents. Compare that with Mississippi, which receives $2.09 in spending for every tax dollar it sends to Washington, D.C.; Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell’s Kentucky, which gets $2.89; and Senator Lindsey Graham’s South Carolina, which receives $1.71.

Given that blue states have higher growth per capita and disproportionately drive the economic dynamism of the current economy, from technology to medicine to creative industries, a blue-state nation would likely attract parts of the red-state nation from which it had seceded, especially those parts that had formerly been swing states. One scenario would thus be a negotiated reconstitution of the United States along more democratic constitutional lines.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Case for Blue-State Secession

Post by Xan »

This ignores that the blue-state country would be completely beholden to the red-state country for a great many necessities. Not so much the other way around.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Case for Blue-State Secession

Post by SomeDude »

I fully support the liberation of the blue states. And then all dem voters from red states can move their and vice versa. Everyone would be much happier.