vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Who needs governments anyway?

Post by vnatale »

Read elsewhere...

Vinny

Who needs governments anyway?
Maybe I shouldn’t get too worked up about any of that because Ohio’s attempts to compete in a race to the bottom are pretty quaint compared to Nevada’s.

Get this:

Planned legislation to establish new business areas in Nevada would allow technology companies to effectively form separate local governments.

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak announced a plan to launch so-called Innovation Zones in Nevada to jumpstart the state’s economy by attracting technology firms, Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Wednesday.

The zones would permit companies with large areas of land to form governments carrying the same authority as counties, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and courts and provide government services.

Congratulations, Governor Sisolak: you re-invented the company town. All you need to do now is to let the corporations you attract print up scrip, open company stores, and allow them to turn their workforce into indentured servants, unable to leave due to the fact that they have an outstanding tab on goods, all of which were marked up by 200%.

It’s so cool to live in a country where corporations are considered to be people when it comes to campaign donations but are not expected to abide by any of the other norms to which people are subjected, up to and including being governed.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who needs governments anyway?

Post by Tortoise »

Mark mentioned this in this other thread a couple of days ago.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who needs governments anyway?

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:41 pm
Mark mentioned this in this other thread a couple of days ago.

Yes. I did remember reading that but could not remember where. However, I believe that Mark had expressed an opinion it may have had been an opposite opinion to the above?

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."