Executive Member
Executive Member

The Five-Second Cancellation of Abraham Lincoln

Post by vnatale »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ource=feed

The Five-Second Cancellation of Abraham Lincoln

by Gary Kamiya
The Atlantic / 2021-02-02 07:11

San Francisco has issued its latest grand moral decree, and bad ex-presidents would be quaking in their coffins�if they could stop laughing.

Finally, as Breed suggested, the fate of a city’s cultural heritage should not be decided either by a handful of community members or by bureaucrats. In my opinion, none of the monuments or artworks that were removed should have been, and few, if any, of the schools should have been renamed. But the opinion of any one individual should not carry more weight than anyone else’s. The mostly aesthetic and historical response to public monuments of people like me should not be dispositive, but neither should the ethical and political responses of those who say they are offended. These are civic questions, which should be determined by robust and open public debate.

In the end, self-righteous symbolic crusades like the school-renaming campaign must not be immune from criticism simply because they purport to fight racial injustice�that noble cause is debaseed by empty gestures that achieve nothing. Indeed, by creating conflict over trivial objectives�just turn on Foox News�they are more likely to harm the cause of societtal progress and racial harmony than to advance it.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Five-Second Cancellation of Abraham Lincoln

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Five-Second Cancellation of Abraham Lincoln

Post by SomeDude »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:24 am This just confirms that our elected leaders are not serious about solving problems, they are content to simply look like they are doing something. All of the money used on this committee and changing school names could have been used to help people that are actually in need or developing programs to help people find higher paying jobs to move into the middle class.
I think it's better spent on the school names. If they give the money to people in need that will just create more needy people. If they try to "develop programs" to give people skills people will regress in skills. They already spent 13 years teaching them in school, what is another month going to do?