Hypocrisy over principles: Biden denies parental leave to Trump aides

InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Hypocrisy over principles: Biden denies parental leave to Trump aides

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Hypocrisy over principles: Biden denies parental leave to Trump aides

Post by glennds »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:13 pm [

Note that in the private sector they would likely be facing a lawsuit for firing people on maternity leave.

I'm not sure this is accurate if we're talking about Trump appointees whose term would end with his.
If we're talking about non-appointed government employees whose employment term was open ended and not tied to the administration, then I think you're right and a subject employer would need to provide FMLA benefits.
But if an employee had a known agreed upon end date to their employment, I don't think the instance of a medical leave would require the employer to extend it.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 pm

If that is the one thing you want to pick out to make a point about, I think you missed the point of the post.

Ultimately I think this is all hypothetical as there isn't a real equivalence in the private sector to a presidential aide. That said, I think you would be hard pressed to stay out of a courtroom if there was uncertainty whether an employee was going to be let go due to a potential merger/acquisition but was approved for FMLA and their FMLA was terminated after it had begun due to that M/A occurring.

Note that I never said a lawsuit would be won, only that a private company would likely be facing a lawsuit.
I think I get it. It sounds like you are disillusioned by conventional D/R politicians whom you see as power hungry hypocrites. Got it.

Your example hit a chord with me, an employer, because while I support measures that prevent employee exploitation, I feel employee self-accountability is important too. When an employee is an appointed member of an administration (either party), they have to know that the change in administration will very probably mean a hard stop to their employment as a matter of common sense. Maybe some were betting that Trump would be re-elected which is - a bet, or assumption on their part.
It's not a political issue, I would feel the same if it were an Obama administration appointment that wanted their benefits extended into the Trump administration term in January 2017.

And yes, I realize this point is not central to your larger disillusionment with major party politicians. But I think there are better examples to support your sentiment.