Censorship continued: first the Parler app then @realDonaldTrump

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Censorship continued: first the Parler app then @realDonaldTrump

Post by doodle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:02 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:18 pm
Mark didn't say they were required to let you do whatever. He just asked whether or not it scared you that they have so much power.
Yes, but it's confusing for me when Mark doesn't seem to fear handing full control of our policing and legal system to private corporations, but fears the power of private corporations who limit speech. It just seems a bit contradictory to me.
Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:48 pm
Doodle, are you incapable of understanding that a person can assess a situation without arguing for any kind of intervention? Do you assume every evaluation is either a complaint or an argument for other people to change?
So you are completely neutral on these events? If your evaluation of these events is that they are dangerous enough to potentially make a doodler afraid what are you suggesting? But maybe your daoist wu wei is just on another level.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:32 pm

doodle wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:02 pm
Xan wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:18 pm
Mark didn't say they were required to let you do whatever. He just asked whether or not it scared you that they have so much power.
Yes, but it's confusing for me when Mark doesn't seem to fear handing full control of our policing and legal system to private corporations, but fears the power of private corporations who limit speech. It just seems a bit contradictory to me.
Mark Leavy wrote:
Doodle, are you incapable of understanding that a person can assess a situation without arguing for any kind of intervention? Do you assume every evaluation is either a complaint or an argument for other people to change?
So you are completely neutral on these events? If your evaluation of these events is that they are dangerous enough to potentially make a doodler afraid what are you suggesting? But maybe your daoist wu wei is just on another level.
Wow, doodle you are drama.

Mark said "Facebook has locked Ron Paul out." You then said based on his 6 word statement that he is "shocked" then proceeded to go on a rant on why he shouldn't be "shocked".

He simply pointed out the obvious. Just like clockwork you go on another tangent.

You really seem to try your best to make this forum a miserable place.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:34 pm

doodle wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:

Yes. Consistently. It works.

You can recognize a threat and decide to act differently without any emotional attachment.

In fact, it works better that way.

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:38 pm
Have you tried voting on the weather?
What is the best system?

Seriously.  Politics is like the weather.

I watch the forecasts.  I follow the trends.  I get angry at the day to day swings.  I shake my tiny fist at the gods.  But I don't cast lots trying to sway the results.

It strikes me that most people on this board have more than a passing ability at math.

When I don't like the weather, I arrange my life so that the storms and flurries don't impact me.  If it is consistently not to my liking, I move.  I move a lot.

I never vote against the weather.  Other than shaking my impotent fist at it.  Or I put on a raincoat.  Or I build a shelter.  Or I move to where the sun shines more often.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:42 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 pm

[edit: Mark posted while I was typing] In other news, Facebook has blocked Ron Paul from managing his page "due to repeatedly going against our community standards". What exactly are their "community standards"?
I haven't looked into this. Was there a specific post from Ron Paul that triggered this?
I don't follow Ron Paul closely, but I'm finding it hard to imagine what he did to get booted. He has a lot of conviction, but not normally in an inflammatory way.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:52 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:42 pm
flyingpylon wrote:

[edit: Mark posted while I was typing] In other news, Facebook has blocked Ron Paul from managing his page "due to repeatedly going against our community standards". What exactly are their "community standards"?
I haven't looked into this. Was there a specific post from Ron Paul that triggered this?
I don't follow Ron Paul closely, but I'm finding it hard to imagine what he did to get booted. He has a lot of conviction, but not normally in an inflammatory way.
I think he probably advocated for Liberty or something foolish... he should have known better.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:55 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:34 pm
doodle wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:

Yes. Consistently. It works.

You can recognize a threat and decide to act differently without any emotional attachment.

In fact, it works better that way.

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:38 pm
Have you tried voting on the weather?
What is the best system?

Seriously. Politics is like the weather.

I watch the forecasts. I follow the trends. I get angry at the day to day swings. I shake my tiny fist at the gods. But I don't cast lots trying to sway the results.

It strikes me that most people on this board have more than a passing ability at math.

When I don't like the weather, I arrange my life so that the storms and flurries don't impact me. If it is consistently not to my liking, I move. I move a lot.

I never vote against the weather. Other than shaking my impotent fist at it. Or I put on a raincoat. Or I build a shelter. Or I move to where the sun shines more often.
HIFFIAUW in a nutshell. I agree, ultimately one best devoted to putting energy into what is under their control.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:03 pm

glennds wrote:
flyingpylon wrote:

Ron Paul's twitter:

"The only thing we posted to Facebook today was my weekly "Texas Straight Talk" column, which I have published every week since 1976."

Interesting post from a woman named Jenn on his twitter feed:

"I posted President Trumps UN speech and was shut down on fb for 24hrs. When I was out of fb jail... they sent a notification saying I could not advertise on or my small business page for 30 days. I am a pain management therapist im a big threat... this is communist"

I would be looking at other career options right now if I was on Mark Zuckerberg's security team. There are a LOT of insane people mixed in the libertarian party.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:07 pm

doodle wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:55 pm
HIFFIAUW in a nutshell.
Damn. There is hope for you.
Respect.

Consider that that filter might apply to a few others on this forum.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:10 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:52 pm
glennds wrote:
flyingpylon wrote:

I think he probably advocated for Liberty or something foolish... he should have known better.
It's called a pre-emptive strike. The crackdowns haven't even started from the government. They will want to make sure there are zero freedom advocates with a major platform before the fun begins.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:38 pm

“With no explanation other than ‘repeatedly going against our community standards,’ @Facebook has blocked me from managing my page. Never have we received notice of violating community standards in the past and nowhere is the offending post identified,” Paul tweeted.

His most recent post linked to an article he wrote denouncing “shocking and chilling” censorship on social media.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 pm

Add Angela Merkel to the list of those concerned with Twitter's censoring:

https://www.thelocal.de/20210111/merkel ... roblematic

or

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... oblematic/
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:55 pm

This stuff plus the impeachment plus whatever comes next is going to backfire in a big way.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:12 pm

doodle wrote:

Yes, but it's confusing for me when Mark doesn't seem to fear handing full control of our policing and legal system to private corporations,

yada yada yada
And one more thing ;)

I wish you would lay off of this ridiculous characterization.

I’m assuming that you are referencing a discussion I had with tech.

He proposed using title insurance as a way to secure private property. I was intrigued by the idea and mused how it could be done. I came down on the side that it would be practical if the title companies hired private security in the same manner as has been proven and widely implemented in other industries.

You jumped to me advocating that proposition.

Please stop. Seriously. Embrace ‘what if’s’
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:16 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:54 pm
Add Angela Merkel to the list of those concerned with Twitter's censoring:

https://www.thelocal.de/20210111/merkel ... roblematic

or

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... oblematic/
Lol

She just thinks she should get to decide who gets to speak, not a company.

Germany does not have freedom of speech. You can get arrested for certain beliefs there if you express them.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:57 pm

doodle wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:27 pm
It just seems like Libertarians here decry government oversight and involvement in private enterprise, but then when private entities behave like this they act shocked and outraged....I'm confused
Yes you are.

Said private entities can do as they like but that doesn't mean libertarians aren't allowed to be shocked and outraged by it.

(I guess it's pick on Doodle day)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:15 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:57 pm

doodle wrote:

It just seems like Libertarians here decry government oversight and involvement in private enterprise, but then when private entities behave like this they act shocked and outraged....I'm confused

Yes you are.

Said private entities can do as they like but that doesn't mean libertarians aren't allowed to be shocked and outraged by it.

However, what comes across to both Doodle and myself (if I am correctly interpreting him) is that this outrage seems to imply that something should be done about it?

What are these things that can be done about it?

Either some government involvement or the private world rising up to provide what the marketplace desires.

We know that the libertarians never want the government solution so we end up confused why other private entities cannot just step up and provide a solution. All I keep hearing is that 73,000.000 people have lost their voices.

I am shocked that no private companies have been in place to immediately swoop down and take advantage of this 73,000,000 person market place just ready to be captured.

Is this not one of those things that could have been well foreseen? The genius of highly competent entrepreneurship is the ability to quickly take care of a marketplace need.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm

So what are the rules?

If I put a billion into re-creating the infrastructure needed for open discussion, is that enough?

Or do I also need to create a banking system - because (reasons).

What about employment for anyone that uses my new infrastructure? Are all of those folks going to be out of work?

Does my business only need to hire folks that don't need to fly? If you use my service, will you not be able to fly?

It's tough to put together a business plan right now.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:15 pm
pp4me wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:57 pm
doodle wrote:
Yes you are.

However, what comes across to both Doodle and myself (if I am correctly interpreting him) is that this outrage seems to imply that something should be done about it?

What are these things that can be done about it?

Either some government involvement or the private world rising up to provide what the marketplace desires.

We know that the libertarians never want the government solution so we end up confused why other private entities cannot just step up and provide a solution. All I keep hearing is that 73,000.000 people have lost their voices.

I am shocked that no private companies have been in place to immediately swoop down and take advantage of this 73,000,000 person market place just ready to be captured.

Is this not one of those things that could have been well foreseen? The genius of highly competent entrepreneurship is the ability to quickly take care of a marketplace need.
I haven't read the whole thread but did anybody actually say that the government should do something about it? If not, then how do you know that is what they are thinking?

I agree that conservatives should start competing with the giant tech companies. I expect to see more of it in the future. A lot of them did see it coming and have things in the works.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:44 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:53 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 pm

Vinny, there are several alternatives to Twatter: Parler and Gab. But these companies keep getting undermined by Big Tech and, so far, the government has done nothing to stop this clear violation of anti-trust laws.

1) I am not seeing a "clear violation".
2) Trump still has an entire Justice Department which he seemingly controls and directs. Why isn't he on this?

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm

So what are the rules?

If I put a billion into re-creating the infrastructure needed for open discussion, is that enough?

Or do I also need to create a banking system - because (reasons).

What about employment for anyone that uses my new infrastructure? Are all of those folks going to be out of work?

Does my business only need to hire folks that don't need to fly? If you use my service, will you not be able to fly?

It's tough to put together a business plan right now.

You raise some excellent questions.

However, don't excellent entrepreneurial companies have things in place to deal with all of this? It just should not have been a shock to all of them that all of this could happen.

I think the biggest shock to all is that Trump could have continued to go off an even deeper end than he had in his nearly four years prior. His after election antics have lost him many supporters, even fellow Trump compliant Republican office holders.

pp4me wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm

I haven't read the whole thread but did anybody actually say that the government should do something about it? If not, then how do you know that is what they are thinking?

I agree that conservatives should start competing with the giant tech companies. I expect to see more of it in the future. A lot of them did see it coming and have things in the works.

At the time I wrote what I wrote I had clearly stated that my assumption was that libertarians would not be advocating for any government involvement. But after I wrote that I did get a response from MangoMan stating his believe that the government should get involved.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 am

Simonjester wrote: The greatest triumphs of propaganda have been accomplished, not by doing something, but by refraining from doing. Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view, is silence about truth. By simply not mentioning certain subjects, by lowering what Mr. Churchill calls an "iron curtain" between the masses and such facts or arguments as the local political bosses regard as undesirable, totalitarian propagandists have influenced opinion much more effectively than they could have done by the most eloquent denunciations, the most compelling of logical rebuttals.
Aldous Huxley
Simon.........

All I can say is thank goodness it was PRIVATE companies that all at once banned communication from the side pointing out massive election fraud. It would be really bad if this came from the incoming illegitimate government that seized power with voting machines switching votes, miscounting them, tens of thousands of fake ballots that only had Biden's name on them, people pulling out suitcases and running the votes through machines in the middle of the night with no observers, 1,000+ affidavits, basically sworn testimony of fraud they witnessed or took part in, driving thousands of filled out ballots across state lines, back dating ballot envelopes on orders of postal and election supervisors, counting for more than a week in some instances, kicking out republican poll watchers and cheering when they were out of the buildings, boarding up windows to prevent observation even after court orders told them to open up, Biden getting 15M+ more votes than Barrack or Hillary despite being extremely unpopular and not campaigning and a red wave dominating the down ballots across the country, Trump picking up 12M more votes legitimately, nearly all in-person from 2016 and winning 18/19 bellwether counties and Iowa, Ohio, and FL.

Thank Goodness it's PRIVATE companies banning discussion of any of this and memory-holing it to protect the incoming illegitimate government. If the illegitimate government was the one doing it we'd all see what tyranny we were under and it would be awful. We'd really be screwed then lol.

Remember, they had to ban all discussion on their platforms of what happened in the election because otherwise the criminal gang assuming power would have had to and that would be bad.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 am

Here is Glenn Greenwald's column today, giving some background about Parler, and laying out the story. Great as usual, and he lays out the case that current leftists are nothing more than political authoritarians. (Which is ironic because all they did was bleat that Trump was a fascist.)

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/how-si ... nopolistic
Critics of Silicon Valley censorship for years heard the same refrain: tech platforms like Facebook, Google and Twitter are private corporations and can host or ban whoever they want. If you don’t like what they are doing, the solution is not to complain or to regulate them. Instead, go create your own social media platform that operates the way you think it should.

The founders of Parler heard that suggestion and tried.
That is because the dominant strain of American liberalism is not economic socialism but political authoritarianism. Liberals now want to use the force of corporate power to silence those with different ideologies. They are eager for tech monopolies not just to ban accounts they dislike but to remove entire platforms from the internet. They want to imprison people they believe helped their party lose elections, such as Julian Assange, even if it means creating precedents to criminalize journalism.
Yet American liberals swoon for this authoritarianism. And they are now calling for the use of the most repressive War on Terror measures against their domestic opponents. On Tuesday, House Homeland Security Chair Bennie Thompson (D-MS) urged that GOP Sens. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley “be put on the no-fly list,” while The Wall Street Journal reported that “Biden has said he plans to make a priority of passing a law against domestic terrorism, and he has been urged to create a White House post overseeing the fight against ideologically inspired violent extremists and increasing funding to combat them.”
Indeed, a Parler executive told me that of the thirteen people arrested as of Monday for the breach at the Capitol, none appear to be active users of Parler. The Capitol breach was planned far more on Facebook and YouTube.
No authoritarians believe they are authoritarians. No matter how repressive are the measures they support — censorship, monopoly power, no-fly lists for American citizens without due process — they tell themselves that those they are silencing and attacking are so evil, are terrorists, that anything done against them is noble and benevolent, not despotic and repressive. That is how American liberals currently think, as they fortify the control of Silicon Valley monopolies over our political lives, exemplified by the overnight destruction of a new and popular competitor.
And, so we are clear here, are any of you (doodle, Vinny) in favor of what's been done to Parler? Or are you just enjoying it because it hurts people you oppose? This is discussed in the article. Please elaborate.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:46 am

FYI, this is obviously a political discussion and you guys have sent me down the rabbit hole. Xan, can you move this to politics (only if you feel I am correct).

And since I am here:

1) All these big tech companies have terms of service. I assume they are pretty well covered. I am sure 10s/100s of people a day get banned for whatever reasons, and you don't hear about it. I am not sure I agree with the move, just stating what I believe are facts.

2) Trump can have 14 press conferences a day. He isn't completely silenced, he's just silenced back to 1990's level. In fact, right now, with whatever 8 days left and what's been going on, EVERY single news outlet would cover a press conference if Trump called one daily.

3) The 73MM people should boycott these companies to the extent possible if they choose. Obviously, somewhat difficult.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 am

And, so we are clear here, are any of you (doodle, Vinny) in favor of what's been done to Parler? Or are you just enjoying it because it hurts people you oppose? This is discussed in the article. Please elaborate.

My reaction is to have no pity for Parler.

I am extremely dependent on computers and all the information I've created. Therefore I own both a lot of computers and a lot external hard drives to preserve my access to both computers and my precious information. For anything else in life that I'm heavily dependent on I generally have more than one so that I'm not going to be stuck.

Parler seems to have not set up no backups for themselves in spite of what has happened to them being far from a remote probability. This is corporate negligence of the highest order.

I've detailed how both Facebook and Twitters have routinely shut me down because of my behavior and how I had to learn the proper behavior so that I would not get "Parler'ed" by either or both of them. They have their rules and if you want to use their free services then you must abide by their rules. Does not matter if you are just a single person like myself or some entity such as parler.com.

The prevailing sentiment in this forum has its usual conspiratorial undertones to it. That all these private corporations are acting in concert with one another.

Another thing I find amusing is that there is so much reviling of the government here with one of the reasons cited is that the government thinks that know what is best for everyone.

From what I've gathered here there do not seem to be any active users of Facebook or Twitter besides me? Yet many are fine with opining what should happen to Facebook and Twitter? Seems to be a somewhat "big government" mentality to me.

Finally, here is a major piece that all who know best seem to be missing precisely because they do seem to know little about either Facebook or Twitter or both.

Facebook and Twitter are in direct competition with one another.

If I'm deciding to spend some time on social media, they are my main two choices.

Sometimes it will be all Facebook. Sometimes it will be all Twitter. Sometimes it will be actively going back and forth (particularly when I'm putting things I find on Twitter to my Facebook page).

But these two social media giants are in direct competition with one another. If each had the power to mandate and control my behavior they'd not allow me to spend ANY time with the other. They want ALL of me. They do not want a shared me.

Therefore, for you conspiracy believers out there....what is in it for each of these companies to conspire with one another on this? How does it help them get more attention than their other main competitor?

I believe I'm continually told here that this country is more conservative than it is liberal.

If that is true, then why did either Twitter or Facebook not seize the competitive advantage of not catering to the liberal perspective but, instead, catering to the conservative perspective?

Does anyone doubt the that main purpose of both Twitter and Facebook is the same as any other mega-corporation -- to earn the maximum profits possible?

Therefore, I can only believe that Twitter / Facebook / Amazon each made their own individual decisions based upon some combination of how it would affect their bottom line and their corporate revulsions of how they've been played and used by Trump to assist him in so many of his vile "accomplishments".

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am

Did you read the article, Vinny?

The answers to your questions are laid out there.