Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Breaking News, Politics version

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:03 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am

Does anyone know how many arrests were made?
Seems like not many. I honestly don’t know.

40+ police injured in this "mostly peaceful" riot?

Also, if a black person had been so proudly sitting in Nancy Pelosi's chair do you think he would NOT have been arrested as the actual guy who did that has not been arrested and who is bragging about sitting in that chair and not being arrested?

Last edited by vnatale on Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:08 am

Yep
"It’s easy to be a communist in a free country. But try being free in a communist country." - @vtchakarova
WhatsApp users can no longer opt out of having their data sent to facebook -Schneier blog
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:37 am

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2021/0 ... -226425637

Excerpt:
“Certain basic religious convictions once transcended our partisan political divides and formed a shared framework for interpreting and adjudicating our political disputes. Our politics played out under the aegis of these shared, fundamental commitments – moral commitments, yes, but more importantly, metaphysical commitments. Politics was not what bound us together most deeply, so our political disputes – even at their most violent – could be judged against some higher, shared point of reference.”
John 3:15-21
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:57 am

doodle wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:53 pm
l82start wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:22 pm
Propaganda is communication that is primarily used to influence an audience and further an agenda, which may not be objective and may be selectively presenting facts in order to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language in order to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is being presented.Propaganda is often associated with material which is prepared by governments, but activist groups, companies, religious organizations, the media, and individuals also produce propaganda.
Pandering is the act of expressing one's views in accordance with the likes of a group to which one is attempting to appeal. The term is most notably associated with politics. In pandering, the views one is expressing are merely for the purpose of drawing support up to and including votes and do not necessarily reflect one's personal values.
it doesn't take a conspiracy for people with power money or an agenda to get them to act in concert, they just need to have the same underling goals ... power, money, control, ideological fervor
See, when I look at Trump I see another member of the elite class consumed by power, money, control, and ideological fervor. I'm not sure why he is supposed to save America from those underlying goals when those seem to be exactly the goals that drive him.
the big lie has been told often enough... so you believe it... no fixing that...
but look at the republicans (and the dems and the media and big tech etc etc etc) and how they are playing the game, they all know what side their bread is buttered on, and are keeping that side up... if trump is a power mad money hungry control freak ---- HE IS THE MOST UNSUCCESSFUL ONE EVER---

oh well... nothing we can do about any of it now.. the dystopian future you dream of, and support, is on its way..
.. congratulations ..
Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:16 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:03 am
dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 am
dualstow wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am
Does anyone know how many arrests were made?
Seems like not many. I honestly don’t know.
40+ police injured in this "mostly peaceful" riot?

Also, if a black person had been so proudly sitting in Nancy Pelosi's chair do you think he would NOT have been arrested as the actual guy who did that has not been arrested and who is bragging about sitting in that chair and not being arrested?
Vinny, this is the second time you have brought up race. Is it your position that the Capitol Police are racist?

Other than hypotheticals, what evidence do you have to support that?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:17 am

Is anyone able to provide to us here today's Wall Street Journal's editorial which calls for Trump to resign?

Thanks

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:21 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:17 am
Is anyone able to provide to us here today's Wall Street Journal's editorial which calls for Trump to resign?
I’ll supply 3 paragraphs:

But impeachment so late in the term won’t be easy or without rancor. It would further enrage Mr. Trump’s supporters in a way that won’t help Mr. Biden govern, much less heal partisan divisions. It would pour political fuel on Wednesday’s dying embers.

All the more so because Democrats aren’t likely to behave responsibly or with restraint. They are already stumping for impeachment articles that include a litany of anti-Trump grievances over four years. Mrs. Pelosi’s ultimatum Thursday that Mr. Pence trigger the 25th Amendment or she’ll impeach also won’t attract GOP votes.

Democrats would have more impeachment credibility now if they hadn’t abused the process in 2019. A parade of impeachers that includes Russian-collusion promoters Reps. Adam Schiff and Jerrold Nadler would repel more Americans than it would persuade. The mission would look like political revenge, not constitutional enforcement—and Mr. Trump would play it as such until his last breath. Mr. Biden could gain much goodwill if he called off the impeachers in the name of stepping back from annihilationist polItics.
"It’s easy to be a communist in a free country. But try being free in a communist country." - @vtchakarova
WhatsApp users can no longer opt out of having their data sent to facebook -Schneier blog
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:47 am

I believe the conclusion is that it isn't worth it to try to force him out, and that he should (but probably won't) resign on his own.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:20 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:47 am
I believe the conclusion is that it isn't worth it to try to force him out, and that he should (but probably won't) resign on his own.
There was some interesting discussion on CNN this morning between David Gergen and former Congressman Mike Rogers. The upshot was that we ought to let President elect Biden take the lead because he owns this mess after January 20th. Biden has no appetite for punishing Trump right now, and rightly so. As much as tempers and outrage are calling for punishment of some type, doing so would just further inflame an already very bad situation.

The better thing to do might be a vote of censure in Congress, which would probably pass pretty easily. Pence could call a cabinet meeting, without necessarily acting on the 25th Amendment per se, but instead signaling that the possibility is there. He'd be sending a signal of reassurance to the national security, military apparatus, and global community in doing so. The threat of embarrassment is probably as good a deterrent as any with a personality like Trump.
It would be a brilliant move for Pence because he shows his leadership and preserves his political career, but there's a hedge because he doesn't actually "do" anything that Trump or his supporters can sink their teeth into. All he would have done was hold a classified cabinet meeting and let everyone else speculate about what was discussed.

These guardrails would probably effectively put a leash on Trump for the next 12 days which is the best least bad alternative. Oh and keeping him cut off from social media would probably also be a good thing.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 am

90% of input from the public to C-Span today is calling for Trump's impeachment or removal.....

....the host in response to a caller complaint that the host had not been reading anything supporting Trump....

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:06 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 am
90% of input from the public to C-Span today is calling for Trump's impeachment or removal.....

....the host in response to a caller complaint that the host had not been reading anything supporting Trump....
I'm thinking when trying to drain the swamp, there were a lot more swamp things than President Trump realized. Do we need more Adrienne Barbeaus?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084745/

John 3:15-21
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:11 am

So what is going on with Parler.com?

I entered three straight of the annoying Captcha's and keep getting this in response?

"Internal server error, developers have been notified"

Why do they ever require a Captcha? Neither Facebook or Twitter require one when logging in.