Breaking News, Politics version

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Breaking News, Politics version

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:14 pm

SomeDudes are Rioting at the Capitol Following Encouragement from Trump.
Yikes.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Breaking News, Politics version

Post by Vil » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:23 pm

Is it that often what happens right now - CNN talks with 2 republican congressmans that both advice Trump to call it over ... :D Some guys just broke a window and entered Capitolia.. reminds me for Europe in 1989...
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:27 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:14 pm
Yikes.
I see what you did there...
8)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:34 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:14 pm

Yikes.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1346911809274478594

If you can view this you can see that if the police had used 1/100 the amount of force they'd routinely use against certain other protestors.....this crowd would have easily backed right down.

Hard to believe if all the protestors were black they would have been treated with such deference and kid gloves and zero aggression towards them.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:37 pm

I can view the tweet, but I don't know what you're talking about. (Edit: now I do, because I switched to CNN)
The Capitol police called for additional aid.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm curious whether the die-hard Trump supporters here have had their personal lines crossed by recent events.

Update: Trump has apparently called for the protestors to go home peacefully. So he's not egging them on.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:13 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:37 pm
I'm curious whether the die-hard Trump supporters here have had their personal lines crossed by recent events.

Update: Trump has apparently called for the protestors to go home peacefully. So he's not egging them on.
He has egged them on for 5 years. One pitiful last minute plea is going to do what? And he still talks about his landslide win in the video. Dick.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.06 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Of course breaking into the Capitol building and committing any kind of violence is unacceptable.

But the easy and intellectually lazy response is "it's all Trump's fault". As often happens with these fast-moving events, it will take time to discover and understand all of the details and sort through the competing narratives.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:34 pm
Hard to believe if all the protestors were black they would have been treated with such deference and kid gloves and zero aggression towards them.
Not hard for me.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (64.24 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:20 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm
Capture.JPG
I think that's Tech...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:48 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm

vnatale wrote:

Not hard for me.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (115.52 KiB) Viewed 4510 times
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:01 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:48 pm
pp4me wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 pm
vnatale wrote:
Not hard for me.
Capture.JPG
Well, I remember seeing businesses being burned to the ground and statues being toppled all over the country in the past year and democrats in authority doing nothing to stop it. If you only watched CNN and MSNBC maybe you didn't see it but they covered it on Fox News.

My congratulations to the protestors who managed to breach the capital. Neither BLM, Antifa, nor the Vietnam Anti-war protestors of which I was one ever accomplished that feat.

A great day in American History IMHO. Let it live long in the history books.

Correction: The Black Panthers breached the capitol in 1967 .... https://capitolweekly.net/black-panther ... 0Panthers.
Last edited by pp4me on Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:03 pm

Xan wrote:

Xan, have you heard any of the transcript from his morning rally that led up to the events?

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:06 pm

glennds wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:03 pm
Xan wrote:

Xan, have you heard any of the transcript from his morning rally that led up to the events?
I have not. Was it bad?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:23 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:27 pm
I see what you did there...
8)
vnatale wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 pm
Capture.JPG
..some dudes...
See, Mark? 😂
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:33 am

On a lighter note ;D
Politics meets The Rocky Horror Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=503KnnUYCPU

PS: 20 April – ABC comedy series The Dingo Principle broadcasts a mock interview with the Ayatollah Khomeini, which results in diplomatic tensions with Iran, including the expulsion of two Australian diplomats. Two weeks later, the ABC receives a letter of complaint from the Soviet embassy regarding a skit lampooning Russian figures Mikhail Gorbachev and Vladimir Lenin.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:32 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:33 pm
Of course breaking into the Capitol building and committing any kind of violence is unacceptable.

But the easy and intellectually lazy response is "it's all Trump's fault". As often happens with these fast-moving events, it will take time to discover and understand all of the details and sort through the competing narratives.
It is indeed and I wouldn't support it for a second.

However, I find it interesting that the media widely condemned the protester's actions, even going so far as to say that it "threatened the Republic" whatever that means, after spending several months condoning much worse violence by BLM.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:22 am

sophie wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:32 am
flyingpylon wrote:

However, I find it interesting that the media widely condemned the protester's actions, even going so far as to say that it "threatened the Republic" whatever that means, after spending several months condoning much worse violence by BLM.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:23 am

From NYT:

For weeks, President Trump and his supporters had been proclaiming Jan. 6, 2021, as a day of reckoning. A day to gather in Washington to “save America” and “stop the steal” of the election he had decisively lost, but which he still maintained — often through a toxic brew of conspiracy theories — that he had won by a landslide.

And when that day came, the president rallied thousands of his supporters with an incendiary speech. Then a large mob of those supporters, many waving Trump flags and wearing Trump regalia, violently stormed the Capitol to take over the halls of government and send elected officials into hiding, fearing for their safety.

But if the chaos in the Capitol shocked the country, one of the most disturbing aspects of this most disturbing day was that it could be seen coming. The president himself had all but circled it on the nation’s calendar.

“Big protest in D.C. on January 6th,” Mr. Trump tweeted on Dec. 19, just one of several of his tweets promoting the day. “Be there, will be wild!”

--------------
Nah, he had NOTHING to do with this at all. He didn't egg them on. He didn't call for them to come to Washington.

Let me be 100% clear here. I do not and did not support any of the violence that happened over the summer either. Jesus, this is the capitol of the United States. I have to agree with many comments I have heard that if the crowd looked like BLM protesters, there would be a lot more dead and arrested people today vs. the relatively very light treatment these people got.

I hope every face is put into a recognition system and these people get the book thrown at them.

It was really like the zombie apocalypse.

And this nut. Hope he twisted an ankle at least

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am

Does anyone know how many arrests were made?
Seems like not many. I honestly don’t know.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:06 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:23 am
Nah, he had NOTHING to do with this at all. He didn't egg them on. He didn't call for them to come to Washington.

Let me be 100% clear here. I do not and did not support any of the violence that happened over the summer either. Jesus, this is the capitol of the United States. I have to agree with many comments I have heard that if the crowd looked like BLM protesters, there would be a lot more dead and arrested people today vs. the relatively very light treatment these people got.

I hope every face is put into a recognition system and these people get the book thrown at them.

It was really like the zombie apocalypse.
Can't say I've seen anyone saying Trump had nothing to do with it at all. But context is everything. People are being foolish if they disregard the decades of neglect of millions of average Americans that led to Trump, the relentless attacks on him and his supporters, and the complete lack of accountability for the bad behavior of politicians, our critical institutions, and much of the media. Add in our chaotic, non-transparent election system and no real adjudication of objections based on the merits and some people are finally going to lose their sh*t at some point.

Too many people feel they are not being heard and supported by their government. They come from different perspectives and express it in different ways, but that's what is at the root of all of this.

People that commit crimes should suffer the consequences, no matter who they are. But that's not what we've been seeing recently and this is what happens when people are not treated equally under the law. Otherwise law-abiding citizens reach a point where all they can do is lash out because that's what gets attention.

It will take time to understand the failures of the Capitol Police and their security plan. But the fact is that BLM (with the help of ANTIFA) has a history of violent protests. Over 4+ years and dozens of large, boisterous rallies, Trump supporters do not. That easily could have been a factor in the different approach.

Also... the guy in the last photo is dressed in all black, with a black backpack and a helmet. How many Trump supporters dress like that? Not saying it's impossible, but it's also possible that not everything is what it seems.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 am

sophie wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:32 am
flyingpylon wrote:

Which is the most telling aspect of all this. For the entire summer, the darlings of the "progressive" Left set entire cities on fire, and were were told that what was needed was a "national conversation."

What a pathetic pile of hypocrites.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:11 am

It was clearly Trump's words -- quoted in Corto's post-- that drew this mob. However, I think they're going to cause trouble this year after Trump is out of office.