Breaking News, Politics version

SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Breaking News, Politics version

Post by SomeDude »

Maddy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:21 pm I think anybody that has anything to say about yesterday's comparably mild display of civil disobedience should have to explain why there are two different sets of rules for liberals and conservatives when it comes to political protest.
Below is i think a fair comparison of the two.

Please note that while the antagonist in the cartoon is depicted as an angry black woman, the majority of the BLM "protestors" were in fact pasty white vegans (no offense Vinny) and large blue haired white women so please have a sense of humor here.
Attachments
dpst.jpg
dpst.jpg (87.99 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:45 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:29 pm
I also fully subscribe to what Cortopassi stated above: the "old Occam's razor thing".

The modern, heavily corrupted and distorted interpretation of Occam's razor is ridiculous.
The simplest answer is always the one most aligned with your own priors.

Even if you go back and read William of Okham's original treatises on logic, he was a bit of a pisser. A cafe pontificator.

Not saying your conjectures are wrong, just your reasoning.

I trust what you say in your first two paragraphs and will take it under advisement for any future times I elect to cite Occam's razor.

Can you further elaborate on your third paragraph, please?

Thanks

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

SomeDude wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:31 pm
Maddy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:21 pm
I think anybody that has anything to say about yesterday's comparably mild display of civil disobedience should have to explain why there are two different sets of rules for liberals and conservatives when it comes to political protest.

Please note that while the antagonist in the cartoon is depicted as an angry black woman, the majority of the BLM "protestors" were in fact pasty white vegans (no offense Vinny) and large blue haired white women so please have a sense of humor here.

NO offense taken because that does not describe me!

I get out in the sun as much possible. So much so that one-time in the 80s while at a doctor's visit I asked my doctor if I had to worry about getting too much sun. I'll never forget his reply of: "Not for a swarthy individual such as yourself".

As a genetically 100% Southern Italian I get quite dark from all that sun. So dark that my skin becomes darker than some of the more pale Afro-Americans.

Vinny 9:52
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:52 pm I trust what you say in your first two paragraphs and will take it under advisement for any future times I elect to cite Occam's razor.

Thanks
I support the conclusions that you came to, my swarthy friend. But it reduces your credibility when you fall back on clichés as if they support your thesis. No issue. We all do it at times.
vnatale wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:29 pm ...
I fully believe that in our country the power resides in the mega-corporations. Through various means they get our politicians to do things certain ways that will maximally benefit them. But, again, as in the above. these corporations are NOT conspiring with one other because they are also in competition with one another. They are each trying their best to get things a certain way to maximally benefit them, to the detriment of other corporations trying to do the same.
I agree with all of that. It stands on its own.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Simonjester wrote:
Propaganda is communication that is primarily used to influence an audience and further an agenda, which may not be objective and may be selectively presenting facts in order to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language in order to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is being presented.Propaganda is often associated with material which is prepared by governments, but activist groups, companies, religious organizations, the media, and individuals also produce propaganda.
Pandering is the act of expressing one's views in accordance with the likes of a group to which one is attempting to appeal. The term is most notably associated with politics. In pandering, the views one is expressing are merely for the purpose of drawing support up to and including votes and do not necessarily reflect one's personal values.
it doesn't take a conspiracy for people with power money or an agenda to get them to act in concert, they just need to have the same underling goals ... power, money, control, ideological fervor
See, when I look at Trump I see another member of the elite class consumed by power, money, control, and ideological fervor. I'm not sure why he is supposed to save America from those underlying goals when those seem to be exactly the goals that drive him.
Simonjester wrote: the big lie has been told often enough... so you believe it... no fixing that...
but look at the republicans (and the dems and the media and big tech etc etc etc) and how they are playing the game, they all know what side their bread is buttered on, and are keeping that side up... if trump is a power mad money hungry control freak ---- HE IS THE MOST UNSUCCESSFUL ONE EVER---

oh well... nothing we can do about any of it now.. the dystopian future you dream of, and support, is on its way..
.. congratulations ..
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:52 pm
I trust what you say in your first two paragraphs and will take it under advisement for any future times I elect to cite Occam's razor.

Thanks

I support the conclusions that you came to. But it reduces your credibility when you fall back on clichés as if they support your thesis. No issue. We all do it at times.

Thanks for the further explanation. Quite helpful. We shall see if I can retain it. You have my full permission to give me a "slap on the wrists" any future time you catch me again doing it!

Thanks again.

Vinny 10:54
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

SomeDude wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:31 pm
Maddy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:21 pm I think anybody that has anything to say about yesterday's comparably mild display of civil disobedience should have to explain why there are two different sets of rules for liberals and conservatives when it comes to political protest.

Yeah that's a real fair comparison, since we saw Capitol police mostly playing patty cake with the Proud Boys, while all summer we were met with a deluge of police abuses.

FTP.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

dualstow wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am Does anyone know how many arrests were made?
Seems like not many. I honestly don’t know.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 am
dualstow wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am
Does anyone know how many arrests were made?

40+ police injured in this "mostly peaceful" riot?

Also, if a black person had been so proudly sitting in Nancy Pelosi's chair do you think he would NOT have been arrested as the actual guy who did that has not been arrested and who is bragging about sitting in that chair and not being arrested?

Last edited by vnatale on Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yep
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2021/0 ... -226425637

Excerpt:
“Certain basic religious convictions once transcended our partisan political divides and formed a shared framework for interpreting and adjudicating our political disputes. Our politics played out under the aegis of these shared, fundamental commitments – moral commitments, yes, but more importantly, metaphysical commitments. Politics was not what bound us together most deeply, so our political disputes – even at their most violent – could be judged against some higher, shared point of reference.”
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:03 am
dualstow wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 am
dualstow wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am Does anyone know how many arrests were made?
40+ police injured in this "mostly peaceful" riot?

Also, if a black person had been so proudly sitting in Nancy Pelosi's chair do you think he would NOT have been arrested as the actual guy who did that has not been arrested and who is bragging about sitting in that chair and not being arrested?
Vinny, this is the second time you have brought up race. Is it your position that the Capitol Police are racist?

Other than hypotheticals, what evidence do you have to support that?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Is anyone able to provide to us here today's Wall Street Journal's editorial which calls for Trump to resign?

Thanks

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:17 am Is anyone able to provide to us here today's Wall Street Journal's editorial which calls for Trump to resign?
I’ll supply 3 paragraphs:

But impeachment so late in the term won’t be easy or without rancor. It would further enrage Mr. Trump’s supporters in a way that won’t help Mr. Biden govern, much less heal partisan divisions. It would pour political fuel on Wednesday’s dying embers.

All the more so because Democrats aren’t likely to behave responsibly or with restraint. They are already stumping for impeachment articles that include a litany of anti-Trump grievances over four years. Mrs. Pelosi’s ultimatum Thursday that Mr. Pence trigger the 25th Amendment or she’ll impeach also won’t attract GOP votes.

Democrats would have more impeachment credibility now if they hadn’t abused the process in 2019. A parade of impeachers that includes Russian-collusion promoters Reps. Adam Schiff and Jerrold Nadler would repel more Americans than it would persuade. The mission would look like political revenge, not constitutional enforcement—and Mr. Trump would play it as such until his last breath. Mr. Biden could gain much goodwill if he called off the impeachers in the name of stepping back from annihilationist polItics.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

I believe the conclusion is that it isn't worth it to try to force him out, and that he should (but probably won't) resign on his own.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Xan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:47 am I believe the conclusion is that it isn't worth it to try to force him out, and that he should (but probably won't) resign on his own.
There was some interesting discussion on CNN this morning between David Gergen and former Congressman Mike Rogers. The upshot was that we ought to let President elect Biden take the lead because he owns this mess after January 20th. Biden has no appetite for punishing Trump right now, and rightly so. As much as tempers and outrage are calling for punishment of some type, doing so would just further inflame an already very bad situation.

The better thing to do might be a vote of censure in Congress, which would probably pass pretty easily. Pence could call a cabinet meeting, without necessarily acting on the 25th Amendment per se, but instead signaling that the possibility is there. He'd be sending a signal of reassurance to the national security, military apparatus, and global community in doing so. The threat of embarrassment is probably as good a deterrent as any with a personality like Trump.
It would be a brilliant move for Pence because he shows his leadership and preserves his political career, but there's a hedge because he doesn't actually "do" anything that Trump or his supporters can sink their teeth into. All he would have done was hold a classified cabinet meeting and let everyone else speculate about what was discussed.

These guardrails would probably effectively put a leash on Trump for the next 12 days which is the best least bad alternative. Oh and keeping him cut off from social media would probably also be a good thing.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

90% of input from the public to C-Span today is calling for Trump's impeachment or removal.....

....the host in response to a caller complaint that the host had not been reading anything supporting Trump....

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 am 90% of input from the public to C-Span today is calling for Trump's impeachment or removal.....

....the host in response to a caller complaint that the host had not been reading anything supporting Trump....
I'm thinking when trying to drain the swamp, there were a lot more swamp things than President Trump realized. Do we need more Adrienne Barbeaus?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084745/

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

So what is going on with Parler.com?

I entered three straight of the annoying Captcha's and keep getting this in response?

"Internal server error, developers have been notified"

Why do they ever require a Captcha? Neither Facebook or Twitter require one when logging in.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:12 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:11 am
So what is going on with Parler.com?

I entered three straight of the annoying Captcha's and keep getting this in response?

"Internal server error, developers have been notified"

Why do they ever require a Captcha? Neither Facebook or Twitter require one when logging in.

Parler is probably being hacked by Twitter. Can't have any competition you know.... [/sarcasm]

Or, Parler.com is still at AAA status and not yet Major League? Can you get in?

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Xan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:47 am I believe the conclusion is that it isn't worth it to try to force him out, and that he should (but probably won't) resign on his own.
And that democrats definitely suck, too.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

tomfoolery wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:48 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:20 pm
It's over. Trump is done. I think he's sealed his fate. There will be no 2024 run. At this point, he may not even make it as president to Jan 20, 2021.
I think Trump has an even stronger chance of not only running in 2024 but of actually winning in 2024. Polarization of the populace works both ways.
I think much will depend on what the Democrats do with their two years of total control of the US government. If they push through a lot of inflammatory things like packing the Supreme Court, passing a wealth tax, and throwing the southern border wide open, they will further antagonize the "deplorables" who will once again make their presence known. A more conciliatory approach is less likely in my view, but it is the only way that the half of the country which is justifiably pretty angry right about now will calm down. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

And I wonder if, with four years to plan, right-wing groups can figure out ways to prevent large-scale voter fraud in the next election. All they really have to do is step up surveillance and stay put in the early hours of the morning when the alleged vote dumping occurred.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

sophie wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:54 pm
tomfoolery wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:48 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:20 pm
It's over. Trump is done. I think he's sealed his fate. There will be no 2024 run. At this point, he may not even make it as president to Jan 20, 2021.
I think Trump has an even stronger chance of not only running in 2024 but of actually winning in 2024. Polarization of the populace works both ways.
I think much will depend on what the Democrats do with their two years of total control of the US government. If they push through a lot of inflammatory things like packing the Supreme Court, passing a wealth tax, and throwing the southern border wide open, they will further antagonize the "deplorables" who will once again make their presence known. A more conciliatory approach is less likely in my view, but it is the only way that the half of the country which is justifiably pretty angry right about now will calm down. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

And I wonder if, with four years to plan, right-wing groups can figure out ways to prevent large-scale voter fraud in the next election. All they really have to do is step up surveillance and stay put in the early hours of the morning when the alleged vote dumping occurred.
Is there any historical instance of a completely fraudulent election being followed up by an honest one?

If we couldn't get a real election with Trump as president, we are not getting one with Biden or Harris in. They can literally change hundreds of thousands of votes and no court or Congress will even hear the evidence. They will vote in the middle of the night to hide their crimes like weasels when no one is watching, just like on election day.

No one has ever voted themselves out of tyranny.

This was the last chance at peaceful resolution. The Government has sown the wind and will reap the whirlwind. 40% of the country believes the election was rigged and it's 90% probably of the armed and ex-military. And certainly a large number of the current police and military, just probably not the police in the big cities and certainly not in their leadership.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

sophie wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:54 pm I think Trump has an even stronger chance of not only running in 2024 but of actually winning in 2024. Polarization of the populace works both ways.

I see things a little differently. I do not expect the patriots to back down. This is, in the estimation of an overwhelming portion of the population, a do-or-die moment in history, where you either resist the top-to-bottom corruption in government that culminated in a thoroughly fraudulent election or you resign yourself to the complete and total loss of this country. Take a look at what Lindsay Graham was confronted with while walking through an airport today. https://twitter.com/iheartmindy/status/ ... 43904?s=10 He was spat upon and derided by people screaming that he was a "piece of shit," a "traitor." I'd predict that this is only the beginning, with our without Donald Trump.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

SomeDude wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:14 pmThis was the last chance at peaceful resolution. The Government has sown the wind and will reap the whirlwind. 40% of the country believes the election was rigged and it's 90% probably of the armed and ex-military. And certainly a large number of the current police and military, just probably not the police in the big cities and certainly not in their leadership.
Citations please? I've seen numbers that say 40% of people believe there was election fraud. Is that net fraud that helped Biden? If that wasn't specifically asked, then the numbers go lower. Is that net fraud that changed the overall outcome? If that wasn't specifically asked, then the numbers go down again. Was it fraud that caused the greatest landslide victory in history to turn into a nail-biting win? Well, if that wasn't asked, then the numbers go down further.

I recommend a little more skepticism in your news. Remember when you believed that 6 or so states had actually sent competing slates of electors to Washington? If you believe that, then it really does make sense for Congress to be debating which ones to accept. You did believe it, then were corrected, but didn't allow the correction to change your views.

When you read something that is explosive, maybe take a little time to think about it, verify it, before inwardly digesting it. That 40% number is NOT a list of people who want to take up arms against the government. There were ZERO states that sent competing electors.