Why are people flocking to FL and TX? Are they idiots?

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Why are people flocking to FL and TX? Are they idiots?

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:15 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:46 pm
My question is where will they flock when all the transplants fleeing NY NJ CA IL vote FL & TX blue and then don't want to live in the mess they created? What's that old saying about lying in the bed you made? ::)
During about the last 30 years, Texas has picked up hundreds of thousands of people fleeing California. But in that same time, Texas has gone from strongly Democrat to strongly Republican. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Texas for details. Of course wikipedia is very left-wing so the "analysis" is largely left-wing propaganda, but I don't think they just made up the statistics.

How can this be? Because most of the people fleeing weren't left-wing Democrats, but people who just want to be left alone.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:54 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:15 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:46 pm
My question is where will they flock when all the transplants fleeing NY NJ CA IL vote FL & TX blue and then don't want to live in the mess they created? What's that old saying about lying in the bed you made? ::)
During about the last 30 years, Texas has picked up hundreds of thousands of people fleeing California. But in that same time, Texas has gone from strongly Democrat to strongly Republican. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Texas for details. Of course wikipedia is very left-wing so the "analysis" is largely left-wing propaganda, but I don't think they just made up the statistics.

How can this be? Because most of the people fleeing weren't left-wing Democrats, but people who just want to be left alone.
Bingo and this is a very good trend it continues. It will take congressional seats and electoral votes away from blue states. As a floridian i fully support freedom loving people swarming here.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:57 pm

I saw Texas gubner talk about exit polling they’ve done. Of California transplants, 57 percent voted republican.

So maybe we are laboring under a mistaken assumption.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:27 pm

You know, if the Republican party would drop the Evangelical anti abortion thing, come around on environmental issues, and come up with some sort of a plan for healthcare other than anti-obamacare they could pick up quite a few more votes. Are any of those issues going to be deal breakers for their current constituents? Probably not...and besides, in a two party system where are they going to flee to anyways? But what do I know...I fled Florida
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:18 am

Simonjester wrote: texans have one or two high population city's that are blue, like anywhere the blue gains (even CA), its not the state that is blue its a few high population areas...
As we have said before in so many words, there are those who have been convinced they need to depend on others (mainly the government) to supply their needs and force their views on others, and those who stay convinced they need to depend on God and themselves for their needs and source of stability. I think it tends to lean towards urban and rural but It's not nearly that distinct. Maybe it's utopians and pragmatics, or perhaps elitists and those who are more humble. It's interesting to ponder the underlying causes or sources of the various beliefs or worldviews.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:19 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:15 am
Simonjester wrote: texans have one or two high population city's that are blue, like anywhere the blue gains (even CA), its not the state that is blue its a few high population areas...
IL is like that. The Chicago area is blue and the rest of the state solidly red. Yet it hasn't been considered a possibility for a repub in a presidential election in eons. So how long before the same can be said of TX?
You guys are making this seem like the distance between Democrats and Republicans is vast. Most people have very similar opinions on issues. The extreme idealogues that we use to characterize the parties exist only on the fringes. Most people are centrists. The Republicans could pick up a huge swath of voters by simply modyfying their position on a few issues.
Simonjester wrote: maybe democrats should modify their position on a few issues .. abortion and second amendment would be a good place to start, insisting on election integrity when serious doubts have been cast might be another..

and just curious why do the conservatives always need to move away from limited government to be "one of the good centrists" but the left never has to move away from the hard "pro government is always the solution" position ...??