POLL - What will Pence do?

What will Pence do on Jan 6

Count the Biden votes and give him 270+
67%
Count the Trump votes and give him 270+
8%
Count all the votes and give them both 270+
No votes
Decline to count enough of the contested states votes to prevent either candidate from 270+
25%
Other - please explain for everyone's sake
No votes

Total votes: 12
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

POLL - What will Pence do?

Post by SomeDude »

The electoral college has voted, but the votes have yet to be counted.

I think the unofficial tally is 232 uncontested votes for Trump and 222 uncontested votes for biden. Then there are 7 swing states that have certified their votes for Biden but sent dual electors for each candidate in the sum of 84 votes i think.

Pence will be opening the envelopes and counting the votes. The media is writing tons of articles imploring him to count the Biden votes. Millions of Trump supporters are imploring him to count the Trump votes or at least refuse to count the contested states.

Bias aside, belief about election fraud aside, what do you think Pence will do on Jan 6th?

Try not to project if possible. The poll is "what will he do" not "what do you want him to do".

Thanks. It should be exciting.

Edit - one further thought, I'm certain dual electors can't be counted as this would effectively double a state's allocation of electors.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/electors- ... 20059.html
Last edited by SomeDude on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: POLL - What will Pence do?

Post by Xan »

Those seven states have actually sent two slates of electors?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:04 pm
Those seven states have actually sent two slates of electors?

I am definitely using up my once every two hours quota for here but also testing to see if a vote counts towards my quota also, which means this will give me a message when I attempt to Submit it.

Since it appeared and I received no message we now know that a vote does not get counted.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

It’s quite amazing that the VP, president of the senate, has this discretion.

I’d bet the ranch on the first option.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Other: Pence will wheel out a Dominion voting machine to tally the electoral votes.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I voted for option 1 because, at all costs, Pence wants to maintain presidential viability.

He stands to lose far more votes by doing anything by option 1 than he stands to gain or retain by choosing anything but option 1.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:13 am I voted for option 1 because, at all costs, Pence wants to maintain presidential viability.

He stands to lose far more votes by doing anything by option 1 than he stands to gain or retain by choosing anything but option 1.
Vinny.....do you know how popular Trump is with Republicans, and what percentage of Republicans think the election was rife with fraud? I think its 90% and 80% respectively.

I think pences career is finished if he counts 270 for Biden.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Sample size is too small but, anyone surprised by the results?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

boglerdude wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:14 pm Sample size is too small but, anyone surprised by the results?
I'm surprised more people don't think Pence will do something other than what the media is telling him to do. He's been going out in public saying he won't stop until every legal vote is counted and every illegal vote thrown out.

That implies he believes there was shenanigans that affected at least the contested states. The margins are so razor thin in those that any fraud overturned would flip them to Trump.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

SomeDude wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:12 pm
boglerdude wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:14 pm Sample size is too small but, anyone surprised by the results?
I'm surprised more people don't think Pence will do something other than what the media is telling him to do. He's been going out in public saying he won't stop until every legal vote is counted and every illegal vote thrown out.

That implies he believes there was shenanigans that affected at least the contested states. The margins are so razor thin in those that any fraud overturned would flip them to Trump.
I went with option #1. I see Pence as a very level-headed guy and I have to believe that Trump's say-whatever-is-on-his-mind style has likely driven Pence nuts over the last four years, and that he probably can't wait to see the guy gone. It's going to be 306-232 in favor of Biden. To be clear, I am not saying that Pence is up to anything. I just think that if the voter fraud was really so heavily against Trump, he would be winning some of his legal challenges.

Of course I could be an unbalanced nut job myself for believing that our court system is still functioning.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

SomeDude wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:41 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:13 am
I voted for option 1 because, at all costs, Pence wants to maintain presidential viability.

Vinny.....do you know how popular Trump is with Republicans, and what percentage of Republicans think the election was rife with fraud? I think its 90% and 80% respectively.

I think pences career is finished if he counts 270 for Biden.

How about how un-popular any Democrat is with Republicans? That is, they'd never vote for a Democrat, always voting Republican.

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

SomeDude wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:12 pm

I don't fully understand exactly what decision is in Pence's hands.
Is his role primarily ceremonial, or is it truly at his discretion to decide which votes to count and which votes not to count? If the latter, then we effectively have a system where the Vice President decides who the next President will be. And since he's the running mate, is he not deciding his own election in the process? Does that sound reasonable?

I assumed the Constitution spelled out this procedure, but apparently it is controversial enough that we're discussing it. Is there a resident expert who would kindly clarify this for the plebeians?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

glennds wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:26 pm I assumed the Constitution spelled out this procedure, but apparently it is controversial enough that we're discussing it. Is there a resident expert who would kindly clarify this for the plebeians?
That definitely wouldn't be me. I sat through Constitutional Law just shaking my head and muttering, "They're making this shit up as they go along.'
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I voted for the first option. With this, I rest my case.

Vinny

Pence says he won't intervene in Congress's electoral count to change outcome of election and Biden’s win, rejecting Trump’s pleas

In a letter, the vice president said his role is ceremonial. “It is my considered judgment that my oath to support and defend the Constitution constrains me from claiming unilateral authority to determine which electors votes should be counted and which should be not.”
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

barrett wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:47 pm
Of course I could be an unbalanced nut job myself for believing that our court system is still functioning.
EVERYTHING is compromised, barrett... apparently we took the blue pill, not the red one.

;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

Funny that the colors match up republican and democrat. I suppose I will remain in blissful ignorance.

--------------------

America at it's finest, or euphemistically, "free tours of the Capitol!": https://twitter.com/jazmineulloa/status ... 6703435779

Pence, under the bus:

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Trump has splintered the right. I think you are witnessing the end of the conservative party here. The majority of Americans will not support a return to what we have seen the last four years. Now that the capitol has been stormed it's over.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

I was dead wrong about Pence. Very sad day. I'll weigh in later. Busy work day.
Simonjester wrote: SAD DAY INDEED.. if conservatism is dead, so are fair elections and representative government..

welcome to the new "china-globalist-media-bigtech-one world government" .. hope you like it
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Deep State was right, Trump's either crazy...or in on it. Either way they win. Reminds me of Macbeth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rxsuZDJSA

(MacB shoulda done MGTOW)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Law and Order president my ass.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Cortopassi wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:56 pm Law and Order president my ass.
One of my favorite Charlie Munger aphorisms is that you must be able to explain the other side’s argument better than they can if you want to trust your own opinion.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

I think Trump is just a bull in a china shop, and couldn't clearly articulate why the problems with the election should have been investigated. From what I've read they absolutely should have been - and there will always be a taint on the outcomes of this election. Including the Georgia runoff.

So you could chalk that up to Trump's failure due to his personal style. Totally fair. The unfortunate result is that we are now in for a very difficult era which will feature:

- a new form of state-sanctioned racism
- codifying the destruction of freedom of speech into law, making it henceforth a crime to disagree with the prevailing narrative. This forum for example could be a major vulnerability for those of us who have expressed conservative opinions.
- a big push for centralized control of virtually every aspect of our lives; limited personal freedoms; outright human rights violations a la China
- skyrocketing spending and increased taxes
- a massive enlargement of the welfare state
- new "rights" for illegal immigrants, encouraging a massive wave of them unprecedented in our history and with the potential to blow up state budgets, for those states that explicitly cater to them

I'm depressed. Going to bed early tonight.

I just pray that Supreme Court packing doesn't happen. And, for the Republicans to retake the Senate in 2 years.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

sophie wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:23 pm I just pray that Supreme Court packing doesn't happen. And, for the Republicans to retake the Senate in 2 years.
I don't think Supreme Court packing would matter much, because the existing Supreme Court has already shown that they are in the establishment's pocket. They won't take any real stand against it.

As for Republicans retaking the Senate in two years, don't hold your breath unless they're establishment RINOs. The opportunity to address the unconstitutionally modified election rules was now, and that opportunity was blown. Thus any fraud will simply be more brazen and more widely expanded in future elections.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a growing secession movement in the coming months and years.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

D vs R is not the real fight, it's the establishment/elite/political class vs common people.

If average people on the left and right could get together and figure out that they have a common enemy, then things might really get interesting.

The establishment was caught off guard in 2016 but it looks like in 2020 the empire has struck back.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

flyingpylon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:04 pm D vs R is not the real fight, it's the establishment/elite/political class vs common people.

If average people on the left and right could get together and figure out that they have a common enemy, then things might really get interesting.

The establishment was caught off guard in 2016 but it looks like in 2020 the empire has struck back.
I agree entirely. But so far that has made me the resident communist.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

Hard to know where to start with comments. I was slammed at work today so didn't get to see anything until i saw a few minutes of Mitch saying it would be a horrible mistake to address the allegations of massive election fraud at least 40% of the country, including 2/3 of Republicans think happened.

Then 30-60 min later i took a peak and people in MAGA gear were inside congressional hall.

Looks like Pence said he was going to count the Biden votes......traitor. He could have at least said the state legislatures need to determine which electors are legit per the constitution.

The baby is asleep so I'm going to try to catch up on things.

Looks like they've locked trump out of any means to communicate and tell the crowd to leave the capital. Makes sense, they want their narrative and looks like they got it.

There is such a huge divide in the values of the country now.......better to break it up. Freedom loving people need to come together and throw off the yoke of this beast called the federal government.

Take the masks off, go back to commerce, go back to church, eschew foreign wars, charity for the old, sick, and poor, not a government welfare trap.

Ehhhh......we're clearly not going to vote our way to those things. The leftists will NEVER leave us alone.

Did i mention I was dead wrong about Pence??? I think i was right when i said trump should declare martial law. That needed to happen at least a month ago. Too late now.