Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Thank You Donald Trump

Post by Cortopassi »

SD,

Got it.

The underlying thing that I have been wracking my brain over is the democrats gushing over even the $600. Like Americans are literally starving on the streets and can't pay rent and $600 effing dollars is going to save them, on top of the "huge" $1200 earlier in the year.

Personally, I think it is a joke. $1200 early on, if the pandemic only lasted a couple months, ok, decent deal. Another $600 after we've been at this for 10 months seems to be a slap in the face. Not that $2000 would be much better. But I do wonder where he got $2000 from. Why not $10,000?

Seriously.

I have been blessed to be fully employed, in an office every single day since this started. I should NOT be getting $600. In fact, I gave most of the original $1200 to my high school band program.

Target people who really need it. Not those of us at or above six figures that are still getting paid.
-----------------------
As for fraud, again, I need to believe in the system. If we've run this all the way up to the SCOTUS without real widespread fraud findings, then I have to believe that or there's nothing left to believe in as a country if you go down that path. Anything can be rigged. And that's a bad attitude to have.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

SomeDude wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:05 pm The government has destroyed huge swaths of the economy with the covid response, and people are getting desperate. The solution is to re-open the economy and deal with sick people the way we always have.
Absolutely. But it's starting to become clear to me that the economy probably won't be officially reopened by the governors until it has first been unofficially reopened through widespread civil disobedience and city/county defiance of the governors' diktats. The expanded authority enjoyed by governors and their public health officials has now become too entrenched and normalized to be voluntarily relinquished.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:00 pm
SomeDude wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:05 pm The government has destroyed huge swaths of the economy with the covid response, and people are getting desperate. The solution is to re-open the economy and deal with sick people the way we always have.
Absolutely. But it's starting to become clear to me that the economy probably won't be officially reopened by the governors until it has first been unofficially reopened through widespread civil disobedience and city/county defiance of the governors' diktats. The expanded authority enjoyed by governors and their public health officials has now become too entrenched and normalized to be voluntarily relinquished.
This is a theme that I read constantly here and which I reject each time I read it.

They are not behaving because of their desire for expanded authority. They are behaving the way that they do because of fear. They are afraid that if they do not do everything possible then the public will hold them responsible for any bad outcomes, which, of course, would mean that they would not get re-elected.

Don't overlook the expectations of the populace of what they expect from their elected officials.

The populace has completely unrealistic expectations and those in office are, therefore, going to overreact in every way in a fruitless attempt to meet the populace's expectations.

It just comes back to the saying, "We get the government that we deserve."

Finally, it is not just those "liberals" who make these unrealistic expectations. It is just about everyone because everyone shared many of the same aspects of human nature.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

^ good point. But megacorp is loving the lockdown, and they fund campaigns...