Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vaccine Side Effect Legal Immunity

Post by vnatale »

tomfoolery wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:44 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:41 pm
What are "EDs"?

Vinny
ED = Emergency Department. I’ve almost never heard anyone call them an ER within a professional capacity. I sometimes force myself to say ER when I’m talking with the general public but it hurts my feelings. Because it’s not a room, it’s a department of many rooms. And no one says ER. Could be a regional thing though, but the places I’ve work have spanned coast to coast and the mid-west and never heard the term ER used.

Could also be an age thing, maybe people born before 1980 say ER more often and us millennials call it the ED. But within the walls of the hospital, staff members have only ever called it an ED in 15 years of me working in their walls.
A softball teammate of many years, who is a nurse, during the summer had a few discussions with me, asking my advice regarding taking a certain position at the hospital. She is now in her mid-thirties, which would put her born in the mid-1980s. During those discussions she made several several references to the "Emergency Room" and never to the "Emergency Department". She actually told me how much money another administrator earned being the head of the 'Emergency Room". Is it possible that this terminology could be a regional thing? In seeking my advice she was recognizing me as an experienced business professional. Therefore it did not seem that she needed to use dumbed down phrases when discussing with me.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Thank you for spelling this out Maddie! I hope your efforts aren’t wasted.

The reason glennds and his cronies on the forum think that 8% capacity is abnormal is that they are told this by the tv and print media. If there’s anything they should have learned on this forum, it’s that the media impart propaganda and unsupported opinion, not facts. This is not a recent phenomenon but it has certainly gotten much worse in the past few years.

And thanks for the description Mandy! To be more exact I am an NIH supported, MD/PhD physician scientist at a major university with a tenured faculty appointment. I critique research articles and publish my own for a living. Not to say my data are better than your data, but I know a bit about how to interpret data and not be fooled by manipulation.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

sophie wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:57 am Thank you for spelling this out Maddie! I hope your efforts aren’t wasted.

The reason glennds and his cronies on the forum think that 8% capacity is abnormal is that they are told this by the tv and print media. If there’s anything they should have learned on this forum, it’s that the media impart propaganda and unsupported opinion, not facts. This is not a recent phenomenon but it has certainly gotten much worse in the past few years.

And thanks for the description Mandy! To be more exact I am an NIH supported, MD/PhD physician scientist at a major university with a tenured faculty appointment. I critique research articles and publish my own for a living. Not to say my data are better than your data, but I know a bit about how to interpret data and not be fooled by manipulation.
RIght upfront I'm definitely taking this into a tangent and it's perfectly fine for whoever can do it to send it to a different topic...

However, with you revealing who you are....you are a double "Dr."!!

I'm now listening for the second time today on C-Span's Washington Journal the discussion of an article in the Wall Street Journal regarding Joe Biden's wife referring to herself as "Dr. Jill Biden". She has an EdD. Some of the callers have said that they have read her dissertation and it is riddled with errors.

Of course, as a medical doctor, everyone would agree with you being addressed as Dr. Sophie. How about your PhD (in ??). If you also not a medical doctor would you still be expected to be referred to as "Dr. Sophie"?

As you would expect it was all over the place in terms of opinions expressed by the callers.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

vnatale wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:39 am Of course, as a medical doctor, everyone would agree with you being addressed as Dr. Sophie. How about your PhD (in ??). If you also not a medical doctor would you still be expected to be referred to as "Dr. Sophie"?
Brings to mind the time I witnessed a PhD arguing with a gas station attendant about her demand that she be addressed as "doctor." Pretty pathetic.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Maddy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:51 am
vnatale wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:39 am Of course, as a medical doctor, everyone would agree with you being addressed as Dr. Sophie. How about your PhD (in ??). If you also not a medical doctor would you still be expected to be referred to as "Dr. Sophie"?
Brings to mind the time I witnessed a PhD arguing with a gas station attendant about her demand that she be addressed as "doctor." Pretty pathetic.
One of the C-Span callers who I think had a PhD stated that those who insisted as being addressed by "Doctor" suffered from inferiority complexes.

I have never been a big one for throwing my work titles around. At one point my boss told me I had to add my title under my email signature, that I could not just leave it as "Vinny".

Vinny
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Maddy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:49 am
glennds wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:57 pm If you worked at a hospital that was going on ED divert several times a week all year round, then you're working in a seriously underbedded market.

What exactly do you do? May I take a guess?
Respiratory therapist? Lab or pharmacy tech? Phlebotomy? PT, OT or Speech?
Sophie is an M.D.--a neurologist.

Here we seemingly have two completely different interpretations of what an 8% remaining capacity means. Is it, or is it not, status quo for this time of year? Patient census statistics ought to resolve the question definitively one way or another.

Sophie's explanation that hospitals contract and expand their capacities to maximize profits rings absolutely true to me. Sophie has proven herself over and over to be a real stickler when it comes to the interpretation of data, so I have confidence that she's not speaking out of her ass. And I'm all too aware that we were intentionally duped on this very point earlier this year when--right here in my locale--we were led to believe that the hospitals were "overwhelmed" when in fact their censuses were so low that a few months later they were on the verge of closing.

Glennds maintains that the present situation is highly abnormal, but I see no attempt to back that position up. Glennds, what, in particular makes you conclude that the 8% statistic represents something out of the ordinary?
Maddy,
My earlier question of hospital position was directed at Tomfoolery not Sophie. I did indirectly ask Sophie whether she is a physician who provides direct patient care, and she has clarified that as a faculty physician/scientist, she does not. I would argue that without one being "better" than the other, a scientist/academic physician will have a different perspective than a direct patient care attending or consulting physician.

This distinction provides a backdrop for my comment on the 8% remaining capacity comment. It's not about the 8% or any percent for that matter. My comment about the present circumstances on the hospital floors (in my market) being abnormal has to do with the conditions present. It's not the amount of capacity, it's the kind of census.
In hospitals, we utilize a ladder of precautions in the course of infection control. Right now, those precautions are elevated to the highest level and not for certain patients, but all patients. To have a situation where essentially every patient is either under source or protective isolation at 92% of capacity is RADICALLY different than 92% capacity under normal circumstances where this is not the case. The demand on staff is enormous because of donning/doffing PPE procedures, segregated assignments, increase in Point of Care (POC) dedicated equipment, meaning the POC equipment cannot be moved from room to room for now. Think about the demands this places on the biohazard staff, central supply personnel, environmental services, and even medication distribution.
It would be as though yes you have the same 92% that you had last year, but 5x the churn of PPE, DME and biohazard procedures.
And consider that direct care staff are forced to work at (maybe) 50% of productivity because of all the momentum obstacles. This is prompting considerably higher staffing ratios and more overtime than would be typical. Also, we are seeing maybe 30%-40% more traveler/contract/out-of-state caregivers than normal to supplement the load (if you can find them). Right now the rent-a-nurse agencies are fleecing the providers because well, that's the free market).
We're talking mostly nurses and respiratory therapists. Don't even get me started on the family restrictions and management demands and what it is doing to the case managers.

I am in no way suggesting that Sophie is speaking out of her ass or that she's anything less than competent. Nor am I challenging her credentials or professional medical opinion. Its just that if she is an academic physician and not working in direct patient care or hospital administration, understandably she may not have this field operational perspective and neither would you, being a legal professional.
Is the description above something that you can envision, and if so will you accept it as a good faith attempt to back up my position that COVID has introduced abnormal circumstances to the inpatient hospital side of the health care industry?

A few disclaimers:
I do not know what is going on in other markets. There could very well be hospitals in some places that are not confronting the load I am describing.
I am not getting my information from the media. I am a hospital industry insider, and have co-workers, friends, attending and consulting physicians who are in the trenches every day from whom I am getting this information. I have visited two hospitals where I used to work and they have no resemblance to what I would call normal. War zone is what came to my mind.

This is why I responded, not to argue, but to provide a reality check.
I am not debating anyone's political opinions in this post, I am merely providing feedback on the current conditions in inpatient hospitals and vigorously objecting to the suggestion that they are totally normal.
Last edited by glennds on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Vinny's signature line is certainly unique.

I don't like to go by "Dr." except in professional situations, which this is not. I like to think that those degrees don't inform my personal life. My best friends are a mix, but some of the ones I value the most don't have advanced degrees. And btw....I am engaged in patient care activities. It's just 20% time which is typical for a physician-scientist.

It is true that a lot of my posts are informed by my professional activities, but by their nature they're not professional. Honestly, this only came up because my qualifications to write COVID-related posts were brought into question by one of the far-left progressives on the forum who didn't like the message, and presumably thought he was better qualified to hold an opinion than me. After that provocation I came out with my big guns - which is the first time I've done so in 5 years of posting on this forum.

Perhaps that says something about the degeneration of the quality of discussions here...which is sad.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

I suppose I would theoretically be entitled to use the prefix "doctor," but I cannot imagine doing so. For one, I think it quite clearly suggests the idea of a medical doctor, which I clearly am not. Society reserves a special respect for those few people who have displayed the special dedication and training that it takes to become an M.D., and in my view neither a J.D. or a Ph.D. even comes close. Others may disagree, but I do think that a non-M.D. who goes out of their way to claim the title "doctor" is probably trying to profit from the resulting misperception.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Maddy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:06 am I suppose I would theoretically be entitled to use the prefix "doctor," but I cannot imagine doing so. For one, I think it quite clearly suggests the idea of a medical doctor, which I clearly am not. Society reserves a special respect for those few people who have displayed the special dedication and training that it takes to become an M.D., and in my view neither a J.D. or a Ph.D. even comes close. Others may disagree, but I do think that a non-M.D. who goes out of their way to claim the title "doctor" is probably trying to profit from the resulting misperception.
That. Or, a weak ego that needs to continually be propped up by others.

Vinny
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Yeah, like chiropractors. That has always driven me nuts. I once went to a wedding between two chiropractors, and the best man kept referring to both of them as "Dr.", over and over again. It was even in their wedding vows. It was just so icky. At that time I was a full time practicing physician and I was at a table with another physician (an orthopedist). He and I were just looking at each other and trying to keep a straight face.

Technically though, "Dr." does apply to PhDs. I always referred to my professors as "dr." in college, and none of them were MDs.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

My sister is driving several hours to visit today, immediately after getting a COVID vaccine.

Talk about tempting fate. At least one of her daughters can drive her back home tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how she reacts since that might be informative for me...genetics plays a role I'm sure.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

sophie wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:12 am Yeah, like chiropractors. That has always driven me nuts. I once went to a wedding between two chiropractors, and the best man kept referring to both of them as "Dr.", over and over again. It was even in their wedding vows. It was just so icky. At that time I was a full time practicing physician and I was at a table with another physician (an orthopedist). He and I were just looking at each other and trying to keep a straight face.

Technically though, "Dr." does apply to PhDs. I always referred to my professors as "dr." in college, and none of them were MDs.
I have a friend who can have all of this after his name...."PhD, CPA, CMA, CFE" More letters AFTER his last name than are IN his last name. I just address him as "The Professor!"

Vinny
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

glennds

ok, much more effort is being made at precautions in your area. Is it worth the additional time and expense?
Doctors have been describing LA county hospital as a war zone going back several flu seasons
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

boglerdude wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:41 pm glennds

ok, much more effort is being made at precautions in your area. Is it worth the additional time and expense?
Doctors have been describing LA county hospital as a war zone going back several flu seasons
From a hospital administration standpoint, I don't believe there is much choice. Infection control policies and procedures and contact precautions existed long before COVID-19 and what I described in my post is fairly standard protocol for airborne pathogens of any type. What is novel is that COVID-19 has introduced a much much higher census of these types of patients, many of which become medically complex if they have co-morbidities.

Whether it is worth it or not may be a philosophical or medical ethics question I just can't answer. Logistically, I don't think a hospital can simply disregard it's infection control practices for a group of patients because it isn't worth it. As I think about it, the question would not be one for administration as much as for the Medical Staff governance. Compliance with Federal and State guidelines is another important factor. I'm sure the facility's malpractice insurance carrier would have something to say also.

If your question is broader i.e. aimed at society in general as to whether or not dealing with COVID has been worth it, then I'm not the person to ask but I'm sure others here will give you an unvarnished opinion.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

The covid is literally killing 8 bazillion kajillion people per day. In less than a week there will be zero people left on this forum. This is literally the worst crisis humanity has ever faced. People are so scared the streets and stores in my town are possibly slightly less jam packed than usual but I'm not sure. You have to swerve to get around all the bodies. With only days away from Christmas people are so busy shopping the bodies are just piling up. Hopefully a cold front blows through to slow the rotting of the corpses.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

glennds wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 pm Logistically, I don't think a hospital can simply disregard it's infection control practices for a group of patients because it isn't worth it. As I think about it, . . .
Put Cuomo in charge, and you won't have to think about it.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

Maddy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:20 pm
glennds wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 pm Logistically, I don't think a hospital can simply disregard it's infection control practices for a group of patients because it isn't worth it. As I think about it, . . .
Put Cuomo in charge, and you won't have to think about it.
Pretty soon none of us will have to think anymore, we'll all be dead as doornails. This virus dngaf. It kills without mercy. I went in my backyard to work out this morning and had to do lunges between the heaps of decaying cadavers.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

SomeDude wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:15 pm

The covid is literally killing 8 bazillion kajillion people per day. In less than a week there will be zero people left on this forum. This is literally the worst crisis humanity has ever faced. People are so scared the streets and stores in my town are possibly slightly less jam packed than usual but I'm not sure. You have to swerve to get around all the bodies. With only days away from Christmas people are so busy shopping the bodies are just piling up. Hopefully a cold front blows through to slow the rotting of the corpses.
The Black Death only killed half the population of Europe. COVID is so much worse than that! Really! I mean....3x the mortality of the average flu, yikes! That's all of 0.4% of cases, extensively skewed toward a very specific elderly population...omg that's a lot, isn't it? That's so much worse than the 1918 flu too....I mean that was only 3% mortality, mostly in young adults!

And of course COVID is so much worse than cholera, too. That I've seen up close and personal. I keep thinking about the contrast between how people behaved in the epidemic I landed in the middle of when I did that medical rotation in rural Kenya, and how people are behaving now with the coronavirus. Mortality from cholera, may I remind you, is 20-50% depending on treatment. In the hospital where I was, mortality was closer to 50% because there wasn't much available in the way of treatment. Doctors without borders came by and gave us a few packages of rehydration salts, that was pretty much all we had.

Nobody was panicking, not the patients, villagers, or medical staff. And no complaining that they couldn't wash their hands every 5 minutes because there wasn't enough water to do so (there was a drought at the time, too). Makes you wonder who the grownups really are.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Last night Governor Lee took to the lectern to, well... lecture.

Covid-19 is raging, he says. True.

But notice what's not "raging" -- the flu. In fact, Covid-19 has apparently vanquished the flu, consuming it. Indeed, since September only 666 cases of the flu have been recorded anywhere in the United States and just slightly more than one instance per state last week.

If you believe that's anything close to reality you need a lobotomy.

There are only two reasonable hypothesis on that: Covid-19 wasn't really -19 at all; in 2018, I remind you, hospitals were full to the top with flu patients yet we were not locking down and wagging our fingers, nor was anyone wearing a mask. Wait -- they were treating people in tents in 2018? Why yes, yes they were - in January of 2018..

This of course implies that either Covid "19" was actually around for the last several years and simply called flu or we're ignoring the flu.

Which is it? Good question and of critical importance when it comes to medical and government competence because not only is this a matter of a lot of people who are in the hole it also speaks to the very real possibility that a whole bunch of panic was not only unwarranted it came after years of intentional blindness. Covid has a unique enough disease path that I would hope that our hospitals and other medical providers weren't deliberately obfuscating -- that is, lying -- about seeing that pattern of disease for the first time in early 2020. Of course it's also possible that their claim of virginity in that regard is about as credible as the $5 hooker on the corner being a virgin too.
https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=240992
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Covid's been exaggerated to:
- usher in mail in voting and defeat Trump
- distract from the $167 million printed every hour
- wipe out small business and small landlords
- increase surveillance/tracking and control
- take the blame for Brexit fallout
- usher in UBI

But the conspiracy isnt grand enough such that there's been a cure since 1981 with Ivermectin

And (boglerdude qua neocon) it's probably been worth it. Inflation and remote work will reduce wages (increase employment) and the mRNA vaccines will end cold and flu. Historical.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Our VTSAX captures the market share. Capital vs labor
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Simonjester wrote:
MangoMan wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:52 pm
boglerdude wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:19 pm
Covid's been exaggerated to:
- usher in mail in voting and defeat Trump
- distract from the $167 million printed every hour
- wipe out small business and small landlords
- increase surveillance/tracking and control
- take the blame for Brexit fallout
- usher in UBI

But the conspiracy isnt grand enough such that there's been a cure since 1981 with Ivermectin

And (boglerdude qua neocon) it's probably been worth it. Inflation and remote work will reduce wages (increase employment) and the mRNA vaccines will end cold and flu. Historical.

I don't dispute any of that. I just don't understand what is to be gained from destroying small businesses, which employ a huge swath of the population.

control...
lack of choice = lack of freedom
you must shop and work at the state approved businesses.

Which then might lead one to question that this was an intended purpose? I would.

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I got to talking to an older fellow while in line at a UPS store recently. Eventually the subject of COVID came up. He said "If we'd just gone heard immunity, we'd have this thing whipped by now."

I replied, "Yeah, I think you're right. But of course the virus kills about 2% of the people who get it, so that's about 7 million dead Americans."

He didn't reply.

If he had, I'd planned to follow up with, "and a lot of the people who survive are left with long-term brain issues. A co-worker of mine survived but he's not the same at work anymore. He can't concentrate. He makes mistakes that he didn't used to make (this is true, not making it up). So if everyone got it, the average IQ in the USA would probably drop by 10 points. In a generation we'd be a third-world shithole country, and a lot of the older people like you who could smack sense into the young'uns would have died of COVID."

Sometimes I just can't help myself. >:D
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don »

The recovery rate is well over 99%
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Don wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:06 am The recovery rate is well over 99%
According to Trump's CDC, there have been 18,170,062 cases in the USA and 321,734 deaths: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... klast7days

Grade school math shows us that 321,734 is 1.77% of 18,170,062. Arithmetic counters your assertion.