moda0306 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:51 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:33 am
doodle wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:17 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:47 am

If one of us then decides to "unsign" that agreement for some reason, that person would still be obligated to submit to arbitration for that contract.
..or what? Who wields the stick?

I mean if all laws are social contracts in essence and I choose not to abide by them what are the repercussions and who enforces those repercussions?

I gotta head out for some activity, I have some questions for you too Tom but my shrink recommends that I get some of my pent up energy out and my dog agrees.
If there is public visibility for contractual disputes, as I'm envisioning with a society functioning by reference to the General Agreement to Arbitration, people who violate their contracts will be shunned by honest people, who can identify one another as being signatories.

Most people with an IQ above room temperature will quickly figure out what that would mean.
Funny, cuz if that's true, than the vast majority of Americans would identify as anarcho-capitalist, or have strong leanings towards that philosophy.

But they don't...
Where on the political spectrum do you feel the vast majority of Americans identify?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Libertarians and property

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:46 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:30 pm
moda0306 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:51 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:33 am
doodle wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:17 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:47 am

If one of us then decides to "unsign" that agreement for some reason, that person would still be obligated to submit to arbitration for that contract.
..or what? Who wields the stick?

I mean if all laws are social contracts in essence and I choose not to abide by them what are the repercussions and who enforces those repercussions?

I gotta head out for some activity, I have some questions for you too Tom but my shrink recommends that I get some of my pent up energy out and my dog agrees.
If there is public visibility for contractual disputes, as I'm envisioning with a society functioning by reference to the General Agreement to Arbitration, people who violate their contracts will be shunned by honest people, who can identify one another as being signatories.

Most people with an IQ above room temperature will quickly figure out what that would mean.
Funny, cuz if that's true, than the vast majority of Americans would identify as anarcho-capitalist, or have strong leanings towards that philosophy.

But they don't...
Where on the political spectrum do you feel the vast majority of Americans identify?
On a quick Bing search this is what I found from two years ago...something more recent can be found?

U.S. Still Leans Conservative, but Liberals Keep Recent Gains

https://news.gallup.com/poll/245813/lea ... gains.aspx

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:59 am

Just curious....how would a libertarian interpret this in light of everything we've discussed?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckYouKaren/ ... _fine_to/

This apparently Oklahoma law regarding this situation for context...
Screenshot_20201208-100403.png
Screenshot_20201208-100403.png (254.58 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:47 pm

I'm just curious what the libertarians do when someone flaunts the law. Is the punishment that you just tell the offender they are a mean nasty person and no one will want to be their friend?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:55 pm

doodle wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:47 pm
I'm just curious what the libertarians do when someone flaunts the law. Is the punishment that you just tell the offender they are a mean nasty person and no one will want to be their friend?
We'll soon find out how that system works. It's the new rule in Los Angeles as of today.
The misdemeanor charges specified below shall be declined or dismissed before arraignment and
without conditions unless “exceptions” or “factors for consideration” exist.
The list includes:
Trespass, Disturbing the Peace, No Driver's License, Criminal Threats, Drug Possession, Public Intoxication, Prostitution, Resisting Arrest
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Libtards now has an expanded definition. It just keeps getting worse and worse 😰
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:55 pm
doodle wrote:
We'll soon find out how that system works. It's the new rule in Los Angeles as of today.
The misdemeanor charges specified below shall be declined or dismissed before arraignment and
The list includes:
Trespass, Disturbing the Peace, No Driver's License, Criminal Threats, Drug Possession, Public Intoxication, Prostitution, Resisting Arrest
I can't imagine how such a brilliant plan could go wrong!
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:25 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:50 pm
Mark Leavy wrote:
doodle wrote:
The list includes:
Tech, you talking out of both sides of mouth...
Seems like most of those would be unenforceable or not even an issue under libertarianism so should be a win for your team's philosophy!...no licenses, prostitution would be legal as well as drugs...public intoxication no problem as long as you aren't hurting anyone...I don't see anything from that list that would be a crime in a world without government.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:32 pm

doodle wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:25 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
doodle wrote:
The list includes:
Seems like most of those would be unenforceable or not even an issue under libertarianism so should be a win for your team's philosophy!...no licenses, prostitution would be legal as well as drugs...public intoxication no problem as long as you aren't hurting anyone...I don't see anything from that list that would be a crime in a world without government.
I'm in favor of getting rid of victimless crime laws, including drug possession, public intoxication, and prostitution. Of course "resisting arrest" wouldn't exist without government either.
Trespass, disturbing the peace, and criminal threats would still be an issue without government.
There wouldn't be any government licenses, but driving on a road where you haven't paid the toll would still be subject to penalties.

As soon as you find the anarchist utopia I can move to, please let me know. It seems to be missing from my maps, so I have to deal with the fact that I'm going to live under a government. The question is how bad that government will be.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:32 pm
doodle wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
doodle wrote:
The list includes:
I'm in favor of getting rid of victimless crime laws, including drug possession, public intoxication, and prostitution. Of course "resisting arrest" wouldn't exist without government either.
Trespass, disturbing the peace, and criminal threats would still be an issue without government.
There wouldn't be any government licenses, but driving on a road where you haven't paid the toll would still be subject to penalties.

As soon as you find the anarchist utopia I can move to, please let me know. It seems to be missing from my maps, so I have to deal with the fact that I'm going to live under a government. The question is how bad that government will be.
Wait!!!

My house is on a main road in this rural area. 40 MPH speed limit. And, it is a busy street. I'm annoyed each time I have to stand on either side of the road waiting for cars to go by when dealing with my newspaper / mail boxes that are across the street from my driveway.

What is the mechanism for paying the toll to drive on my street? Who pays for my street to be snow plowed? To be repaved?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:05 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:07 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
doodle wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
doodle wrote:
The list includes:

Wait!!!

My house is on a main road in this rural area. 40 MPH speed limit. And, it is a busy street. I'm annoyed each time I have to stand on either side of the road waiting for cars to go by when dealing with my newspaper / mail boxes that are across the street from my driveway.

What is the mechanism for paying the toll to drive on my street? Who pays for my street to be snow plowed? To be repaved?

Vinny
Are you questioning the innovation and creativity of our citizenry? The ones who put a man on the moon and rose from the ashes several times in our history? Just because you or I don't see a solution does not mean that an Elon Musk doesn't. Your road will be paved and plowed; I'll guarantee it. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:58 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:05 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:07 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
doodle wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
doodle wrote:
The list includes:

Wait!!!

Vinny
Are you questioning the innovation and creativity of our citizenry? The ones who put a man on the moon and rose from the ashes several times in our history? Just because you or I don't see a solution does not mean that an Elon Musk doesn't. Your road will be paved and plowed; I'll guarantee it. ;)
Silly me to question Elon Musk!

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:14 pm

StevieBrandt wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:59 am
As a fellow forum member,
Greetings fellow humans
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Smith1776
Executive Member