Judge: Republicans Will Likely Win Pennsylvania Election Lawsuit

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Judge: Republicans Will Likely Win Pennsylvania Election Lawsuit

Post by pmward »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:53 am Here's the opinion: https://www.scribd.com/document/4861325 ... from_embed
Thank you for finally bringing a credible document here. This is all that I've wanted, and the reason I've been badgering you, is to get quality credible sources to discuss. I will read through it later today. Curious to hear Maddy's take as well.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:41 am
pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:57 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:53 am Here's the opinion: https://www.scribd.com/document/4861325 ... from_embed
Thank you for finally bringing a credible document here. This is all that I've wanted, and the reason I've been badgering you, is to get quality credible sources to discuss. I will read through it later today. Curious to hear Maddy's take as well.
Sorry, I've had you on ignore so I didn't realize you were badgering me.
But I was curious to see what you said on this topic, so I read the above message.
You're off ignore now.
The ignore feature is great but so many people quote the ENTIRE string of replies in massive posts you still can't fully escape! :P
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Hah. Pmward, you get off ignore. I assume tech won’t see this, but below is another comment from a different site.

My question again to Trump supporters, assuming Jan 20 Biden is sworn in, will you let it go or take it to your grave?
———
From what I've read on ZH and other places, the central issue seems to be a disbelief that anyone could vote for Biden, let alone 80M people. What they're not considering is that many of those voters probably disliked Trump more than they thought Biden was a good candidate.

The MAGA crowd spent the last few years in an echo chamber (like most people do today, unfortunately) so they can't fathom seeing Biden as a lesser evil. They've lost touch with a lot of the country, much like ivory tower elites on the coasts lost touch with them.

They're in total denial, so Sidney Powell has to be correct. Anyone who gets in her way, like Tucker, has to be thrown overboard. They should have accepted their rude awakening three weeks ago, but instead this will continue until January. Even after the electoral college votes for Biden on 12/14, they'll still be promoting fantasies that Trump won't vacate on 1/20. Even after that, I'm sure there will be predictions that Trump will be back any day, like Napoleon's return from Elba.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:58 am Good point.
BTW, I put him back on ignore because of his completely nasty comment on another thread.
Nasty??? He gave you an exalted title and didnt even allege fraud in the election process!!!!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:00 am Hah. Pmward, you get off ignore. I assume tech won’t see this, but below is another comment from a different site.

My question again to Trump supporters, assuming Jan 20 Biden is sworn in, will you let it go or take it to your grave?
———
From what I've read on ZH and other places, the central issue seems to be a disbelief that anyone could vote for Biden, let alone 80M people. What they're not considering is that many of those voters probably disliked Trump more than they thought Biden was a good candidate.

The MAGA crowd spent the last few years in an echo chamber (like most people do today, unfortunately) so they can't fathom seeing Biden as a lesser evil. They've lost touch with a lot of the country, much like ivory tower elites on the coasts lost touch with them.

They're in total denial, so Sidney Powell has to be correct. Anyone who gets in her way, like Tucker, has to be thrown overboard. They should have accepted their rude awakening three weeks ago, but instead this will continue until January. Even after the electoral college votes for Biden on 12/14, they'll still be promoting fantasies that Trump won't vacate on 1/20. Even after that, I'm sure there will be predictions that Trump will be back any day, like Napoleon's return from Elba.
Just as I stated here prior to the election.....Trump had his base who would vote for him no matter what (in his paraphrased words: "I could shoot someone in broad daylight on Broadway and they'd still vote for me"). But based upon his behaviors during his presidency from what group was he going to gain any votes? I could only see his behaviors causing him to lose a ton of votes from those who had voted for him in 2016 but would not be considered part of his base. Those are the voters that political candidates are each time so desperately fighting for. The ones who voted for Obama once or twice but then voted for Trump in 2016. They voted for Trump in 2016 based upon who they thought he was going to be. After seeing for nearly four years what he was they said, "No thanks! I don't want a repeat of this! ANYONE but Trump!"

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Cortopassi wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:00 am Hah. Pmward, you get off ignore. I assume tech won’t see this, but below is another comment from a different site.

———

If Biden were against any other person he admittedly would't have gotten 80M votes. A large majority of those votes were more "not Trump" votes than "Biden" votes.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Here’s a challenge for you. Go find this exact item covered at NYT, WaPo, or similar “credible source.” Give us the links.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

I Shrugged wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 am
Here’s a challenge for you. Go find this exact item covered at NYT, WaPo, or similar “credible source.” Give us the link.
Neither "NYT, WaPo, or similar" are credible sources. Tech actually did produce a credible source this time, in a filed legal statement. I still have yet to read it though, will report back later. It may be a nothing burger or a quote taken out of context. Still curious what Maddy has to say as well, to see if he shows his bias here as well.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

So your credible sources demand is a ruse, in other words. Got it. I think we can safely ignore any further of your objections along that line.

I’ll extend the same challenge to anyone else who is too offended by supposed non credible sources to be able to comment intelligently on the underlying information . Doodle.

What a perfect world you guys must live in. I don’t think you know how to deal with imperfect information, and make judgments and decisions from same.
Last edited by I Shrugged on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

I Shrugged wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:22 pm So your credible sources demand is a ruse, in other words. Got it. I think we can safely ignore any further of your objections along that line.
A ruse???

"The 1930s called, they want their lingo back. Also, watch out for that Hitler, he's a bad egg"! - Archer, the world's greatest spy. ;D
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Ok so I read the document. Its document granting a stay on certification "pending the results of the evidentiary hearing". So there is nothing at all damning about this. They basically said that since the electoral college doesn't vote until Dec 14, there is no reason to rush, and no harm to be done to anyone by postponing certification a couple of weeks. I agree with this.

Also, the "evidential hearing" they are referring to is a hearing regarding whether the vote by mail was against PA state law. There are no allegations of fraud here. It is trying to get votes made by legally registered voters tossed out after the fact. I'm not sure that the courts would do that. Doesn't seem very realistic to me. The judge also made mention that while the plaintiffs have a credible claim that the state may have went around the laws, the courts are aware that any judgment could infringe on the voting rights of the people of PA. So basically, it's a sticky situation. Should the voters be punished and have their right to vote thrown out because the state made an operational blunder? That punishes the voters, not the state. It will be interesting to see what follows, but I have to imagine it to not be very realistic that they would discard the will of millions of voters because of this.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Thank you again Tech for bringing a real credible document to us. Please bring more of this, because I honestly would like to see the real evidence on the other side. I have no interest in low credibility website articles. But I promise you I'll always meet you in the middle and take the time to read through and discuss any credible sources you have.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm The judge also made mention that while the plaintiffs have a credible claim that the state may have went around the laws, the courts are aware that any judgment could infringe on the voting rights of the people of PA. So basically, it's a sticky situation. Should the voters be punished and have their right to vote thrown out because the state made an operational blunder? That punishes the voters, not the state. It will be interesting to see what follows, but I have to imagine it to not be very realistic that they would discard the will of millions of voters because of this.
What you seem to have forgotten to mention is the fact that if the state of PA indeed violated election law by bypassing its state legislature and that resulted in its popular vote going to Biden instead of Trump, then effectively the PA residents who voted for Trump had their voting rights infringed. It would be their will that was effectively discarded.

So the disenfranchisement argument here applies to both Biden and Trump voters, not just the Biden voters. If the state of PA violated its election law, then anything other than a complete do-over vote under the previous unmodified PA election law would effectively be disenfranchising a very large group of PA voters.

I view it as similar to a "too big to fail" situation. Some people argue that failing to bail out the large entity will harm many people. But other people can argue that bailing out the large entity harms a different group of people in a different way.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Tortoise wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:56 pm
pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm The judge also made mention that while the plaintiffs have a credible claim that the state may have went around the laws, the courts are aware that any judgment could infringe on the voting rights of the people of PA. So basically, it's a sticky situation. Should the voters be punished and have their right to vote thrown out because the state made an operational blunder? That punishes the voters, not the state. It will be interesting to see what follows, but I have to imagine it to not be very realistic that they would discard the will of millions of voters because of this.
What you seem to have forgotten to mention is the fact that if the state of PA indeed violated election law by bypassing its state legislature and that resulted in its popular vote going to Biden instead of Trump, then effectively the PA residents who voted for Trump had their voting rights infringed. It would be their will that was effectively discarded.

So the disenfranchisement argument here applies to both Biden and Trump voters, not just the Biden voters. If the state of PA violated its election law, then anything other than a complete do-over vote under the previous unmodified PA election law would effectively be disenfranchising a very large group of PA voters.
A do-over would be an interesting possibility. But they are not asking for that. They are asking for all the mail-in votes to be invalidated. We have to look at the ask and the commentary at hand, you have to go read the 13 page legal document (I highly recommend lots of caffeine haha). That was what the judges commentary in Tech's court document was referring to, that if they awarded the ask of throwing the votes out it would infringe upon those voters rights to vote. It's also important to note that there are no claims here of fraud or of illegal unregistered voters voting. So the conclusion you're drawing about how this "skewed" towards Biden is a stretch. There are no legal accusations at this point that any of these votes are by anybody other than legal registered voters. And even if they can eventually prove that, it would likely only be the illegal unregistered voters votes that would be thrown out, not the whole thing.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm Ok so I read the document. Its document granting a stay on certification "pending the results of the evidentiary hearing". So there is nothing at all damning about this. They basically said that since the electoral college doesn't vote until Dec 14, there is no reason to rush, and no harm to be done to anyone by postponing certification a couple of weeks. I agree with this.

Also, the "evidential hearing" they are referring to is a hearing regarding whether the vote by mail was against PA state law. There are no allegations of fraud here. It is trying to get votes made by legally registered voters tossed out after the fact. I'm not sure that the courts would do that. Doesn't seem very realistic to me. The judge also made mention that while the plaintiffs have a credible claim that the state may have went around the laws, the courts are aware that any judgment could infringe on the voting rights of the people of PA. So basically, it's a sticky situation. Should the voters be punished and have their right to vote thrown out because the state made an operational blunder? That punishes the voters, not the state. It will be interesting to see what follows, but I have to imagine it to not be very realistic that they would discard the will of millions of voters because of this.
I read it the same way as you do.
Maybe the State of PA violated its own law. But granting the relief requested opens up potentially bigger violations.
BTW, this case was already appealed to the PA Supreme Court after the initial ruling on Wednesday. I think all the judge was doing here was elaborating on her earlier decision in advance of the state Supreme Court hearing the case.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

glennds wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:45 pm
pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm Ok so I read the document. Its document granting a stay on certification "pending the results of the evidentiary hearing". So there is nothing at all damning about this. They basically said that since the electoral college doesn't vote until Dec 14, there is no reason to rush, and no harm to be done to anyone by postponing certification a couple of weeks. I agree with this.

Maybe the State of PA violated its own law. But granting the relief requested opens up potentially bigger violations.
BTW, this case was already appealed to the PA Supreme Court after the initial ruling on Wednesday. I think all the judge was doing here was elaborating on her earlier decision in advance of the state Supreme Court hearing the case.
Right, you have a violation and a requested resolution. Is the requested resolution fair compensation for the violation? Or are they asking for more than is fair? Is the requested resolution (throwing out votes of legal registered voters) even legal? Is violating the federal right to vote a greater offense than breaking a state law about not allowing mail in ballots? Especially since so many other states do not have laws against mail in ballots. Do the courts even have the power to do that? I'm not sure. I'm very curious to see what comes of it.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:15 pm
Right, you have a violation and a requested resolution. Is the requested resolution fair compensation for the violation? Or are they asking for more than is fair? Is the requested resolution (throwing out votes of legal registered voters) even legal? Is violating the federal right to vote a greater offense than breaking a state law about not allowing mail in ballots? Especially since so many other states do not have laws against mail in ballots. Do the courts even have the power to do that? I'm not sure. I'm very curious to see what comes of it.
It looks like the case was dismissed by the PA Supreme Court a short while ago: https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/11 ... l-request/

And for those that can stomach CNN : https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/politics ... index.html

From what I can see, they dismissed it on technical grounds, but the upshot is that the vote certification can proceed. By technical grounds I *think* the issue is that absentee mail in voting procedures have been established in PA for over a year, and the deadline for objecting to them has passed, not to mention that millions of people have voted using these procedures.

Maybe Maddy knows the answer, but I think the Plaintiff's next path would be to see if SCOTUS will hear it, now that the case has been rejected at the state level. Here is the Court's Order: http://www.pacourts.us/assets/files/set ... ?cb=1f7217
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

glennds wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:43 pm
pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:15 pm
It looks like the case was dismissed by the PA Supreme Court a short while ago: https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/11 ... l-request/

And for those that can stomach CNN : https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/politics ... index.html

From what I can see, they dismissed it on technical grounds, but the upshot is that the vote certification can proceed. By technical grounds I *think* the issue is that absentee mail in voting procedures have been established in PA for over a year, and the deadline for objecting to them has passed, not to mention that millions of people have voted using these procedures.

Maybe Maddy knows the answer, but I think the Plaintiff's next path would be to see if SCOTUS will hear it, now that the case has been rejected at the state level. Here is the Court's Order: http://www.pacourts.us/assets/files/set ... ?cb=1f7217
Well, that was sure fast. I guess so much for the "Republicans will likely win PA election lawsuit" title. This is why looking at the actual court documents is so important, and why I've been hammering people that post articles from low-quality sources. These media outlets quote these things out of context to make it sound like something it isn't. Tech got all excited for a big nothingburger. If we actually take the time to go to and read the source material we actually get to the truth.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm It is trying to get votes made by legally registered voters tossed out after the fact. I'm not sure that the courts would do that. Doesn't seem very realistic to me.
The only time this issue could have been heard by a court is "after the fact." Prior to the election, the case would most certainly have been dismissed for lack of standing. In order to have standing to sue, a plaintiff must be able to demonstrate actual injury.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Maddy wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:00 am
pmward wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm It is trying to get votes made by legally registered voters tossed out after the fact. I'm not sure that the courts would do that. Doesn't seem very realistic to me.
The only time this issue could have been heard by a court is "after the fact." Prior to the election, the case would most certainly have been dismissed for lack of standing. In order to have standing to sue, a plaintiff must be able to demonstrate actual injury.
Right, but that doesn't change the fact that if they gave this award to them it would invalidate the right to vote of millions of PA residents "after the fact", which would be a pretty egregious ruling that would promote "actual injury" to all those voters. Obviously this is all moot, since the ruling came down last night that it was shot down for other reasons. Legally, it doesn't look like Trump currently has much left to stand on. Unless he brings some new suits in the future for actual fraud, it's pretty cut and dry at this point. There are no more suits left at present that could change enough votes to turn any single state over to him, much less the multiple states he would need. So I see no potential that he could stop Biden from being inaugurated on Jan 20.