The etiology of TDS

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The etiology of TDS

Post by pmward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:59 am

The etiology of THS (Tinfoil Hat Syndrome)

Stage 1: Worshipping the ground Trump walks on. Taking his word as the ultimate truth, even when all science, evidence, and objectivity proves his word wrong.

Stage 2: Believing the election was a fraud, and that Trump somehow won, even though Trump's suits keep getting laughed out of court (even by right wing judges) as having no real evidence. At this stage, usually the person also joins Parlor.

Stage 3: Starts to accept crazy conspiracy theories on the internet, even when there is no evidence. Starts to believe that the "left" and "deep state" are evil, and that Trump might be the messianic savior that can single handedly take on this evil.

Stage 4: Full buy in to conspiracy theories like election fraud, "deep state", QAnan, etc. At this stage the person has completely shunned Fox News and only goes to NewsMax, Parlor, QAnon websites, or Trump's twitter feed for their "facts". Anyone who refutes these "facts" is a "TDS level 4". Also, likely to start making posts on bipartisan websites about TDS, blocking everyone who has an opinion other than Trumps, and mass accusing anyone that believes anything different than them as "level 4 TDS".
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:08 pm

A claim I see often by forum members suffering from TDS is that people who voted for Trump hang on his every word or follow Trump blindly like a cult leader. I.e., they practically worship Donald Trump the man. I think that's incorrect.

That may be true of one or two forum members, but for everyone else it doesn't seem to be. The impression I get is that most of us here who voted for Trump didn't do so because we think he's an exemplary human being. We voted for him for one of two main reasons:

1. We largely agree with Trump's policy positions and his strong anti-establishment stance, or
2. We considered the alternative (the Democratic Party in general and the Biden-Harris ticket in particular) to be so bad that we were willing to hold our nose and vote even for a narcissistic showman like Trump because we viewed him as the far lesser of two evils.

Keep in mind, most of us here who voted for Trump agree that the Democratic Party has veered so far left in recent years that virtually any non-Democratic presidential candidate would be less destructive to the future of this nation than a Democrat.

Does that mean we have Democrat Derangement Syndrome (DDS)? Possibly. But the big distinction I see between DDS and TDS is that sufferers of DDS oppose the ideology of the current Democratic Party. By contrast, forum members who suffer from TDS oppose the man named Donald Trump.

Very few people here, if any, are rallying behind Donald Trump the man. We just voted for a presidential candidate who has all the right enemies.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:19 pm

I've been told many times I have TDS, and I am illogical for doing so. But I cannot separate Trump, the man, from Trump, the policies.

Sorry if that offends people, but I want someone I can respect as a person in the office.

And I know that level is different for different people. Apparently it was fine for me in 2016 that he dicked around on his wives. And that he likes to bully and belittle people. I would need a session with a therapist to find out why that was ok with me. But the democrats gave me Hillary as the other option, so I voted Trump.

I hope by 2024 the democrats realize they need to field someone significantly better than Biden again. It's possible that person could be Harris, but I'm not sure yet.

For the record, I don't think Trump is Hitler. I am probably a stage 1. ;D
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Tortoise, I've posted essentially that same thing many times, but it all falls on deaf ears. I think we should add another defining characteristic to advanced TDS (stage 3 or 4): the complete inability to notice when a Trump supporter provides a reasoned basis for their choice that clearly indicates that the person doesn't fit the Trump supporter stereotype (Nazi-sympathizer, deplorable, racist, craven sex abuser, etc).

Sorry Cortopassi but I put you at level 3 or higher. Your decision that Trump's personality outweighs the policy issues is your prerogative and we in the non-TDS camp can all respect that. The part we don't like is that you don't respect our decision to weight those things differently. Or even that we have a right to make such a decision.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:19 pm
I've been told many times I have TDS, and I am illogical for doing so. But I cannot separate Trump, the man, from Trump, the policies.

Sorry if that offends people, but I want someone I can respect as a person in the office.

And I know that level is different for different people. Apparently it was fine for me in 2016 that he dicked around on his wives. And that he likes to bully and belittle people. I would need a session with a therapist to find out why that was ok with me. But the democrats gave me Hillary as the other option, so I voted Trump.

I hope by 2024 the democrats realize they need to field someone significantly better than Biden again. It's possible that person could be Harris, but I'm not sure yet.

For the record, I don't think Trump is Hitler. I am probably a stage 1. ;D
1) I am shocked that you and I seem to be in the minority of wanting someone we can respect!

2) Democrats gave you a perceived Hillary that was severely warped by a 40 year campaign by those on the right who were aided and abetted at times by that Main Stream Media (e.g., New York Times) and the FBI (Comey's devastating timing of bringing up those inconsequential emails. That ALONE gave Trump the election). Hillary was about the most qualified presidential candidate ever.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:33 pm
The part we don't like is that you don't respect our decision to weight those things differently. Or even that we have a right to make such a decision.
I'm pretty good about making my position known. I am also pretty good about not belittling other people's positions.

If you care to find any posts where you felt I did this, let me know. And if I did, sorry.

I don't think I ever came out and said things like, I think you're an effing idiot voting for Trump?

If anything I have been gracious toward tech's belittling of me and my TDS, but I do give back sometimes for sure.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm
If anything I have been gracious toward tech's belittling of me and my TDS, but I do give back sometimes for sure.
Yeah this is the part they fail to see. I was hoping my joke posts about THS would get the point across about how silly and ridiculous the whole TDS thing is. This is a bipartisan forum, like it or not. To come in and insult half the population of the forum over and over and over again gets old. I know it makes me angry, and makes me in turn want to lash out. This is a big reason why I quietly dipped out of this forum in the 6 months prior to the election. I don't think it's fair, or even reasonable, to come into a bipartisan forum, block every person that has a different opinion to you, and to insult these people over and over and over again. It creates a really bad environment. I know specifically of a couple people that used to come here regularly that I still speak to outside the forum, who specifically mentioned Tech's intolerance as one of the main reasons they stopped coming here. I've also spoken privately to some people that still participate here, that have mentioned specifically how Tech's intolerance has made this forum worse. I personally think Tech needs to chill out. If he wants to hang on a forum with people that think differently than him he needs to learn to tolerate other opinions... god knows those of us that are not on the "right" bandwagon have to practice a lot of tolerance here every day. I mean, it's not exactly easy to jump into a right leaning forum and start arguing the other side. Jumping into a den of wolves is about what it feels like. I personally find it beneficial though to listen to the other side argue against my ideas. I may not always agree with their arguments, sometimes I might even get a bit heated, but it is sometimes thought provoking to get a different angle to look through, and other times it is validating when the other side cannot argue my point away. There is value in the discourse. Blocking and labelling everything that does not 100% align with one's views as TDS is not only a weak debate tactic, but it has really negatively effected the environment here, imo.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:45 pm
sophie wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:33 pm
Tortoise, I've posted essentially that same thing many times, but it all falls on deaf ears. I think we should add another defining characteristic to advanced TDS (stage 3 or 4): the complete inability to notice when a Trump supporter provides a reasoned basis for their choice that clearly indicates that the person doesn't fit the Trump supporter stereotype (Nazi-sympathizer, deplorable, racist, craven sex abuser, etc).

Sorry Cortopassi but I put you at level 3 or higher. Your decision that Trump's personality outweighs the policy issues is your prerogative and we in the non-TDS camp can all respect that. The part we don't like is that you don't respect our decision to weight those things differently. Or even that we have a right to make such a decision.
Part of the definition of those stages is that trump supporters are nazis, and of course you can’t listen to nazis when they explain that they aren’t actually nazis.
Whatever man. I have more Trump supporting friends than Biden supporting and we all manage to get along without anyone calling another a Nazi.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Tangentially related to TDS, are any of you kind of dreading the political comments that some of your family members or friends are bound to make at your Thanksgiving gatherings?

I can tell you anecdotally that at my large family gatherings (on both my side and my wife's), the only people that I hear occasionally blurt out a heated political comment at elevated volume are the ones with TDS who are bitching about Trump. Most everyone else seems to keep a more normal tone of voice and largely avoids discussing political topics.

Sample size of one, but... just saying.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:33 pm

Question for those Trump supporters that draw a distinction between Trump the person and the New Republican Populist Trump Associated Policies -

If in fact it's the policies that matter and Trump himself might be disposable, then is there another person in the Republican Party, or anywhere in the political universe that you would see and support as a substitute standard bearer?
Last edited by glennds on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:33 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:19 pm
Tangentially related to TDS, are any of you kind of dreading the political comments that some of your family members or friends are bound to make at your Thanksgiving gatherings?

I can tell you anecdotally that at my large family gatherings (on both my side and my wife's), the only people that I hear occasionally blurt out a heated political comment at elevated volume are the ones with TDS who are bitching about Trump. Most everyone else seems to keep a more normal tone of voice and largely avoids discussing political topics.

Ditto. Now you can say sample size of two. 🍻
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:34 pm

Tortoise wrote:

Ohh, can of worms...!

Who's actually having Thanksgiving gatherings?

I'm actually looking forward to a quiet 4 person nuclear family Thanksgiving with no stressing about food and discussion topics!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:38 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:34 pm
Tortoise wrote:

Ohh, can of worms...!

I'm actually looking forward to a quiet 4 person nuclear family Thanksgiving with no stressing about food and discussion topics!
You are having twice as large a gathering as we are. 🤣🤣🤣
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:38 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

Ohh, can of worms...!

You are having twice as large a gathering as we are. 🤣🤣🤣
And, YOURS will be TWICE mine! (Note: Not including 13 completely lovable animals!)

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:58 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Ohh, can of worms...!

;D

I'm having a small gathering on my side (7 people total), and a large gathering on my wife's side (probably ~25 people just like every other year). At the latter, we plan to spend most of the time outdoors in the backyard. It's CA, so we won't freeze to death.

The large gathering on my wife's side was almost cancelled at the last minute for a few reasons, one of which was that the left-leaning hosts caught wind that a few conservative family members from Texas (who voted for Trump!) might be coming. No joke.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:05 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:58 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Ohh, can of worms...!

13 people for ours, my 5 and 8 immediate family members. We have a mask requirement except during the meal, not willing to shut down life completely. It is crazy fewer have tide from the virus than cancer or heart disease this year. I wish people were as concerned about eating healthy as they were wearing a mask.
For certain!

We humans bring on so much misery on ourselves by our poor lifestyle choices (this writer NOT excluded!).

Vinny
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:19 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:05 pm
For certain!

We humans bring on so much misery on ourselves by our poor lifestyle choices (this writer NOT excluded!).

Vinny
It's human nature want to enjoy life. As long as we don't overdo it we can live a long and happy life. O0
That is my biggest vice that I'm like a computer in being so binary. Either all the way or nothing. Little moderation.

Vinny
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:36 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:02 pm
glennds wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:33 pm
Question for those Trump supporters that draw a distinction between Trump the person and the New Republican Populist Trump Associated Policies -

If in fact it's the policies that matter and Trump himself might be disposable, then is there another person in the Republican Party, or anywhere in the political universe that you would see and support as a substitute standard bearer?
This is an excellent question. I don't think one currently exists, but I have no doubt some smart (R) politician will come out of the woodwork with that message by 2024.
Is Trump going to allow that though? Rumor on the street is Trump is going to announce his 2024 run before Jan 20. Basically, *if* this is true, he would be blocking any other potential talented Republicans from having a shot until at least 2028. It would basically be a power move within the party, to keep himself as top dog and prevent anyone else from moving up (or on) for at least the next 4 years.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 pm

pmward wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:36 pm
MangoMan wrote:
glennds wrote:

This is an excellent question. I don't think one currently exists, but I have no doubt some smart (R) politician will come out of the woodwork with that message by 2024.
Is Trump going to allow that though? Rumor on the street is Trump is going to announce his 2024 run before Jan 20. Basically, *if* this is true, he would be blocking any other potential talented Republicans from having a shot until at least 2028. It would basically be a power move within the party, to keep himself as top dog and prevent anyone else from moving up (or on) for at least the next 4 years.
Oh, God, we can't get rid of him. I feel an attack of TDS coming on...!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:03 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:58 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Ohh, can of worms...!

13 people for ours, my 5 and 8 immediate family members. We have a mask requirement except during the meal, not willing to shut down life completely. It is crazy fewer have died from the virus than cancer or heart disease this year. I wish people were as concerned about eating healthy as they were wearing a mask.

EDIT: spelling
An alternative point of view?

Vinny
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (52.29 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 pm
pmward wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
glennds wrote:

I feel you. Is it really too much to ask to just have him quietly ride off into the sunset like every other ex-president ever? I've heard he is even planning on keeping his traveling rally circus going the whole next 4 years as a way to generate income. I can't say if these things are true or not, but it sounds realistic to me. I'm glad he won't be in power, but I fully expect him to do anything he can to stay front and center.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:46 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, guys, but Trump isn't going anywhere. Either he'll remain President for the next four years, or he'll most likely start a new media empire that will give him even more exposure than he enjoyed as President.

Trump has been incredibly lucrative for the media. He's been their cash cow for the past four years. Does anyone honestly think the media will suddenly just start ignoring him if Biden replaces him in the White House? Hell no...

Trump-bashing is the media's new business model and about half the country's national pastime; they won't give it up anytime soon.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:57 pm

pmward wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:22 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 pm
pmward wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
glennds wrote:

I feel you. Is it really too much to ask to just have him quietly ride off into the sunset like every other ex-president ever? I've heard he is even planning on keeping his traveling rally circus going the whole next 4 years as a way to generate income. I can't say if these things are true or not, but it sounds realistic to me. I'm glad he won't be in power, but I fully expect him to do anything he can to stay front and center.
It could end up looking like something approximating a shadow presidency. At the very least he'll likely be the most vocal critic of anything and everything the Biden administration does.