Whoa: Nearly a Third of Democrats Believe the Election Was Stolen From Trump

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Whoa: Nearly a Third of Democrats Believe the Election Was Stolen From Trump

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:34 am

I thought this was a very good comment from another blog site:

"I'm shocked how fast the Trump crowd turned on Tucker Carlson. After years of being cited as perhaps the best host on TV, he is suddenly persona non grata for saying that Powell didn't want to provide any evidence on his show.

This illustrates how cult-like US politics (particularly in Trump's corner) has become. It's not enough to agree 98% of the time with someone, it needs to be TOTAL lockstep. Anything less makes you a Satanic communist. It's completely crazy!"
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Whoa: Nearly a Third of Democrats Believe the Election Was Stolen From Trump

Post by doodle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:49 am

So is the right now eating itself too?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:51 am

But, then...Giuliani and Trump Inc. walked away from Powell...so maybe they should be devoured as well. Maybe Trump isn't even Trump enough!
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:57 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:34 am

"I'm shocked how fast the Trump crowd turned on Tucker Carlson. After years of being cited as perhaps the best host on TV, he is suddenly persona non grata for saying that Powell didn't want to provide any evidence on his show.

This illustrates how cult-like US politics (particularly in Trump's corner) has become. It's not enough to agree 98% of the time with someone, it needs to be TOTAL lockstep. Anything less makes you a Satanic communist. It's completely crazy!"
Yeah I agree. It's pretty scary when having a differing opinion results in being shunned. See the debate in the other thread last week about "tyranny of the majority" as this is a fitting example happening within the Republican Party. I think this actually works against the Republican Party in the end. If they keep shunning their own, the very people they depend on for votes, casting anyone who isn't super far extreme right as "RINO's", and publicly shunning and rejecting them... how does this not wind up in fewer Republicans and Republican votes in the future? How does telling people they are not allowed to think for themselves and have to accept the leaders narrative 100% or be disowned attract new Republicans? All the moderate Republicans are basically being told they need to conform to the populist extreme or GTFO. A good chunk of those will take the GTFO option. This whole strategy just seems so short sighted. I feel like Trump is putting himself above his party. It's going to take a long time for the Republican Party to clean up the mess that Trump is leaving them with.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 am

l82start wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:22 am
doodle wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:07 am
This dude coming on the forum and immediately asking how to ignore people. Lol
no sudden dawning of self awareness regarding the type of posts that are driving people to find the block button? or awareness of how badly these type of posts have lowered the level of discourse?
I can totally understand blocking someone who is consistently inflammatory or obnoxious, but speaking only for myself, I value hearing differing points of view from my own. And more importantly, understanding the the thought process behind them, or sometimes confirming the lack of a thought process.

If someone simply blocks out everyone who doesn't agree with them, they have basically created a self-reinforcing echo chamber.
Of course, keeping it civil is important.
Could you imagine if this forum ended up with two or more tribes that blocked out everyone except their fellow tribe members? Is that what's happening in society?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:04 am

It's also funny in a way, how for years people have been focusing on the divide between the extreme populists and moderates in the Democratic Party, and wondering how they could hold the ship together. But somehow, they managed to hold it together (likely just uniting under the common hatred of Trump) while the Republican Party quietly became the "boat" who's hull is starting to be torn apart in a battle between extreme populists and moderates.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:12 am

i am not personally in favor of blocking, however there is a dramatic difference between intelligent debate and trolling, and the trolls don't add to the debate ... they wont be missed by those who no longer see their posts..

blocking a poster is a personal choice, i hope the frustration with trolls and the attack posts doesn't lead to tribal blocking, or to the blocking of posters who are in the majority posting intelligent commentary on either side. even if some of the partisans that normally post quality do get carried away by the moment and cross into "shit post " territory..
Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:14 am

drumminj wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:25 am
sophie wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 am
Wow, what's happened to this forum? It used to be a place filled with intelligent, well thought out discussions on a wide range of topics. Now it's an echo chamber where the crazies reign supreme.
I've gotten the same impression, and honestly stopped reading here for the past few weeks. The folks engaging in diatribes and personal attacks seem to be drowning out the rest.
I think that's why when Craig initially setup the forum he had a "no politics" rule.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:18 am

glennds wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:35 pm
2016 campaign clearly stolen from Hillary!

From the book I finished tonight...there is far, far more in the book. All reveals how despicable many on the right are and how gullible are many of their supporters.

Vinny

Vinny,
Is the book Hiding In Plain Sight by Sarah Kendzior?
No. I realized later I should have disclosed. This is it:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (59.02 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am

l82start wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:22 am
doodle wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:07 am
This dude coming on the forum and immediately asking how to ignore people. Lol
no sudden dawning of self awareness regarding the type of posts that are driving people to find the block button? or awareness of how badly these type of posts have lowered the level of discourse?
If lunatics had self-awareness, they wouldn't be lunatics.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 am

pmward wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:57 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:34 am

Yeah I agree. It's pretty scary when having a differing opinion results in being shunned. See the debate in the other thread last week about "tyranny of the majority" as this is a fitting example happening within the Republican Party. I think this actually works against the Republican Party in the end. If they keep shunning their own, the very people they depend on for votes, casting anyone who isn't super far extreme right as "RINO's", and publicly shunning and rejecting them... how does this not wind up in fewer Republicans and Republican votes in the future? How does telling people they are not allowed to think for themselves and have to accept the leaders narrative 100% or be disowned attract new Republicans? All the moderate Republicans are basically being told they need to conform to the populist extreme or GTFO. A good chunk of those will take the GTFO option. This whole strategy just seems so short sighted. I feel like Trump is putting himself above his party. It's going to take a long time for the Republican Party to clean up the mess that Trump is leaving them with.
It is NOT just YOUR feeling. Trump ALWAYS puts his own individual interests above ALL ELSE. ALWAYS!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 am

AdamA wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:14 am
I think that's why when Craig initially setup the forum he had a "no politics" rule.
He did? I didn't know that. It was certainly not evident by the time I joined.

In the current situation though, you'd have a hard time blocking the medical/health aspects of current politics. As I recall, there were a LOT of very controversial health related threads in the past. Also, most political discussions were abstract commentaries on things like libertarianism, the Fed, etc. So unbelievably civil now, in retrospect.

If we had a debate on Trump-style populism rather than the exclusive focus of certain forum members on Trump himself, that would be potentially of interest. I just don't see it happening though. It's not really politics that's driving this, it's the sheer malevolence of those posters, and complete disregard of any point of view that might not be fully consistent with that malevolent set of opinions.