Trump self pardon

User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by l82start » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:22 am

pmward wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 am
l82start wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:47 am
Ad Orientem wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:02 pm
Indeed. The way the political left in this country has so enthusiastically embraced lunatic conspiracy theories, and moved more and more into information bubbles that serve only to reinforce these delusional beliefs and other frankly extremist ideas, is deeply worrisome. This is how hitherto stable and healthy societies become destabilized with the radicalization of large segments of the population. And I honestly don't know what to do about it. There reaches a point where the true believers become impervious to facts and reason and withdraw into their own fantasy world of dark and malevolent right wing conspiracies. History has shown that once you reach a certain point, violence becomes the next logical step in "resistance" to the perceived enemy. I think we are getting very close to a tipping point beyond which things could get ugly fast.
fixed this for you.. just to make the point that it absolutely applies to the other side in equal measure..

the problem isn't that what you are stating isn't true,, the problem is that both sides are blind to the fact that it "absolutely applies to the other side in equal measure" the country was far saner when all Americans had an inherent (rational/justified) distrust of government..

in defense of the forums trump supporters I suspect that few or none of us/them are viewing trump as a messianic figure, he is a hot mess of a president.. rational skeptics and those righteously fearful of tyrants see him as the lesser of two bad choices. the left leaning cant seem to grasp the subtlety of that difference or the need to DISTRUST THEM ALL..
I agree with you here on quite a bit actually. Though, I see Biden as the lesser of two bad choices by a long shot. Also, I believe the lunatic conspiracy theories on the "right" are much more extreme and delusional than those on the "left", though I do agree they do exist. Both sides have their populist propaganda. But on the "right" it's like looney bin tin-foil hat level these days. I trust National Enquirer more than I trust "right" media these days.
i trust NO MEDIA at all these days, mainstream media including the ones passing themselves off as right wing are all bought and payed for by those corrupted by power..
i will concede that there is a tendency for some to take a justifiable paranoia and run with it to the point of absurdity (Alex Jones types) but being a distrustful skeptic myself i tend to suspect that some or all of the wakadoo stuff is little more than another bought and payed for attempt to discredit the very same justifiable paranoia. if you take a common sense rational/justified distrust of government and connect it to a nut case you make all the real reasons to distrust government look shady..
Government 2020 - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4084
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by sophie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:36 am

Ad Orientem wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:31 pm
For them Donald Trump has become a messianic figure, which is why I have said that the GOP has become a cult of personality. For the true believers, some of whom do post on this forum, they have become drunk on Trump's Kool-Aid.
Gee Ad, tell us what you really think?

I've said repeatedly that I recognize that Trump has a lot of personality issues and that his Twitter posts are an embarrassment to the office. I get all that, and so do most of his supporters (including those on the forum).

The whole issue, which you all in the Biden/Harris camp cannot seem to understand no matter how many times we say it, is that it is not the only criterion for judging the quality of a President. I happen to care far more about policies, i.e. substance, than style (i.e. the twitter rants). If you judge Trump by his policies, he is one of the most successful Presidents in decades. I decided I want more of that, and am willing to put up with his personal style in order to get it.

Not only that, but the policies promoted by the other side scare me, and will do severe, long-lasting damage to this country. Sure, Biden will act more presidential than Trump. It just depends on how you weigh those two considerations. I do not appreciate the name calling of people like me who happen to weigh those two things differently than you. I would say that this is more of a cause of the polarization you complain about constantly than anything Trump has done.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3793
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 am

Wackadoodle Michigan state senator starts singing bible songs when asked straightforward questions regarding election. Head scratcher...

https://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/commen ... ium=mweb
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by Lonestar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:58 am

I'd probably become a "Wackadoodle" if I had some bimbo running her mouth like that in my ear! Just watching the video reminded me of fingernails scratching on a chalkboard. How would you react to being in an airport and having someone, uninvited, following you around?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3793
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by doodle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:04 am

Lonestar wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:58 am
I'd probably become a "Wackadoodle" if I had some bimbo running her mouth like that in my ear! Just watching the video reminded me of fingernails scratching on a chalkboard. How would you react to being in an airport and having someone, uninvited, following you around?
Considering that he is an elected official specifically called to Washington to meet with the president about overthrowing the peoples vote by conducting a legislative branch coup, I'd have the spine to answer some questions instead of just singing bible hymns. What is that about? You hate spineless politicians? Then why do you keep defending them. She didn't ask any questions that were outside the pale. The only bimbo I see is him
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3435
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:08 pm

doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 am
l82start wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 am
And thank you to doodle for proving of the point....
I won't argue that the left doesn't have some bad ideas...but loony conspiracies....please enlighten me.

The only one I can name are the 9/11 truthers. A poll conducted around the time of the 2008 election showed a little over 1/4 of registered Democrats suspected that 9/11 was an inside job and that George Bush was involved.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by glennds » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:08 pm
doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 am
l82start wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 am
And thank you to doodle for proving of the point....
I won't argue that the left doesn't have some bad ideas...but loony conspiracies....please enlighten me.

The only one I can name are the 9/11 truthers. A poll conducted around the time of the 2008 election showed a little over 1/4 of registered Democrats suspected that 9/11 was an inside job and that George Bush was involved.
Maybe some of that is unrelated to political parties.
We Americans love us a good conspiracy theory, always have.
Grassy knolls, faked moon landings, Area 51, Bigfoot, Walt Disney and the secret societies he belonged to,
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3435
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm

glennds wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:08 pm
doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 am
l82start wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 am
And thank you to doodle for proving of the point....
I won't argue that the left doesn't have some bad ideas...but loony conspiracies....please enlighten me.

The only one I can name are the 9/11 truthers. A poll conducted around the time of the 2008 election showed a little over 1/4 of registered Democrats suspected that 9/11 was an inside job and that George Bush was involved.
Maybe some of that is unrelated to political parties.
We Americans love us a good conspiracy theory, always have.
Grassy knolls, faked moon landings, Area 51, Bigfoot, Walt Disney and the secret societies he belonged to,

Sorry, 9/11 trutherism has always been the bat shit crazy child of the political left. Some of the kooky theories you listed cross ideological lines. But not this one. Birtherism was the political opposite, being the nutty child of the right.
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by l82start » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 pm

i thought the earliest proposition of birther-ism was a campaign ploy by Hilary against Barack in the primary's, one that was picked up by the right during the general election?
Government 2020 - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3435
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:39 pm

l82start wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 pm
i thought the earliest proposition of birther-ism was a campaign ploy by Hilary against Barack in the primary's, one that was picked up by the right during the general election?

It started on the political right, though it did briefly gain a few subscribers among more hardcore Clinton supporters during the '08 primaries. But while it gained huge traction on the right, it never really caught on with anyone else.

See...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Ob ... y_theories
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by l82start » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Government 2020 - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Trump self pardon

Post by Lonestar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:41 pm

doodle wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:04 am
Lonestar wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:58 am
I'd probably become a "Wackadoodle" if I had some bimbo running her mouth like that in my ear! Just watching the video reminded me of fingernails scratching on a chalkboard. How would you react to being in an airport and having someone, uninvited, following you around?
Considering that he is an elected official specifically called to Washington to meet with the president about overthrowing the peoples vote by conducting a legislative branch coup, I'd have the spine to answer some questions instead of just singing bible hymns. What is that about? You hate spineless politicians? Then why do you keep defending them. She didn't ask any questions that were outside the pale. The only bimbo I see is him
I believe you read something into my post that was not there. I did not intend to mention the politician or judge his actions. My intent was to point out that most folks, walking through an airport and minding their own business, have the right to enjoy privacy.

Who wants a continuum of questions by an uninvited guest at an inappropriate time?

Now, on a completely different subject, I'm not sure any elected official has the obligation to answer questions at any random time. Press conferences or interviews are for that. Also, is an elected official obligated to state who they are scheduled to meet with and what the subject will be? Your assumption that this individual's mission is to "meet with the president about overthrowing the peoples vote" is just that, an assumption.
Post Reply