Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Election meaningless unless we change for the better

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:37 pm
doodle wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:10 pm
That used to work...and I'm not knocking amazon...I like what they offer...but A LOT of the reviews are fake nowadays. That said, their return policy is so easy it's pretty easy to put it right back in the mail.
When I return Amazon products, I no longer even have to print out a return label or find an envelope. I just walk into my neighborhood Kohl's, walk up to their Amazon returns counter, hand them the item and let them scan the QR code on my phone, and I'm done. Couldn't be faster or easier.

The best long-term solution to the user data privacy problem is probably for one or more private companies to offer customers a simple turnkey solution that somehow protects the privacy of all of their online data.

Given the current patchwork nature of the Internet, however, I have no idea what such a turnkey solution would look like. And it doesn't seem forthcoming. But there does seem to be a growing need for it, and necessity is the mother of invention.
You don't live in a rural area. As I just stated, it'd be a minimum 45 to 60 minute round trip for me to deal with bringing it to where I'd need to return it. Plus, having to spend time finding parking and paying for the parking.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Election meaningless unless we change for the better

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:01 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:54 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:47 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:37 pm
doodle wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:10 pm
That used to work...and I'm not knocking amazon...I like what they offer...but A LOT of the reviews are fake nowadays. That said, their return policy is so easy it's pretty easy to put it right back in the mail.
When I return Amazon products, I no longer even have to print out a return label or find an envelope. I just walk into my neighborhood Kohl's, walk up to their Amazon returns counter, hand them the item and let them scan the QR code on my phone, and I'm done. Couldn't be faster or easier.

The best long-term solution to the user data privacy problem is probably for one or more private companies to offer customers a simple turnkey solution that somehow protects the privacy of all of their online data.

Given the current patchwork nature of the Internet, however, I have no idea what such a turnkey solution would look like. And it doesn't seem forthcoming. But there does seem to be a growing need for it, and necessity is the mother of invention.
You don't live in a rural area. As I just stated, it'd be a minimum 45 to 60 minute round trip for me to deal with bringing it to where I'd need to return it. Plus, having to spend time finding parking and paying for the parking.

Vinny
You can also return to the UPS Store. There has to be one of those reasonably close by, no?
That'd be a minimum 30 to 45 minutes to get there and back and conduct the transaction. Plus, if I have to make it by a deadline there would be all the time necessary just to get out of the house. Add in another 30 minutes.

I generally cut all kinds of corners in my life that "normal" people do so that I spend the time doing what I enjoy doing.

I don't "run errands". I generally only get gas or buy food when it it on my way home from work. Did not use to make any special trips for either of those or anything else. Tried to combine with anything else I was already out doing.

One of the benefits for living the life of an eccentric.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."