Election meaningless unless we change for the better

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Election meaningless unless we change for the better

Post by vnatale »

doodle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:19 pm So Trump admits for first time that Biden won, but says he's not conceding. All his lawsuits are getting tossed out. There is no evidence. Is there any reasonable defense of this mans behavior and that of his administration? There is no recent precedent for any of this. If you doubted Trump's psychosis before, this has to be proof that the man needs a lot of psychological help. Getting rid of Trump will be first step of 'a change for the better'...not saying his platform and policies, but the man himself is toxic to health of nation.
No doubt.

But all his supporters - be they his voters or his fellow Republican politicians - need to also assess their roles in enabling all his behaviors.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

vnatale wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:26 pm
doodle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:19 pm So Trump admits for first time that Biden won, but says he's not conceding. All his lawsuits are getting tossed out. There is no evidence. Is there any reasonable defense of this mans behavior and that of his administration? There is no recent precedent for any of this. If you doubted Trump's psychosis before, this has to be proof that the man needs a lot of psychological help. Getting rid of Trump will be first step of 'a change for the better'...not saying his platform and policies, but the man himself is toxic to health of nation.
No doubt.

But all his supporters - be they his voters or his fellow Republican politicians - need to also assess their roles in enabling all his behaviors.

Vinny
What does it go to show? Republican politicians are willing to bow down to an authoritarian and they are willing to threaten our very democracy itself... if it allows them to stay in power a measly 4 more years. There has been no evidence of this supposed large scale fraud. It is shameful that so many Republican politicians went along with it. It's actually hurt their Georgia senate races, as these two Republican senate candidates have had to toe an uncomfortable line in messaging between "we are not allowed to say Trump lost" BUT "let's rally the Republicans behind us to block the blue wave". Hats off to the few great Republicans like Mitt Romney and George W. Bush who were willing to stand up for democracy in congratulating Biden on his win early on.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Based on footage I saw from DC rally yesterday...we have a lot of work to do to bridge this divide. The conflicts and violence I witnessed were pretty terrifying...from both sides. Maybe we will never get everyone on the same page, but it would be nice if we could be reading from the same book so to speak. I really hope Biden can move the dialogue back to a point where we can have civil conversations about issues again without resorting to calling each other Nazis or Communists.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:49 pm pmward -

Charity does work, I have volunteered in many charitable capacities and grew up where there was considerably less government spending and people helped others during their hour of need whether they lost their job, their house/farm burnt down, or crop yield was low. Just because you are young and have been conditioned to rely on the government doesn't mean there wasn't a recent past where people and communities took care of each other.

Given the condescending tone of your posts I think it might be better to just agree to disagree.

Regards,
IG
I'm not sure what charities you are referring to or what your conversation about this with Pm refers to. I aknowledge that charities can do some good but I don't think they are effective with dealing with large social issues. Take for example homelessness and all its myriad causes. The local charities in my area would provide food for them (right in front of my apartment of course) which meant that my neighborhood was constantly innundated with people who had drug problems, violence issues, and mental disorders. They would hang out there because that is where the charities chose to feed them. On the other hand, the government combined resources from 4 cities and built a large facility with resources to help local area homeless....mental health counseling, drug rehab, beds and showers etc. A local charity wouldn't have had the ability to build something like this.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

No doubt.

Vinny
I wonder if enabling is the right word. The most devoted segment of the Trump supporters never needed any proof of fraud to be validated by a court. Trump declaring it is all they need. It's like a messianic power.
Unfortunately, that part of his base will never accept the Biden administration, or simply move on - unless they receive Trump's permission to do so.
It's a remarkable amount of de facto power.
If you want to hear about tyranny of the majority, talk to Trump's base and I'm sure you'll hear about it in no uncertain terms.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:25 pm
doodle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:02 pm I'm not sure what charities you are referring to or what your conversation about this with Pm refers to. I aknowledge that charities can do some good but I don't think they are effective with dealing with large social issues. Take for example homelessness and all its myriad causes. The local charities in my area would provide food for them (right in front of my apartment of course) which meant that my neighborhood was constantly innundated with people who had drug problems, violence issues, and mental disorders. They would hang out there because that is where the charities chose to feed them. On the other hand, the government combined resources from 4 cities and built a large facility with resources to help local area homeless....mental health counseling, drug rehab, beds and showers etc. A local charity wouldn't have had the ability to build something like this.
Maybe we have opened pandora's box and can't go back. My point was that in the not so distant past charities and communities took care of each other without government programs.

On your specific example I don't live in your neighborhood so I don't know what was best. My line of thinking here is that communities and regions are going to know how to help those in need better than a bunch of politicians in DC. It's not an easy puzzle to solve, but being reliant as a society on the government to do good or help those in need is a recipe for collapse.
Perhaps....in this case it was local governments that decided to work together to coordinate solution...no involvement from state or national government. I think different issues require different solutions. Private charities have their place, however I think there are larger issues such as healthcare or social safety nets that are probably best handled by government for reasons of administrative efficiency and resources. That's just my perspective though.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:48 pm
doodle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:42 pm Perhaps....in this case it was local governments that decided to work together to coordinate solution...no involvement from state or national government. I think different issues require different solutions. Private charities have their place, however I think there are larger issues such as healthcare or social safety nets that are probably best handled by government for reasons of administrative efficiency and resources. That's just my perspective though.
I think you hit on something here, normally I would never use the word government and administrative efficiency in the same sentence unless I am being sarcastic (I have recently been to both the DMV and the Post Office). I do believe that local governments are more likely to be efficient with their funds and agree some issues may be too difficult for charities given the growing tax burden placed on our citizens.
I don't know about that either. While I agree I have seen instances of government inefficiency...gross inefficiency in some cases, my experience with most airlines and phone companies has been even worse. I have been left waiting on hold for two hours sometimes just to solve a problem with Verizon. In these cases their profit efficiency comes at the expense of my time. I also think that the government operates in many arenas where measuring efficiency is complicated...say public education.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

glennds wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:05 pm
No doubt.

Vinny
I wonder if enabling is the right word. The most devoted segment of the Trump supporters never needed any proof of fraud to be validated by a court. Trump declaring it is all they need. It's like a messianic power.
Unfortunately, that part of his base will never accept the Biden administration, or simply move on - unless they receive Trump's permission to do so.
It's a remarkable amount of de facto power.
If you want to hear about tyranny of the majority, talk to Trump's base and I'm sure you'll hear about it in no uncertain terms.
Right now I am listening to the entire Washington D.C. rally from yesterday. Don't agree with anything anyone has said. They all live in a different world from me.

By the way....from observing the many women speaking at this rally....is it a good assumption that the vast majority of women with (dyed) blond hair are conservatives / Republicans?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:16 pm
doodle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:51 pm Based on footage I saw from DC rally yesterday...we have a lot of work to do to bridge this divide. The conflicts and violence I witnessed were pretty terrifying...from both sides. Maybe we will never get everyone on the same page, but it would be nice if we could be reading from the same book so to speak. I really hope Biden can move the dialogue back to a point where we can have civil conversations about issues again without resorting to calling each other Nazis or Communists.
That is exactly the heart of the matter, people need to turn off the divisive news media and realize that people are all trying to do the best they can in their sphere of influence regardless of their political beliefs.

Honestly politicians could go a long way towards helping this by denouncing the violence as the news media is only throwing fuel on the fire. I'm sure neither side is without blame, but why doesn't Biden or anyone on the left condem the antifa/BLM violence? DC didn't board up it's storefronts in case of a Biden win...
I am on C-Span web site right now watching the full event. It's not "the divisive news media" that I am watching. I am watching what it was at its source. Therefore I base my judgements on what I am watching completely independent of "the divisive news media".

I did get from this, though, that the people are completely unhappy with Fox News. They are wondering what got into Fox News. It's amazing that none of them are able to figure out that when Fox News says that president is wrong then.....he REALLY MUST be wrong!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

doodle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:42 pm Perhaps....in this case it was local governments that decided to work together to coordinate solution...no involvement from state or national government. I think different issues require different solutions. Private charities have their place, however I think there are larger issues such as healthcare or social safety nets that are probably best handled by government for reasons of administrative efficiency and resources. That's just my perspective though.
I think you hit on something here, normally I would never use the word government and administrative efficiency in the same sentence unless I am being sarcastic (I have recently been to both the DMV and the Post Office). I do believe that local governments are more likely to be efficient with their funds and agree some issues may be too difficult for charities given the growing tax burden placed on our citizens.
Medicare seems to be far more efficient (i.e., far less overheard) than private insurance. Are private pension companies more efficient than Social Security?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

doodle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:07 pm
I don't know about that either. While I agree I have seen instances of government inefficiency...gross inefficiency in some cases, my experience with most airlines and phone companies has been even worse. I have been left waiting on hold for two hours sometimes just to solve a problem with Verizon. In these cases their profit efficiency comes at the expense of my time. I also think that the government operates in many arenas where measuring efficiency is complicated...say public education.
I am absolutely scared to death to call my two main suppliers - Comcast and DirecTV -- because I feel like I need to set aside a full hour to get anything done with them. Trying to get through all their phone menus (if you even find a phone number to call). Waiting to talk to a human. Hoping you get someone who can actually both understand and solve your problem.

Vinny
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:27 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:16 pm Medicare seems to be far more efficient (i.e., far less overheard) than private insurance. Are private pension companies more efficient than Social Security?

Vinny
This one is easy given that I have read many studies on Medicare. While many politicians might say this, the fact remains that because Medicare reimbursement rates for providers is so low, the providers must raise rates in the private market to make up for it. Providers cannot simply raise rates on their own for Medicare patients, nor for Medicaid.

Private pension funds and social security are not exactly comparable, but I can confidently say that if only the portion you contribute (not your employers) to Social Security were sent to a private pension company you would get a way bigger monthy payout at retirement for all but the poorest of Americans.

EDITED: missed the social security reference in the original reply
1. You are correct on what you say about Medicare. On the other hand, for those without health insurance medical providers make them subsidize BOTH Medicare and private insurers.

2. Pensions. Maybe. Or, maybe not. Social Security has a guaranteed return while, as we all know, there are no guarantees regarding any financial markets. Of course, we all know that Social Security is really a grand Ponzi scheme. But getting back to the efficiency part of it....are the overhead costs for running Social Security higher or lower than that for private pension plans? Also getting back to my original point what is the reward / risk ratio for Social Security compared to private pensions?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

tomfoolery wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:34 pm
InsuranceGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:27 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:16 pm Medicare seems to be far more efficient (i.e., far less overheard) than private insurance. Are private pension companies more efficient than Social Security?

Vinny
This one is easy given that I have read many studies on Medicare. While many politicians might say this, the fact remains that because Medicare reimbursement rates for providers is so low, the providers must raise rates in the private market to make up for it. Providers cannot simply raise rates on their own for Medicare patients, nor for Medicaid.
It’s called “cost shifting” whereby CMS (centers for Medicare and Medicaid) set prices for reimbursement below market value and private insurance is expected to pay more to cover. CMS has favored nation clauses and set their prices.

The hospital can either accept the prices or refuse to accept Medicare/Medicaid. Since these patients now account for 60% or so of all patients in the US, the hospital would have to divest its staff and infrastructure if it stopped taking CMS patients. As long as private insurance will subsidize CMS, it will continue to be “extremely efficient.”
However, as I just pointed out in another response, those without any form of health insurance are expected to pay the full, undiscounted costs for medical services.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

tomfoolery wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:42 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:16 pm
Are private pension companies more efficient than Social Security?

Vinny
Of course private pension can’t compete with social security. Because private pensions are:
  • Required to actually set aside money for their plan participants
    Unable to print more money when needed
    Unable to define the rate of inflation to which their pension payouts are pegged
    Unable to redefine the rate of inflation years later to reduce payout
    Unable to mandate that future pensioners pay into the fund with no contractual promise of benefits
    Unable to recollect a portion of the pension back to add back to the pension company funds through taxation of benefits
To compare social security to private pension is laughable. Social security doesn’t actually have any money. All the money paid out to participants in 2020 was collected from taxes in 2020 by people whom are promised they’ll get something but that promise isn’t guaranteed and has changed over time.

Over time the CPI calculation has changed models for the worse to downplay inflation.

Over time the payout rates and curves have changed for the worse

Over time the required income level paid to the social security tax has increased higher than inflation

Over time the required age to retire has increased

Over time social security income had become taxable as income

Social security is a giant pyramid scheme that has no assets.

Comparatively private pensions must actually define the benefits they will give, are required to pay such out, are required to pay into a government-run insurance plan in case they fail to pay. They can’t change the payout rate or age of retirement over time.

So yes, social security is vastly superior to private pensions. And Gala Apples are my favorite type of orange to eat as a snack.
On both of your replies and another person's.....you've enlarged the question beyond the original much narrow question.

Efficiency.

Does Medicare and Social Security do their processing work in an more efficient manner than their private counterparts. We are talking about all the overheard to accomplish their work, which includes sales & marketing, neither of which Social Security or Medicare has.

Therefore the question is...

1) If Medicare paid out the same comparable payments that private insurers do would it's overhead be less than private insurers? I'd argue Yes.

2) Regarding Social Security and private pensions. We are not comparing returns or how they give their payouts or how they are funded. We are comparing the overheard that each requires to get the necessary payments to their recipients. With necessary sales / marketing costs being part of the overheard.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

tomfoolery wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:07 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:57 pm
Does Medicare and Social Security do their processing work in an more efficient manner than their private counterparts. We are talking about all the overheard to accomplish their work, which includes sales & marketing, neither of which Social Security or Medicare has.
If a private pension/health insurance company wants to investigate fraud, they must employ fraud investigators. Or contract outside specialists. This can be very expensive. If CMS and SSA want to investigate fraud, they don’t need any fraud investigators on staff. They forward the info to the department of justice and the DOJ does the fraud investigation at zero cost and zero impact to the CMS/SSA budget.

If they want to prosecute fraud, civilly, they must employee their own legal staff. If CMS/SSA wants to do it they ask the US Attorney’s office to do it, at no charge to them.

When SSA wants to decide what to use for inflation rates, they don’t hire actuaries. They ask the Bureau of Labor Statistics and BLS does the work and bills it to the Department of Labor cost center. No charge to SSA.

You already mentioned sales and marketing. Since SSA is not an opt-in thing, we can say the IRS and DOJ employ investigators at their agencies budget expense to ensure people pay into it. This can be the closest equivalent to a marketing expense since both of these are costly ways that people get enrolled. But the SSA doesn’t pay a dime for their way of getting people enrolled.

When a private health insurance or pension company wants to open a new office, they must buy or lease land. If SSA/CMS wants to do it, well, they get free land from the federal government.

I’m sure people smarter than me can come up with more examples. But quite frankly, when the efficiency and cheapness of CMS and SSA are discussed, no one is factoring the costs to DOL, DOJ, BLS, FBI, IRS, NIH, etc that do work required for CMS and the SSA to operate.

Having seen the inner workings of some government agencies, I’d speculate that to do the same job as the private sector, it would cost triple for the government to do it. It’s just that we aren’t looking at the true budget.
You make some good points.

When it comes to Medicare it seems that one central way of processing information with ALL the same rules is going to be inherently more efficient than 1,000's (?) of different companies each coming up with their different methods of processing, none of them with the same economy of scale that Medicare has. Plus, on the medical provider side. They don't have to spend time negotiating with Medicare or having to learn how to process their claims as they have to do with innumerable insurance companies. IF medical providers were presented with the option of getting the same reimbursements from both Medicare and all the other insurance companies and had the choice or choosing all Medicare participants or all private insurance participants which would they chose? The one where all submissions for reimbursements are identical, e.g., same codes, same forms? Or, the one where they have to know 1,00o's (?0 of different codes and forms? How many less people would each medical provider need to process insurance claims if it was all Medicare-like (I guess I'm describing a single payer system?) compared to the present system?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

tomfoolery wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:30 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:20 pm [
When it comes to Medicare it seems that one central way of processing information with ALL the same rules is going to be inherently more efficient than 1,000's (?) of different companies each coming up with their different methods of processing, none of them with the same economy of scale that Medicare has. Plus, on the medical provider side. They don't have to spend time negotiating with Medicare or having to learn how to process their claims as they have to do with innumerable insurance companies. IF medical providers were presented with the option of getting the same reimbursements from both Medicare and all the other insurance companies and had the choice or choosing all Medicare participants or all private insurance participants which would they chose? The one where all submissions for reimbursements are identical, e.g., same codes, same forms? Or, the one where they have to know 1,00o's (?0 of different codes and forms? How many less people would each medical provider need to process insurance claims if it was all Medicare-like (I guess I'm describing a single payer system?) compared to the present system?

Vinny
I’m not an expert on medical billing but I’m the best we have here probably and from my limited experience it’s not as onerous as you make it out to be.

Everyone uses industry standard ICD diagnosis codes and CPT billing codes. CMS creates these codes and everyone uses them. All of the EMRs are configured with the same code set and are updated annually or as needed with an import.

It’s 2020 so there’s not forms anymore, it’s all just an extract of the digital EMR system and they all generally want the same stuff.

It’s been my experience CMS wants more documentation than private insurers and CMS has restrictions that don’t exist in private payors. For example, with CMS if you readmit a patient within 30 days for COPD, the hospital can’t bill for that readmission. CMS says you didn’t do a good enough job the first time. But the rule scope creeps and now the readmission includes bronchitis this year. So now hospitals can’t bill for a readmission for a similar but totally different lung problem. Why? No one knows, it’s what CMS said, and they make the rules and it favors CMS since it cuts money to hospitals.

What you probably didn’t know is there’s 50 different CMS’s since each state runs their own Medicaid program and CMS pays for half and the state pays for half so states make their own rules too. And they can be totally different state to state. Fun.

It’s not the bastion of efficiency politicians claim it is. Have politicians ever told the truth on anything before?
I was not at all basing my argument or assumptions on what I have ever heard from any politician. I was basing it on what my own experience and suppositions have been. You have swept away some of those suppositions.

Over a decade ago, for about five years I did all the accounting / financial reporting for a pediatrics group, including determining each month how much each doctor earned.

Since it was a pediatrics group there was zero Medicare involved. Maybe Medicaid? I'm sure MA Health.

We had two columns of income. The gross amount billed. Then the amount realized from the insurance companies. That latter was about 1/3 lower than the former.

I remember discussing with the practice's managing partner this vast discrepancy. He told he that it was all "funny" money. Meaning that the gross billings were all highly theoretical with the ultimate realized being upon what had been negotiated with each of the individual health insurance companies.

When I was referring to "forms" I was not referring to paper forms. I was referring to filling them out in whatever manner they get filled out. This particular practice, under the guidance of this particular managing partner, was way ahead of the rest of its competitors with all of its doctors using no paper but, instead, touch screen computers. We are talking early 2000's so well before the availability of iPads / tablets.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:35 pm Well, Tom already did an excellent job with the SS and Medicare topic, but somehow, the most important question of all never got addressed:
vnatale wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:11 pm
By the way....from observing the many women speaking at this rally....is it a good assumption that the vast majority of women with (dyed) blond hair are conservatives / Republicans?

Vinny
Yes, most likely. It's an even safer bet that the women with their hair dyed blue, green or purple are liberals to the far left of the spectrum.

Now here's a question for you: If you were going to look for one to date, which would you choose? :P
If I was MUCH younger I'd go for the latter. Far more likely to be be more unconventional and entertaining!

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:20 pm
If I was MUCH younger I'd go for the latter. Far more likely to be be more unconventional and entertaining!

Vinny
You're an honest man Vinny :)

I did the same when I was younger.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:49 pm pmward -

Charity does work, I have volunteered in many charitable capacities and grew up where there was considerably less government spending and people helped others during their hour of need whether they lost their job, their house/farm burnt down, or crop yield was low. Just because you are young and have been conditioned to rely on the government doesn't mean there wasn't a recent past where people and communities took care of each other.

Given the condescending tone of your posts I think it might be better to just agree to disagree.

Regards,
IG
First, I am not young, I and I do not rely on the government at all. I am very successful, but I did grow up in a very poor family. You are not listening to the words I say though. I did not say charity does no good, I said it doesn't fix the problems. Evidence can be seen to that effect all across the country every day of the week.d
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:25 pm
Maybe we have opened pandora's box and can't go back. My point was that in the not so distant past charities and communities took care of each other without government programs.
Where is evidence of this? Show me one point in time that the majority of the poor, sick, homeless, elderly, etc were taken care of by charity alone?