Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Twitter Files

Post by Jack Jones » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:08 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:23 am
> favorable to conservatives and libertarians

Oh no!
Where I'm from, the locals are terrified of libertarians. Democrats, Republicans, they can understand. Libertarians are a huge boogeyman for some reason.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 pm

Jack Jones wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:08 pm
boglerdude wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:23 am
> favorable to conservatives and libertarians

Oh no!
Where I'm from, the locals are terrified of libertarians. Democrats, Republicans, they can understand. Libertarians are a huge boogeyman for some reason.
Nobody likes libertarians. It is our lot in life.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:39 pm

Holy smoke, it's all broken wide open. There is absolutely no surviving this by the dems. They're done. Right now.
https://rumble.com/v27yyq2-joe-biden-is ... n&mc=6kk5f
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:47 pm

Maddy wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:39 pm
Holy smoke, it's all broken wide open. There is absolutely no surviving this by the dems. They're done. Right now.
Well... don't get yourself too invested in potential outcomes.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:16 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:47 pm
Maddy wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:39 pm
Well... don't get yourself too invested in potential outcomes.
Especially when you consider who controls the majority of what is told to the masses. And the masses who don't give a crap about right, wrong, or the shady pols, e.g. the masses who only care about unicorns and rainbows. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:40 pm

So after three weeks of debate over whether to search Pence's home, they finally decide to do it. And after three weeks of notice, they find classified documents.

This is getting absurd.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:14 pm

Maddy wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:40 pm
So after three weeks of debate over whether to search Pence's home, they finally decide to do it. And after three weeks of notice, they find classified documents.

This is getting absurd.

Maybe they should just search the homes of everyone who's ever had access to classified documents. So far there's a 100% hit rate.

Can't they be fitted with some kind of radio tag or some such?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:17 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:14 pm

Maddy wrote:

This is getting absurd.

Maybe they should just search the homes of everyone who's ever had access to classified documents. So far there's a 100% hit rate.

Or, maybe first there should be a grand review of what should be "classified"? I think I've read more opinion that too much is classified and none that there is not enough. Perhaps the default is to just declare it classified?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:21 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:17 pm
Xan wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:14 pm
Maddy wrote:

This is getting absurd.

Or, maybe first there should be a grand review of what should be "classified"? I think I've read more opinion that too much is classified and none that there is not enough. Perhaps the default is to just declare it classified?

Maybe so, but that seems like an orthogonal question to whether or not people are mishandling documents that are classified.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:44 am

Ambitious media frauds Stephen Glass and Jayson Blair crippled the reputations of the New Republic and New York Times, respectively, by slipping years of invented news stories into their pages. Thanks to the Twitter Files, we can welcome a new member to their infamous club: Hamilton 68.

If one goes by volume alone, this oft-cited neoliberal think-tank that spawned hundreds of fraudulent headlines and TV news segments may go down as the single greatest case of media fabulism in American history. Virtually every major news organization in America is implicated, including NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times and the Washington Post. Mother Jones alone did at least 14 stories pegged to the group’s “research.” Even fact-checking sites like Politifact and Snopes cited Hamilton 68 as a source.

Hamilton 68 was and is a computerized “dashboard” designed to be used by reporters and academics to measure “Russian disinformation.” link
This was not faulty science. It was a scam. Instead of tracking how “Russia” influenced American attitudes, Hamilton 68 simply collected a handful of mostly real, mostly American accounts, and described their organic conversations as Russian scheming. As Roth put it, “Virtually any conclusion drawn from [the dashboard] will take conversations in conservative circles on Twitter and accuse them of being Russian.”
Even at Twitter, where there were basically no open conservatives in the email record, it was recognized that Hamilton 68 (and at least two other research institutes using similar methodology) were simply taking organic Trumpish chatter and describing it as Russian scheming.

The site “falsely accuses a bunch of legitimate right-leaning accounts of being Russian bots,” as Roth put it, getting “traction around partisan trends, to assert that any right-leaning content is propagated by Russian bots.”
. . .
News organizations had fallen in love with a new trick: research institute makes invented bot claims, reporters toss said claims at hated targets like Devin Nunes or Tulsi Gabbard, headlines flow. The scam needed just three elements: credentials of someone like “former FBI agent” Watts, the absence of any semblance of fact-checking, and the silence of companies like Twitter.
That last bit will be familiar to anyone who's read Ryan Holiday's book Trust Me I'm Lying, or heard Tim Pool explain how news media intentionally lies.

I think I pulled out the money quotes, but everyone will probably want to read the whole thing for context.

It's obvious why the Democrats were so hostile to Matt Taibbi during the recent congressional hearings. The "Russian bots" reporting and worldview has been a pillar of Democrat (and quisling Republican) strategy for years. And now people can learn that it was fraudulent? Very threatening. It might take a while for this knowledge to percolate through (it will definitely be fought by corporate media/Democratic Party), but I think eventually most people will come to grips with it.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:50 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:44 am
It might take a while for this knowledge to percolate through (it will definitely be fought by corporate media/Democratic Party), but I think eventually most people will come to grips with it.
In what timeframe? Reminds me of the saying “markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent”. At some point it no longer matters. Seems like there’s a lot of that going around these days.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 am

First, I can't estimate a timeframe, I just think it will happen because historically it's largely been the case.

Second, I don't think that saying is the correct mental model to use. "Markets can remain irrational," is to "people can believe a lie" is right, but "...longer than you can remain solvent" doesn't have a parallel, because it's inherently good to know when people are lying to you.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:39 am

What I was trying to say is that if enough people believe the lies for enough time, the damage is done and at some point it's too late to undo it. The narrative engineers know this. They don't care, they don't admit fault, they're not ashamed, they just move on to the next false narrative. Some people know that the liars are lying, but what are they gonna do about it?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:26 pm

A big chunk of the left knows everyone is lying, and they are OK with it because ends justify means. Dems offer utopia through wealth redistribution, conservatives (only a few) point out that economics is trade-offs, and the kids aren't tryna' hear that

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1637052668991401987