Hunter Biden

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Hunter Biden

Post by I Shrugged » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:19 pm

So now the establishment lapdog press is telling us about Hunter’s apparent misdeeds.

Okay in late 2020 I said this would happen when they decided it was time for Joe to go. This could be the beginning of making sure he doesn’t run next time. Let’s see.

I’m not much into conspiracies but this one seemed likely. Why else, why now, when they’ve suppressed the story for so long? You can’t tell me they finally learned something new that changed their minds about the laptop. Come on.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Hunter Biden

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:32 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:19 pm

So now the establishment lapdog press is telling us about Hunter’s apparent misdeeds.

Okay in late 2020 I said this would happen when they decided it was time for Joe to go. This could be the beginning of making sure he doesn’t run next time. Let’s see.

I’m not much into conspiracies but this one seemed likely. Why else, why now, when they’ve suppressed the story for so long? You can’t tell me they finally learned something new that changed their minds about the laptop. Come on.

Where is this being reported? The wikipedia entry does not seem to have a current update.

It did have this as its conclusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Bi ... ontroversy

Other press outlets
The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal stated that they could not independently verify the data provided by the New York Post.[22] NBC News requested a copy of the hard drive from Giuliani, who told them that he would not provide one; they said Giuliani offered them copies of a small number of emails but would not give them the full set.[84] In May 2022, NBC News published an analysis of a copy of the hard drive they received from Giuliani and documents released by Republicans on two Senate committees. The analysis found that Biden's firm took in $11 million from 2013 to 2018 and spent the money fast. The analysis also found that few of Biden's deals ever came to fruition.[50]

David Folkenflik of NPR observed that the New York Post story asserted as facts things it presumed to be true. He also noted that the credited lead author of the story, deputy political editor Emma-Jo Morris, had virtually no previous bylines in reporting, and her most significant prior employment was a nearly four-year position as a producer on Sean Hannity's Fox News program. Hannity, a close Trump advisor, has repeatedly suggested wrongdoing by Biden in Ukraine.[21]

Vanity Fair observed the story had exposed an ongoing journalistic "cold war" within Rupert Murdoch's media empire, which includes The New York Post, Fox News, and The Wall Street Journal. In particular, it described an internal rift over coverage by the Journal which published an opinion article by conservative columnist Kimberley Strassel inflating the claims, only to have the news section publish an article which "swept the legs out from under their Opinion colleague's argument" four hours later. Ryan Lizza, reporter for Politico, was quoted as saying "reporters at the WSJ, Fox News, and NYP have all come to the same conclusion about these documents but they are being drowned out by bad faith activists on the opinion side at these Murdoch companies who favor Trump's re-election."[85]

In April 2022, the Editorial Board of The Washington Post wrote the Biden laptop story provided "an opportunity for a reckoning" by American media to ensure "accurate and relevant" stories are covered. They noted that:

"The investigation adds new details and confirms old ones about the ways in which Joe Biden's family has profited from trading overseas on his name — something for which the president deserves criticism for tacitly condoning. What it does not do, despite some conservatives' insistence otherwise, is prove that President Biden acted corruptly."[86]

Joan Donovan, the research director of the Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics, and Public Policy at Harvard University, said that "This is arguably the most well-known story the New York Post has ever published and it endures as a story because it was initially suppressed by social media companies and jeered by politicians and pundits alike".[79]
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:41 pm

Is an encyclopedia the place to go for current events?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:24 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:41 pm

Is an encyclopedia the place to go for current events?

In the case of Wikipedia, yes.

For sports activities I've seen an entry get revised within an hour of a subsequent event occurring.

From 2020: "They have over 300,000 active users who can post content"

We used to have a Wikipedia active contributor person here? But then didn't he ask you to do the atom bomb thing on him wherein all traces of him go away?

But I've now reached a point wherein I can go to Twitter for the first time today and I will see what it has to say about Hunter Biden.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:48 pm

After going through a lot of tweets had seen only one related to Hunter Biden until this one. I did, though, see a lot of complaining about a football game being played tonight.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63166809

Hunter Biden could be charged with tax crimes

I've never followed this that closely but it would not surprise me to find him guilty as accused.

However, as much as I intensely dislike Father Biden has anything been linked / proven that he somehow also profited off the sins of Son Biden?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:12 am

My cynical hot take on this:

It's actually a coverup to protect Joe Biden. The DOJ will limit the investigation to Hunter, charge him with something relatively minor, proclaim "case closed", and declare any objections as thoroughly debunked wild conspiracy theories. That way they get to say it's been dealt with and it allows them to claim equal justice in their continued pursuit of anything remotely related to Trump or MAGA, etc.

But I could be wrong. ;D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:45 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:12 am

It's actually a coverup to protect Joe Biden. The DOJ will limit the investigation to Hunter, charge him with something relatively minor, proclaim "case closed", and declare any objections as thoroughly debunked wild conspiracy theories. That way they get to say it's been dealt with and it allows them to claim equal justice in their continued pursuit of anything remotely related to Trump or MAGA, etc.

But I could be wrong. ;D

I heard today that it is a Trump appointee who is making the decision regarding Hunter Biden?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:16 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:45 pm
flyingpylon wrote:

But I could be wrong. ;D
I heard today that it is a Trump appointee who is making the decision regarding Hunter Biden?
I have no idea but if you think it matters you might be stuck in a false dichotomy.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:35 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:16 pm

vnatale wrote:

flyingpylon wrote:

But I could be wrong. ;D

I have no idea but if you think it matters you might be stuck in a false dichotomy.

Would you respond the same regarding Trump appointees to the Supreme Court?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:34 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:35 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:16 pm
vnatale wrote:
flyingpylon wrote:

But I could be wrong. ;D
Would you respond the same regarding Trump appointees to the Supreme Court?
Yes. For positions where confirmation was required, Trump was forced to appoint people approved by The Regime (or whatever you choose to call it, made up of establishment D & R). I doubt the justices appointed by Trump feel any obligation or allegiance to him or the political movement he represents. Nor should they, they're simply supposed to interpret the laws.

When I made my previous off-the-cuff comment, I assumed you were framing this as D vs R because you often do that. But perhaps that was an error on my part.

More and more, I think D vs R is an obsolete way of looking at things. Politics are messy right now, but a case can be made that it's The Regime vs average Americans. The Regime will do whatever is necessary to retain power, hence the reason they tried to dismiss the Hunter Biden information before the 2020 election by calling it "Russian disinformation" and why they've gone after someone like Trump with such ferocity.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:32 am

According to these studies, things are not looking very good for a "United" States. Here a couple of quotes that are disturbing (see links for more details). The Hunter Biden situation just adds more fuel to the fire.

Half of Americans expect to see a second U.S. civil war within years and nearly a fifth say they could one day be toting guns at a political face-off themselves, according to an alarming new study about the nation’s deepening divisions.

Researchers at University of California, Davis uncovered worrying levels of ‘alienation’, ‘mistrust’ and a growing tendency to turn to violence in their recently-conducted survey of 8,620 adults across the country.

More than two-thirds of respondents said they saw a ‘serious threat to our democracy’ and 50.1 percent agreed with the statement that ‘in the next few years, there will be civil war in the U.S.’

More than 40 percent said having a ‘strong leader’ was more important than democracy and that ‘native-born white people are being replaced by immigrants’ — a racist belief known as the ‘great replacement theory’.

Researchers also uncovered a growing inclination to settle political rows with violence.

Nearly a fifth of respondents said it was likely they would be ‘armed with a gun’ at a political flash point in the coming years, while 4 percent said it was likely they would ‘shoot someone with a gun’.

https://uchicagopolitics.opalstacked.co ... opline.pdf

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... itics.html
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:07 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:32 am

According to these studies, things are not looking very good for a "United" States. Here a couple of quotes that are disturbing (see links for more details). The Hunter Biden situation just adds more fuel to the fire.

1) Half of Americans expect to see a second U.S. civil war within years and 2) nearly a fifth say they could one day be toting guns at a political face-off themselves, according to an alarming new study about the nation’s deepening divisions.

Researchers at University of California, Davis uncovered 3) worrying levels of ‘alienation’, ‘mistrust’ and a 4) growing tendency to turn to violence in their recently-conducted survey of 8,620 adults across the country.

5) More than two-thirds of respondents said they saw a ‘serious threat to our democracy’ and 6) 50.1 percent agreed with the statement that ‘in the next few years, there will be civil war in the U.S.’

7) More than 40 percent said having a ‘strong leader’ was more important than democracy and 8)vthat ‘native-born white people are being replaced by immigrants’ — a racist belief known as the ‘great replacement theory’.

9) Researchers also uncovered a growing inclination to settle political rows with violence.

10) Nearly a fifth of respondents said it was likely they would be ‘armed with a gun’ at a political flash point in the coming years, 11) while 4 percent said it was likely they would ‘shoot someone with a gun’.

You cited these but did not give your opinion on any of them. I numbered each of them. I invite you and others here to give their opinions on each as I will.

1) ZERO probability!
2) Not me but could see the Trumpists composing this 20%
3) alienation and mistrust of what?
4) Maybe more than we have recently experienced. Maybe. But far, far, far less than there has been in American history.
5) What is this "serious threat to democracy"?
6) Same as #1 so, again, ZERO probability
7) About the same as voted for Trump. But this presumes all those who did not vote at all share proportionately the same opinions as actual voters.
8) Same reason why they did not want people of our many nationalities to come to this country. It was not too popular to allow Italians to come into this country. During my lifetime there was still a persistence in the South of viewing Italians as being as bad as Blacks.
9) What is the amount of this "growing"? A 0.1% increase is "growing".
10) Same as #2
11) 4% is quite low but totally believable. 4% might be too low.

I think too many people's views are affected by what they see on television.

I remember a friend telling me I was crazy for not thinking things were getting worse in this world. I asked him for his basis for believing that. He cited what he saw on the news each night, which, of course, is going to show all the outliers / sensational that occur each day.

Almost all real stats, i.e., facts show that the world is constantly getting better. But that story does not fit certain world views / ideologies.

How do these world views / ideologies accommodate a fact such as the following?

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/ ... verty.html

Expansions to Child Tax Credit Contributed to 46% Decline in Child Poverty Since 2020
September 13, 2022

Child poverty, calculated by the Supplemental Poverty Measure (SPM), fell to its lowest recorded level in 2021, declining 46% from 9.7% in 2020 to 5.2% in 2021, according to U.S. Census Bureau data released today.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:55 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:07 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:32 am

1) Half of Americans expect to see a second U.S. civil war within years and 2) nearly a fifth say they could one day be toting guns at a political face-off themselves, according to an alarming new study about the nation’s deepening divisions.

Researchers at University of California, Davis uncovered 3) worrying levels of ‘alienation’, ‘mistrust’ and a 4) growing tendency to turn to violence in their recently-conducted survey of 8,620 adults across the country.

5) More than two-thirds of respondents said they saw a ‘serious threat to our democracy’ and 6) 50.1 percent agreed with the statement that ‘in the next few years, there will be civil war in the U.S.’

7) More than 40 percent said having a ‘strong leader’ was more important than democracy and 8)vthat ‘native-born white people are being replaced by immigrants’ — a racist belief known as the ‘great replacement theory’.

9) Researchers also uncovered a growing inclination to settle political rows with violence.

10) Nearly a fifth of respondents said it was likely they would be ‘armed with a gun’ at a political flash point in the coming years, 11) while 4 percent said it was likely they would ‘shoot someone with a gun’.

You cited these but did not give your opinion on any of them. I numbered each of them. I invite you and others here to give their opinions on each as I will.

1) ZERO probability!
2) Not me but could see the Trumpists composing this 20%
3) alienation and mistrust of what?
4) Maybe more than we have recently experienced. Maybe. But far, far, far less than there has been in American history.
5) What is this "serious threat to democracy"?
6) Same as #1 so, again, ZERO probability
7) About the same as voted for Trump. But this presumes all those who did not vote at all share proportionately the same opinions as actual voters.
8) Same reason why they did not want people of our many nationalities to come to this country. It was not too popular to allow Italians to come into this country. During my lifetime there was still a persistence in the South of viewing Italians as being as bad as Blacks.
9) What is the amount of this "growing"? A 0.1% increase is "growing".
10) Same as #2
11) 4% is quite low but totally believable. 4% might be too low.

I remember a friend telling me I was crazy for not thinking things were getting worse in this world. I asked him for his basis for believing that. He cited what he saw on the news each night, which, of course, is going to show all the outliers / sensational that occur each day.

Almost all real stats, i.e., facts show that the world is constantly getting better. But that story does not fit certain world views / ideologies.

How do these world views / ideologies accommodate a fact such as the following?

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/ ... verty.html

Expansions to Child Tax Credit Contributed to 46% Decline in Child Poverty Since 2020
September 13, 2022

Child poverty, calculated by the Supplemental Poverty Measure (SPM), fell to its lowest recorded level in 2021, declining 46% from 9.7% in 2020 to 5.2% in 2021, according to U.S. Census Bureau data released today.

Re. bolded items above. This is exactly why I did not give my opinion on these two studies. Let the readers form their own opinions. I would add that too many people's views are also influenced by what they see on the internet.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:05 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
I agree, with the observation that any charge other than influence peddling by the then-Vice President is a diversion.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:02 pm

flyingpylon wrote:

But I could be wrong. ;D

Implicit in this you are saying the the Department of Justice from January 20, 2017 to January 20, 2021 ... even though it consisted of all Trump employees .... that did not matter? That all his appointees during that time period bowed down to the wishes of "The Regime"? If we stipulate that .... what is "The Regime's" agenda. Now I'm remembering .... it is a combination establishment Republican / Democrat who was specially out to get Trump because he was not establishment? Am I correctly interpreting what you have stated and believe?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:32 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:02 pm
flyingpylon wrote:

But I could be wrong. ;D
Implicit in this you are saying the the Department of Justice from January 20, 2017 to January 20, 2021 ... even though it consisted of all Trump employees .... that did not matter? That all his appointees during that time period bowed down to the wishes of "The Regime"? If we stipulate that .... what is "The Regime's" agenda. Now I'm remembering .... it is a combination establishment Republican / Democrat who was specially out to get Trump because he was not establishment? Am I correctly interpreting what you have stated and believe?
Surely you don’t really think that the DOJ consisted of “all Trump employees” during his administration, right?

The Regime’s agenda is to gain and maintain power, and to profit from it. Trump and other outsiders (Bernie, etc.) are a threat to their way of life.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:51 pm

Surely you don’t really think that the DOJ consisted of “all Trump employees” during his administration, right?
If there was anything that defined the Trump presidency, it was the unprecedented extent to which Obama loyalists within not only the DOJ, but within virtually every department within the executive branch, conspired to undermine Trump's authority and to obstruct the carrying out of his policies at every turn.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:58 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:32 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:02 pm

flyingpylon wrote:

But I could be wrong. ;D

The Regime’s agenda is to gain and maintain power, and to profit from it. Trump and other outsiders (Bernie, etc.) are a threat to their way of life.

No one is a Trump employee since they are all government employees. I miswrote "employee" when I meant to write "appointee". I'm sure there are lots of holdovers from the Obama administration in the lower levels of the department.

However take a look of all the Trump appointees on the higher level (unless this is not to be believe due to Wikipedia's alleged left leanings):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... nald_Trump

If what you assert above is true then that means that "The Regime" runs its agenda by the workings of the lower levels of the Justice Department and all those people above them who Trump appointed have ZERO control over what all those people do?

I'm willing to believe anything if it has logical consistency behind it. I don't see that as being the case here.

I do believe that our large corporations do run a lot of our government but not in a concerted way. Just like in capitalism each organization generally does what is best for the organization itself. I don't think that Google / Apple / Microsoft / Facebook / Amazon all meet together as part of The Regime so as to then dictate to those in the government what they collectively want done. Instead, I think it is each of those organizations individually that try to bend government's actions so as to benefit their organization (which can sometimes be to the detriment of the other organizations that I just named).
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:38 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:58 pm
Instead, I think it is each of those organizations individually that try to bend government's actions so as to benefit their organization . . .
What benefits an organization has everything to do with the particular incentives and disincentives that are passed down from above--and by "above" I mean those who are really in charge. I would have doubted--at least in an immediate cause-and-effect sense--how effective the carrot and stick could be, but having witnessed the wave of nearly kneejerk compliance that, over the last three years, has turned independently-minded business people into government lackeys, one realizes the extent of the economic control grid. ESG, anyone?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:53 pm

If your business (esp universities) want government bailouts to survive the next lockdown or other "crisis", you'll have to do what gov "suggests". There's a term for the sort of economic system this leads too...

Who knows what the reality is with Trump. He enriches his family first like everyone. Increased military spending and wanted more money printing. He did appear to slow the DNC/CCP agenda. When the Left slanders DeSantis with equal fanatical intolerance, we'll know Trump wasnt important.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:04 am

vnatale wrote:

Thank you!!!!

Another example is crime. Violent crime has been on a steady decline since the early 90s. Today, the national crime rate is about half of what it was at its height in 1991. Violent crime has fallen by 51 percent since 1991, and property crime by 43 percent. But yet at any point in time if you asked the average American they would have told you crime is worse than ever before.

I have reached my limit of arguing with people who are just convinced that life today is the worst/hardest it has ever been. Even if I bring up things like oh having to send your children or parents to fight in a world war or things that used to be common place (example might be plane crashes or plane hijackings to Cuba) never, ever happen any longer. But I am met with some general comment like "well yes but the earth is burning up due to climate change."

It might be funny if that sort of viewpoint didn't lead to overreaction focus and legislation on things that are not nearly as prevalent as they seem. It would be fascinating to see the change in society if nobody had access to any media for a year. Ironically people's perception of life and their overreactions and general poor education about risk assessment is the exact thing that would make me pessimistic about the future!
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:21 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:04 am
vnatale wrote:

Thank you!!!!

Another example is crime. Violent crime has been on a steady decline since the early 90s. Today, the national crime rate is about half of what it was at its height in 1991. Violent crime has fallen by 51 percent since 1991, and property crime by 43 percent. But yet at any point in time if you asked the average American they would have told you crime is worse than ever before.

I have reached my limit of arguing with people who are just convinced that life today is the worst/hardest it has ever been. Even if I bring up things like oh having to send your children or parents to fight in a world war or things that used to be common place (example might be plane crashes or plane hijackings to Cuba) never, ever happen any longer. But I am met with some general comment like "well yes but the earth is burning up due to climate change."

It might be funny if that sort of viewpoint didn't lead to overreaction focus and legislation on things that are not nearly as prevalent as they seem. It would be fascinating to see the change in society if nobody had access to any media for a year. Ironically people's perception of life and their overreactions and general poor education about risk assessment is the exact thing that would make me pessimistic about the future!
The world war example is interesting because it seems mostly due to the existence of nuclear weapons. However, having nuclear weapons pointed at each other is a tail risk event waiting to happen. When it finally happens, it will seem obvious in retrospect. One mistake or one lunatic with the codes is all it takes.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:34 am

Just jumping a bit on the Hunter Biden thing. I can’t fully understand why influence peddling to the tune of a few million dollars is causing everyone to clutch their pearls in shock. Jared Kushner and Ivanka did that in spades out in the open. Everyone does that. It’s how the world works, unfortunately. I could be off on this. Happy to hear why.

Also on the topic of the world getting better. I am reading a book called Factfulness. It’s about this exact topic with lots of charts on how the world is improving significantly.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:47 am

World's getting better by every metric. Except increasingly powerful tech in the hands of oligarchs...will they use it to benefit us or them

https://old.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/com ... ate_where/

ofc your money will get shut off if you dont get your annual jabs etc
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:40 am

ppnewbie wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:34 am

Just jumping a bit on the Hunter Biden thing. I can’t fully understand why influence peddling to the tune of a few million dollars is causing everyone to clutch their pearls in shock. Jared Kushner and Ivanka did that in spades out in the open. Everyone does that. It’s how the world works, unfortunately. I could be off on this. Happy to hear why.

Also on the topic of the world getting better. I am reading a book called Factfulness. It’s about this exact topic with lots of charts on how the world is improving significantly.

Yes. Read that excellent book. Presents a totally different picture than what one would gather from watching the daily news, listening to politicians, the handwringers, and others pushing an opposite story.