You Voted for This, Because 'Mean Tweets'?

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: You Voted for This, Because 'Mean Tweets'?

Post by glennds » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:06 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:23 am

Cheryl Benard's article, I've Worked with Refugees for Decades. Europe's Afghan Crime Wave Is Mind-Boggling, should be required reading. She is the wife of the former ambassador to Afghanistan, Iraq, and UN.
Very interesting, and disturbing article. It's hard for me to know whether it was written with some shock value by intention, or whether it is just an objective representation of frightening facts. Probably somewhere in the middle.
It seems that young men have always been and continue to be the feed stock of the jihadi movement. You have to wonder whether the refugee diaspora will ultimately turn out to be nothing more than a highway network for legal export of terror cells.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:26 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:23 am

Cheryl Benard's article, I've Worked with Refugees for Decades. Europe's Afghan Crime Wave Is Mind-Boggling, should be required reading. She is the wife of the former ambassador to Afghanistan, Iraq, and UN.
On a related note, as you mention, the author's husband, Zalmay Khalizad and what he knows is probably quite a story in itself. His fingerprints are all over the withdrawal agreement hence they are all over the situation as it unfolds. He is a remarkably connected person, having served in various capacities in the Bush, Obama, Trump and Biden administrations, and an ethnic Pashtun himself.

It's difficult to know whether what is happening today in Afghanistan could be any combination of the following:

1. Inevitable hence nobody's "fault" per se, assuming you agree it was right to go there in the first place

2. Trump's fault for setting up a deal that was basically a complete surrender on Taliban terms, and one that excluded the Afghan government completely thus guaranteeing their isolation and collapse (which may have been predestined anyway)

3. Khalizad's fault for possibly functioning as a Taliban representative in US Envoy clothes the whole time, and duping Trump attention span was limited and whose concern was mainly consumed with re-election optics

4. Trump's fault for public statements assuring withdrawal which basically undermined anything Khalizad was trying to negotiate since Trump was now promising the public that he was going to give the Taliban what they wanted anyway so why would they trade any concessions?

5. Biden's fault for accepting Trump's deal and then executing it as incompetently as possible.

6. Biden's fault for possibly checking out and never engaging in Afghanistan post inauguration at all

7. Biden's fault for disregarding the advice of the military and/or intelligence community and making the decisions himself

8. The fault of the Afghani people for being hopelessly directionless and completely unwilling to meaningfully resist the Taliban themselves

There are undoubtedly other possibilities. The exact combination of root causes is really not possible for an average citizen to discern. It's complicated. Deep in TLdr territory
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:04 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:06 pm
It seems that young men have always been and continue to be the feed stock of the jihadi movement. You have to wonder whether the refugee diaspora will ultimately turn out to be nothing more than a highway network for legal export of terror cells.
What you're talking about is the current reality. Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Britain are already terrorist and Islamist hotbeds. Remember, the 9/11 terrorists were based from Hamburg.
And as for him who lacks the courage to defend even his own soul: Let him not brag of his progressive views, boast of his status as an academician or a recognized artist, a distinguished citizen or general. Let him say to himself plainly: I am cattle, I am a coward, I seek only warmth and to eat my fill.
Solzhenitsyn, Live Not By Lies
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:45 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:04 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:06 pm

What you're talking about is the current reality. Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Britain are already terrorist and Islamist hotbeds. Remember, the 9/11 terrorists were based from Hamburg.

Hamburg? Not Saudi Arabians? Or they were Saudi Arabians living in Hamburg?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tomfoolery » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:19 pm

The best part of voting out the Orange buffoon is that I’m now free to travel internationally without feeling foreigners judging me for tweets made by my president.
✊🏾Black✊🏾Lives✊🏾Matter✊🏾
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:46 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:19 pm
The best part of voting out the Orange buffoon is that I’m now free to travel internationally without feeling foreigners judging me for tweets made by my president.
True! Now you can instead be judged by foreigners who laugh that this is the best candidate the Dems could come up with.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 pm

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:08 pm

Like the cartoon Benko :D
Reminds me of the old Citizen Kang video
https://vimeo.com/170239963
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:43 pm

Maybe Joe Biden is the great unifier, unifying the unlikely.

Freedom lovers unite.

Rap music and nascar have come together.

https://youtu.be/qr_F_XQrukM