Are we turning into North Korea?

Post Reply
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by pp4me » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:10 pm

I'm posting this at Maddy's urging for people to post more things for thoughtful discussion.

This article is on FoxNews ..... https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-korean ... eague-nuts

It's about a woman who escaped from North Korea, even having to cross the Gobi desert on the way. She somehow made it to America and enrolled in an Ivy league school where she was shocked to discover that it was an even more of an intellectual prison than anything she experienced in North Korea.

I've been hearing this a lot from people who have immigrated from former Marxist/socialist countries, or at least those who are heading in that direction. The tearing down of statues, rewriting of history, being cancelled for simply using the wrong words, etcetera, leaves them feeling like they've seen this movie before.

That isn't exactly the subject I am presenting for thoughtful discussion however. What I am really thinking about is the extent to which Americans live in two different versions of reality.

How many of you would simply not click on that link because it was on FoxNews, and even worse that she was on Tucker Carlson?

Just like I have gotten to the point where I don't listen to anything on CNN or MSNBC because it's "fake news".

So here we are with a president who says the biggest threat we are facing in America, is not ISIS or Al Qaida but "White supremacy".

I don't know any "white supremacists" although according to some folks I must be one since I don't think they even exist, at least to the extent that Joe Biden and friends think. I also don't know any Muslim terrorists or Marxists infiltrating all of our educational institutions. I just read articles on the internet, watch TV to see what's going on and go to the polls and vote.

So I guess the thread I'm trying to start is how do you know what is REAL and what is propaganda nowadays? Seems like a very important question. How long can two different versions of reality co-exist?
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by l82start » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:30 pm

i would say it is reasonably safe to assume that it is ALL propaganda....

it will last until people realize that splitting into tribal group's is the problem, and seeing/being individuals is the solution...

but you know that might take some effort so.... its that "other groups" fault we are miserable and headed toward tyranny...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6208
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:17 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:10 pm

I'm posting this at Maddy's urging for people to post more things for thoughtful discussion.

This article is on FoxNews ..... https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-korean ... eague-nuts

It's about a woman who escaped from North Korea, even having to cross the Gobi desert on the way. She somehow made it to America and enrolled in an Ivy league school where she was shocked to discover that it was an even more of an intellectual prison than anything she experienced in North Korea.

I've been hearing this a lot from people who have immigrated from former Marxist/socialist countries, or at least those who are heading in that direction. The tearing down of statues, rewriting of history, being cancelled for simply using the wrong words, etcetera, leaves them feeling like they've seen this movie before.

That isn't exactly the subject I am presenting for thoughtful discussion however. What I am really thinking about is the extent to which Americans live in two different versions of reality.

How many of you would simply not click on that link because it was on FoxNews, and even worse that she was on Tucker Carlson?

Just like I have gotten to the point where I don't listen to anything on CNN or MSNBC because it's "fake news".

So here we are with a president who says the biggest threat we are facing in America, is not ISIS or Al Qaida but "White supremacy".

I don't know any "white supremacists" although according to some folks I must be one since I don't think they even exist, at least to the extent that Joe Biden and friends think. I also don't know any Muslim terrorists or Marxists infiltrating all of our educational institutions. I just read articles on the internet, watch TV to see what's going on and go to the polls and vote.

So I guess the thread I'm trying to start is how do you know what is REAL and what is propaganda nowadays? Seems like a very important question. How long can two different versions of reality co-exist?


Watch C-Span and get it direct from the source rather than just selected, truncated versions.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by tomfoolery » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:42 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:10 pm

I don't know any "white supremacists" although according to some folks I must be one since I don't think they even exist, at least to the extent that Joe Biden and friends think.
Have you checked your white privilege? When was the last time you turned down a job offer or job advancement so a person of color could take the job instead? Did you turn down a college acceptance so a person of color on the waiting list could instead get in?

You started life on third base. People of color in America start in the dugout, with a bum knee.

I can hear the snickering now. “Oh so, I’m a white supremacist if I don’t bend over and allow a black person to have her way with my buttocks?”

The problem with definitions is they are hazy. To some, you’re only a white supremacist if you string up negros who are uppity. But what if you live in a house paid for with a down payment from your parents, who were able to save up enough to gift their children because their grandparents did the same for them. And your great grandparents owned slaves on a plantation. So your house was paid for with the blood, sweat and bodily fluids of the great grand parents of the black person you didn’t step aside to let get the job promotion over you.

And that person is a hard working black, he took out student loans, worked though college, still rents because his parents didn’t bestow generational slave money on him. They had nothing because your great grand parents didn’t allow it.

So, you don’t know any white supremacists you claim, have you really thought about that word? Because if you check your privilege you might know more than you think.
💉P💉R💉I 💉D💉E💉
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:40 am
Contact:

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by boglerdude » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:12 am

Yes, China is buying the US/Canada/Australia and bringing their social credit system and lockdowns/house arrests with them.

Move to FL/TX
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:56 pm

Relevant video from Tim Pool: Biden Admin Calls On People To SNITCH On Family As War On Terror Targets "Patriotic" Americans.

Glenn Greenwald wrote an article recently about the same thing, The New Domestic War On Terror Has Already Begun.

Looks like it's starting.
"You haven't, I suppose, ever mixed with politicians at close quarters. They're awful. I think some of these must have been the dregs anyhow, but I've discovered, what previously I didn't believe possible, that politicians behave in private life and say exactly the same things as they do in public. Their stupidity is inhuman.
- John Maynard Keynes
User avatar
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by pp4me » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:41 pm

l82start wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:30 pm
i would say it is reasonably safe to assume that it is ALL propaganda....

it will last until people realize that splitting into tribal group's is the problem, and seeing/being individuals is the solution...

but you know that might take some effort so.... its that "other groups" fault we are miserable and headed toward tyranny...
Yes, it is ALL propaganda to varying degrees. I was listening to a Scott Adams podcast in which he pointed out that when the Republicans are running the show fake news comes from the left. When Democrats are in control, as they are now, it comes from the right. Never really thought of it that way since the vast majority of news comes from the left but I've been seeing his point lately.

I don't see FoxNews propagating complete falsehoods that turn out to be exactly that when CNN and MSNBC do it but they do have their biases.
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by l82start » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:38 pm

pp4me wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:41 pm
l82start wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:30 pm
i would say it is reasonably safe to assume that it is ALL propaganda....

it will last until people realize that splitting into tribal group's is the problem, and seeing/being individuals is the solution...

but you know that might take some effort so.... its that "other groups" fault we are miserable and headed toward tyranny...
Yes, it is ALL propaganda to varying degrees. I was listening to a Scott Adams podcast in which he pointed out that when the Republicans are running the show fake news comes from the left. When Democrats are in control, as they are now, it comes from the right. Never really thought of it that way since the vast majority of news comes from the left but I've been seeing his point lately.

I don't see FoxNews propagating complete falsehoods that turn out to be exactly that when CNN and MSNBC do it but they do have their biases.
Pretty much all of the language used by either side is a sophisticated use of psychological manipulation, if you view all of it (except for the who, what, where, and when) as if it is a hypnotism act being preformed on an audience, the true nature of media becomes far more obvious. Even accurately reporting the who, what, where, and when, has been chucked in favor of "narrative" in many cases...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 956
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 am

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by SomeDude » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:32 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:56 pm
Relevant video from Tim Pool: Biden Admin Calls On People To SNITCH On Family As War On Terror Targets "Patriotic" Americans.

Glenn Greenwald wrote an article recently about the same thing, The New Domestic War On Terror Has Already Begun.

Looks like it's starting.
I had relations with a few Korean ladies while stationed in the pacific theater 20 years.

We should be so lucky KS..........
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Are we turning into North Korea?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:48 pm

That makes a lot of sense, the Asian Persuasion runs hot among the forumites.
"You haven't, I suppose, ever mixed with politicians at close quarters. They're awful. I think some of these must have been the dregs anyhow, but I've discovered, what previously I didn't believe possible, that politicians behave in private life and say exactly the same things as they do in public. Their stupidity is inhuman.
- John Maynard Keynes
Post Reply