BYND

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: BYND

Post by pmward » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:58 pm

Well I think now is a great time to short BYND. We have an investing channel at work, and a bunch of people were talking about how they were buying shares today. When the general lay population starts buying something because of FOMO, it's time to short. People in this channel were also all about Bitcoin in early 2018, and the Chinese media IPO's and pot stocks last year at right about the peak. Every individual thing I've ever seen people talk about in this channel has all plummeted shortly thereafter, haha.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:39 am

We're a long way from the point where there arent enough grazing animals.
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comm ... levels_of/

The avocado version is the same price as w/out =)
https://www.deltaco.com/beyond
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:54 am

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:39 am
We're a long way from the point where there arent enough grazing animals.
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comm ... levels_of/
Your headline is drastically different from the one you linked to. O0
don’t the b-heads know that Pyrex just isn’t made by Corning anymore?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 am

So if meat production is ruining the planet, and farming is ruining the planet, what is the solution (besides the obvious population control, which isn't happening any time soon in third world areas) ?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:44 am

In Meat: A Benign Extravagance, Simon Fairlie makes the point that some meat production is always going to be beneficial. First, because it closes some energy loops (especially pork), but also because meat provides a buffer for bad harvest years. Recommended reading.
pugchief wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 am
So if meat production is ruining the planet, and farming is ruining the planet, what is the solution (besides the obvious population control, which isn't happening any time soon in third world areas) ?
Population reduction is the only currently feasible answer. Even the solution anti-meat people propose, that everyone goes vegan so that we have enough to eat, is irrelevant if the population keeps growing.

A fun fantasy scenario is lab-cultured meat, indistinguishable from normal meat, grown in skyscrapers with nuclear fusion or Dyson-sphere power, with nutrients, water, and minerals from mined asteroids, for the people on Earth who haven't left on starships.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 am

(Kriegs.:) Population reduction is the only currently feasible answer.
Exactly what I was going to write.
pmward wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:58 pm
Well I think now is a great time to short BYND.

Good call, even if it was after hours, as the stock has been downgraded this morning.

So now the question is, would you short today, or buy?
(I’m hanging on to my shares, which I bought on IPO day. It’s like Tesla. Such a small amount that I can hang on indefinitely for fun. Wish I’d bought 1,000 shares, but of course then it would’ve tanked on day 1).
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:20 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:20 am
(Kriegs.:) Population reduction is the only currently feasible answer.
Exactly what I was going to write.
pmward wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:58 pm
Well I think now is a great time to short BYND.

Good call, even if it was after hours, as the stock has been downgraded this morning.

So now the question is, would you short today, or buy?
(I’m hanging on to my shares, which I bought on IPO day. It’s like Tesla. Such a small amount that I can hang on indefinitely for fun. Wish I’d bought 1,000 shares, but of course then it would’ve tanked on day 1).
You have a huge gain if you bought day 1. I would just put a stop loss on to protect your gains. If the stock rebounds and goes up further, I would move your stop loss up over time. Either way, you guarantee you lock in your gains. It would be a shame to turn a big winner into a big loser, I've done that before myself and it's a painful lesson to learn, haha.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am

Oh, me too. I wouldn't be surprised if my losers outnumber my winners. Not going to look. O0 But, I do enjoy these speculative nibbles, especially when I am interested in the product.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:32 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am
Oh, me too. I wouldn't be surprised if my losers outnumber my winners. Not going to look. O0 But, I do enjoy these speculative nibbles, especially when I am interested in the product.
Yeah sometimes it is indeed fun to bet on the unicorns. That's part of why when I was doing swing trading I was using small cap growth stocks. Lots of volatility, and if you get in the right stock at the right time they can just take off like a rocket! It's always hard to decide how to get out of one that has taken of like that. I became a big fan of the trailing stop loss for these situations especially since there is no past history to hint at where a stock might find resistance. These stocks can drop just as fast as they shot up.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Oh, me too. I wouldn't be surprised if my losers outnumber my winners.
Of course they do, or you'd be trading instead of PPing.

dualstow wrote:
Not going to look.
Cuz you know what you'd find. :D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Heh. Again, I enjoy these little nibbles, but something akin to Murphy's Law -- or the rule that it won't rain if you bring your umbrella -- says that as soon as I start trading with a significant amount of money, my dumb luck will suddenly run out. My solution: keep trading, but only with an insignificant cost.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:39 pm

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:00 pm
As an aside, although the BYND burgers tasted great, they had the oddest smell prior to cooking. Almost didn't go through with it.
Yes, exactly. Beyond Burgers taste fine, but they have an odd smell that reminds me faintly of a freshly opened can of dog food. I hope they can improve the product over time to get rid of that smell.

Impossible Burgers are the best fake burgers I’ve had so far.