BYND

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: BYND

Post by dualstow » Wed May 08, 2019 2:43 am

Actually, Burger King does. They recently added the Impossible Burger in some locations.
boglerdude wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 am
Carls Jr finally added the "beyond burger." Its outrageous that BK, McD, and jack in the box offer 10 burgers but none meatless. I'm wondering if theres something addictive in meat. But it seems more like its just the general human quality of resisting change, especially with food. I suppose we get wired up as children to associate the foods we eat with satisfaction, so experimenting with new foods is not appealing.
don’t the b-heads know that Pyrex just isn’t made by Corning anymore?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Wed May 08, 2019 3:21 am

Thx for that correction, BK had a veggie patty 15 years ago, I forgot cuz they arent in my 'hood. I suppose the problem is, folks disturbed by factory farming/mechanized slaughter, arent the type going to 24 hour drive-thrus. I wonder if legally mandating a few healthy options would create a disaster of unintended consequences (aside from triggering Libertarians!)

In any event its fun watching things evolve. Fingers crossed the Carls Jr experiment doesnt fail.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed May 08, 2019 6:13 am

Maybe it’s for the vegetarian friend who wants to join her friends for fast food and not be left out. Then, the other friends will eventually get curious, they’ll all start eating non-meat burgers, and my stock will go up. O0

Seriously, though, the Beyond Meat CEO, although he’s a vegan, said his products are not really meant for people who already subsist on plants; It’s for people who like meat. The occasional Beyond burger will change them into “meat reducers.” I wouldn’t be surprised if Impossible’s philosophy is similar.

I see there is a thread on Beyond at B’heads- or was. It’s already locked for being non-actionable.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Finally found Beyond Burgers at the grocery today, and grilled a couple up for the GF and myself. They were delicious, albeit pricey at $12/lb.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:43 pm
Finally found Beyond Burgers at the grocery today, and grilled a couple up for the GF and myself. They were delicious, albeit pricey at $12/lb.
You can get locally pastured and slaughtered beef for much less than that around here.

For me, the Beyond stuff is like cricket proteins. I'd give it a shot, but not at the prices they're charging.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 am

For those who have WSJ, there’s a cost comparison here-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fast-food- ... 1559640601
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:27 am

I don't eat much red meat anyway, but if these things are going to go mainstream they need to get the cost to down to comparable.

Beef production is bad for the environment and beef consumption is generally not the healthiest choice, but cost is going to be a factor for people to try and make these decisions.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:30 am

The stock is out of control, like Icarus.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:27 am
I don't eat much red meat anyway, but if these things are going to go mainstream they need to get the cost to down to comparable.

Beef production is bad for the environment and beef consumption is generally not the healthiest choice, but cost is going to be a factor for people to try and make these decisions.
I totally cherry-picked this article, but it does make sense.

https://climateandcapitalism.com/2018/0 ... he-planet/

"What about the environmental impact of palm oil, soya bean oil, rape oil and even sunflower oil production; the over-enrichment of the environment from nitrogen fertiliser; the decline in pollinating insects; the use of pesticides with known harmful impacts that would have been banned years ago were it not for the fact that intensive crop and vegetable growers can’t produce food without them?"
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 pm
pugchief wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:27 am

I totally cherry-picked this article, but it does make sense.

https://climateandcapitalism.com/2018/0 ... he-planet/

"What about the environmental impact of palm oil, soya bean oil, rape oil and even sunflower oil production; the over-enrichment of the environment from nitrogen fertiliser; the decline in pollinating insects; the use of pesticides with known harmful impacts that would have been banned years ago were it not for the fact that intensive crop and vegetable growers can’t produce food without them?"
So true. It's all bad for the environment. As always, there are politics involved in what receives a bad rap.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:00 pm

As an aside, although the BYND burgers tasted great, they had the oddest smell prior to cooking. Almost didn't go through with it.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:32 pm

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:00 pm
As an aside, although the BYND burgers tasted great, they had the oddest smell prior to cooking. Almost didn't go through with it.
When I do ground beef for tacos, I used to use regular ground beef and would always get turned off by the smell. Tasted fine though.

A few years ago changed to grass fed beef from Aldi. There is no bad smell. I have been able to correlate this a few times.