A novice's VP: requesting feedback

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: A novice's VP: requesting feedback

Post by sophie »

KodoCastle wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:27 am Unfortunately I work at a startup w/ no 401K, but if that changes I'd definitely do this.
If you're paid as an employee, I guess you're left with traditional vs. Roth IRA, then.

Sounds like you want to generally bet on prosperity, but don't want to actively buy and sell stocks or stock funds. You can accomplish that goal simply by holding a single stock fund outside of your PP and letting it sit and do its thing for a few decades. A target date fund would be a useful option, but you could look at an actively managed fund too.

If you are thinking of periodically selling off some of it to capture big gains, you probably don't want this in taxable. In practice though, you'll mostly be adding to it. During a big market upturn, you might just redirect more contributions to the PP rather than the stock fund as a way of accomplishing the same thing without actually selling.
KodoCastle

Post by KodoCastle »

Thanks for the ideas Kriegsspiel. And that's a good point about educated speculation, I'm very much not educated in this area. Perhaps I'll just pour everything into the PP until something jumps out at me.

Thanks for all the advice! Will look into target date funds and stock funds including world and emerging markets and try to find something that look good to me. (Although I don't mean to stop the conversation if people have more thoughts.)
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

If you like rules of thumb, think about the 15/50 allocation when looking at your whole entire portfolio together.

If you have 15 years left to live, have 50% in equities. Rebalance if it goes lower than 45% or more than 55%. That's all.

So if 1/2 of your holdings are HBPP, then we're talking about a 75% equity VP.