The end is near?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

The end is near?

Post by bedraggled » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 am

I hear and read about the reasons the stock market is doomed.

Have we heard the same song over the last 5-6 years? I know 2015 was flat, and that many here on the Forum mentioned the sad effect it had on the 4x25. Was not 2015 indicative of the end? Today we "know" about the dwindling of the positive effects of share buybacks, tax incentives, and repatriation of cash.

We agree the future can't be predicted. So...does this suggest stocks have a chance in 2019, just like 2016 ultimately gave some cheer? My VP's Microsoft and Intel holdings would love your input.

There might be a recession in 2019 but pundits disagree, of course.

It has also been suggested that technology will unleash an unprecedented bull market for common stocks. That sort of thing was said in 1929.

Thanks.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The end is near?

Post by ochotona » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:17 am

No way to know... follow the price action!
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:42 am

Just heard that yesterday declining socks outpaced advancers by 5 to 1. The Wall Street pros said a better ratio would have been 8 to 1 to get rid of the scared investors- a better foundation for a market surge. Today's gain of 140 +/- is not a dazzling rebound.

Is this what you mean by price action?

Thanks.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:08 am

No, I mean... follow the long-term trend technical indicators for buying and selling, the 200 day moving average and/or the 1 year total return. The rest is just talking heads and people making up reasons why something just happened.