PP Inspired Momentum - A Comprehensive Approach

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP/GB Inspired Momentum - A Comprehensive Approach

Post by InsuranceGuy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:09 pm

REITs looked good for the month. Looks like the model is moving from 50% REIT/50% Cash to 100% REIT. I'm still using VNQ as I like the MSCI REIT Index better than the Dow Jones RE Index, otherwise I'd consider moving to SCHH.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:16 pm

I should have mentioned that I took a page out of the Kbg playbook at the beginning of January and was too chicken to share it. I am now using 3x funds for 20% of my holdings for all but the Cash and International portion of my model as I can't find a 3x fund with enough volume for either of those.

I was a little shocked when I went to make my trades that I made almost 9% in January with 50% SHY/40% VNQ/10% DRN. That said, I got hammered today since moving to 80% VNQ/20% DRN.

IG
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:24 am

Yeah, you are hanging with the rough crowd now. ;)

Of note, throughout my writing I’ve continuously emphasized “when combined with a large cash balance.”
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP Inspired Momentum - A Comprehensive Approach

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:24 am
Yeah, you are hanging with the rough crowd now. ;)

Of note, throughout my writing I’ve continuously emphasized “when combined with a large cash balance.”
I am not a fan of holding cash unless the market looks broken, so I have just kept my gambling (leveraged) investments to a percentage that I am comfortable losing if the model fails. That percentage seems to be about 20% currently, we'll see if that changes...

IG
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:26 pm

My original post was meant to give ideas of how one might develop an investment model in order to not bias any discussion. Given that any discussion has run it's course, I have made several edits that reflect more closely my personal version of the model and it's prior trades for any who wish to follow along.

The model continues to be in 100% REITs, I choose to use VNQ (or a combination of VNQ/DRN leveraged).

IG
HappyMan

Post by HappyMan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks, IG, for sharing your strategy and continuous updates.

If one were to start following it, when would be adequate time to enter? At the beginning or end of a month? At the next shift or another event?
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 am

HappyMan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13 am
Thanks, IG, for sharing your strategy and continuous updates.

If one were to start following it, when would be adequate time to enter? At the beginning or end of a month? At the next shift or another event?
If it were me, I would probably DCA into it unless the signal changes. Maybe something like moving 10% per week for 10 weeks or similar to minimize the chance of buying in on a bad day, and I'd avoid using leverage until a signal change. Of course if the signal were to change in those 10 weeks then I'd move everything at that point.

If you are planning on following this strategy, I'd be happy to email you updates directly if you PM me your email address. I already send updates to several other interested parties.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 pm

It looks like there may be a trade at the end of December based on the model. I'll update closer to December 31 if the signal indeed changes.
HappyMan

Post by HappyMan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:38 pm

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 pm
It looks like there may be a trade at the end of December based on the model. I'll update closer to December 31 if the signal indeed changes.
Thanks for the update. Was wondering about a possible trade at the end of November, S&P takes new highs almost every other day. Will wait until the end of this month.
HappyMan

Post by HappyMan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:21 am

I'd like to thank Mr. Insurance Guy for sharing his strategy with this forum. Merry Christmas!

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:36 am

InsuranceGuy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:26 pm
My original post was meant to give ideas of how one might develop an investment model in order to not bias any discussion. Given that any discussion has run it's course, I have made several edits that reflect more closely my personal version of the model and it's prior trades for any who wish to follow along.

The model continues to be in 100% REITs, I choose to use VNQ (or a combination of VNQ/DRN leveraged).

IG
i thought you might like to know i saved a ton of money on my car insurance --I FLED THE SCENE lol
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:43 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:36 am
i thought you might like to know i saved a ton of money on my car insurance --I FLED THE SCENE lol
I have an avatar for that O0