PP Inspired Leveraged Portfolios

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP Inspired Leveraged Portfolios

Post by Kbg » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Yeah we do. Thanks for posting I was just coming to post this.

In addition to UGL, I think DGP is worth a look. They both have their pros and cons.

DGP, cheaper, clearly better performing, no K-1...big downside it's an ETN, but so was UGLD. Personally, if one could digest UGLD then I think DGP is the better choice. In a taxable, probably need to dig deep into the tax implications. I can't remember if UGL would be a 1256. If so, then advantage probably to UGL in a taxable account.

While it is definitely more work, in one account I switched to MGC to get the hang of running the stock and gold components with futures vs. ETFs. I will likely switch the other account that I can do this to gold futures (MGC).
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP Inspired Leveraged Portfolios

Post by Kbg » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm

A quick update...thus far another "I need to pinch myself" year...accounts doing this are all 25%+ on the year.

Haven't decided yet, but I think I will probably ditch the futures. Too much of a hassle in a tax advantaged account. Another option may be to just keep the gold contract as the Nasdaq 100 ETFs are doing just fine and very efficient to trade.