Marc De Messel Portfolio

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ILoveMoney

Marc De Messel Portfolio

Post by ILoveMoney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:33 am

If you guys remember Marc. He used to have a PP blog for the Dutch folks. He has removed it since regretfully (for reasons I'm not aware of).

I was surprised when someone pointed me to his Youtube channel. He seems to be involved in Crypto now (as he was back in the day).

Not sure if he did a 11k bitcoin party as he did when bitcoin hit 1k because he seems to have sold them at the start of this year. He's driving a Lambo though so he can't have done too bad over the past few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWBqgMPkeWI

Marc, if you are reading this congrats on your success. Hope you can drop in and post a few lines on how you are doing. I'm sure the community would love an update of your amazing achievements.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Marc De Messel Portfolio

Post by frugal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Yes sure he will come!

Very nice guy and intelligent he is.

Regards :)
ILoveMoney

Post by ILoveMoney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 pm

MangoMan wrote:
ILoveMoney wrote:If you guys remember Marc. He used to have a PP blog for the Dutch folks. He has removed it since regretfully (for reasons I'm not aware of).
I'm pretty sure he was Belgian, not Dutch. Not that it matters. Except maybe to him. ???
Sorry for any confusion caused. I should have picked a more suitable term. I meant Dutch speaking, didn't mean to imply he's from the Netherlands (as he's from Belgium). Anyhow, thanks for pointing that out. :)
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Damn, that's awesome. When you're posting videos from your Lambo, you know you have done OK.

Marc was awesome to have bequeathed some bitcoins to some of us a few years back. What an awesome guy! He gave me 0.1 bitcoin, which was worth about $30 at the time. I didn't know what to do with it, but then I discovered I could use it to buy stuff of "questionable legality" on the internet. Damn I wish I hadn't spent it! It would be worth more than $100 now! An excellent gift from an internet stranger.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:44 am

You mean it would be worth more than $1,000 now. Just for those who haven't noticed the incredible spike in bitcoin prices lately.

I bought $300 worth of bitcoin a while back, and now it's worth over $3,000. I should probably cash it in, but I can't stop wondering whether bitcoin might go to $100,000, in which case I would really kick myself. Any advice from anyone?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Yes, that 0.1 (or 0,1 for you Europeans) is now worth over 1k as Stuper said.

I tried to buy gold with mine but ran into a tiny snag this week. Password doesn’t work. This is the equivalent of a boating accident. Maybe someday after I’ve turned to dust, some A.I.s with quantum computer brains will recover it.

I think it’s just one D, isn’t it? de Mesel.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 pm

dualstow wrote:Yes, that 0.1 (or 0,1 for you Europeans) is now worth over 1k as Stuper said.

I tried to buy gold with mine but ran into a tiny snag this week. Password doesn’t work. This is the equivalent of a boating accident. Maybe someday after I’ve turned to dust, some A.I.s with quantum computer brains will recover it.

I think it’s just one D, isn’t it? de Mesel.
Haha! What good is a new-age currency if you can't access it or cash it out?
ILoveMoney

Post by ILoveMoney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 am

dualstow wrote: I think it’s just one D, isn’t it? de Mesel.
You're right. Shame on me. Can't edit the post anymore.

What do you mean your password doesn't work and what type of wallet do you have?

@Stuper 1: To those who got free bitcoin, my advise would be to hold for another 4 years. One 'respected' crypto newsletters in particular has upped the recommend buy up price of bitcoin to 25k. Short term price movement don't matter (even if it goes back to 4k).

NOTE: Can a mod please fix the title: Marc De Mesel Portfolio
Last edited by ILoveMoney on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:30 am

Let this be a lesson:

I bought a couple bitcoins around 2013 at about $100. Watched BTC spike up over $1000 and then crater. So then in late 2016 when it spiked again I sold them at around $700 to help pay for an electric bike I was building. Boy, was I feeling smug about my practically free electric bike! Of course now I still love my bike but I’m feeling like it was really really expensive... :o
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:50 am

More about the electric bike please.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Marc give away probably more than

20.000 USD = 2 bitcoin

!

normal bikes are better :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 am

ILoveMoney wrote:
dualstow wrote: ...
What do you mean your password doesn't work and what type of wallet do you have?
I set mine up at blockchain.info per Marc's advice on the giveaway thread.
I have no idea where the electronic copy of my password is, but I have always kept my "Paper Wallet", a printout from them, in a binder on the shelf.
Only after all the recent news about bitcoin's price did I try to login. (And only then, after being freaked out by a few exchanges asking me for my social. And my driver's license #. And an image of said license. And a selfie of me holding the license. And a utility bill....

What I do have from the printout is a 12-word mnemonic that's supposed to help me recover my password. Only it's three words short.
Easy come, easy go.
flyingpylon wrote:Let this be a lesson
I don't know if it's a lesson. After all, bitcoin could have tanked and become worthless. You got a free bike! Pretty cool indeed.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm

dualstow wrote:
ILoveMoney wrote:
dualstow wrote: ...
I set mine up at blockchain.info per Marc's advice on the giveaway thread.
I have no idea where the electronic copy of my password is, but I have always kept my "Paper Wallet", a printout from them, in a binder on the shelf.
Only after all the recent news about bitcoin's price did I try to login. (And only then, after being freaked out by a few exchanges asking me for my social. And my driver's license #. And an image of said license. And a selfie of me holding the license. And a utility bill....

What I do have from the printout is a 12-word mnemonic that's supposed to help me recover my password. Only it's three words short.
Easy come, easy go.
flyingpylon wrote:Let this be a lesson
I don't know if it's a lesson. After all, bitcoin could have tanked and become worthless. You got a free bike! Pretty cool indeed.
hi

you recover 0,1 btc ?

What will you do?
Wait for 100.000 ...
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

frugal wrote:you recover 0,1 btc ?
Nah.
What will you do?
Not much that can be done. There's one thing I'm trying, and I guess I could also recheck my old USB keys.
But, mainly I'm just going to shrug and smile and think, how awesome is Marc that he gave so many of us free bitcoin to encourage us to invest in it?
Ans.: Thoroughly awesome.

I never did invest in it, but I'm still impressed. He deserves that Lambo and everything else. Restores my faith in humanity. O0

I've been very lucky with stocks over my lifetime, and I guess it's easy to tell myself that I never really had any bitcoin. Now, if it goes to US$1MM, I might cry a little.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:26 am

dualstow wrote:
frugal wrote:you recover 0,1 btc ?
Nah.
What will you do?
Not much that can be done. There's one thing I'm trying, and I guess I could also recheck my old USB keys.
But, mainly I'm just going to shrug and smile and think, how awesome is Marc that he gave so many of us free bitcoin to encourage us to invest in it?
Ans.: Thoroughly awesome.

I never did invest in it, but I'm still impressed. He deserves that Lambo and everything else. Restores my faith in humanity. O0

I've been very lucky with stocks over my lifetime, and I guess it's easy to tell myself that I never really had any bitcoin. Now, if it goes to US$1MM, I might cry a little.
ahaahah
it is really incredible Marc's atittude and bitcoin rising.
Keep it up with PP
ILoveMoney

Post by ILoveMoney » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:38 am

dualstow wrote: What I do have from the printout is a 12-word mnemonic that's supposed to help me recover my password. Only it's three words short.
Easy come, easy go.
If you're missing one word, that would be very doable to recover as they come out of a standardized dictionary with 2000 something words. If you're missing 3 words, things might get a little more complicated. Still may be doable though... there's people who specialize in wallet recovery... just saying... don't throw that piece of paper away yet.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:08 am

Thank you, I.L.M. I was talking about this with a former member of this forum. I did google & find one person on reddit who had the same problem, 9 words instead of 12. So, I guess I never lost the 3 words. Seems to be an error on the part of those who issued me the password. In other words, they only gave me 9 in the first place, as with the person on reddit.
Last edited by dualstow on Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILoveMoney

Post by ILoveMoney » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Yeah. I'm sorry to hear that. Apparently sometimes faulty wallets get issued (even up to last year on some providers).

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you might be able to recover (since I didn't know myself when you posted about it) and wasn't sure you did! ;)

There are some knowledgeable folks on bitcoin forums that might be able to help.

Good luck!
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:27 pm

dualstow wrote:Thank you, I.L.M. I was talking about this with a former member of this forum. I did google & find one person on reddit who had the same problem, 9 words instead of 12. So, I guess I never lost the 3 words. Seems to be an error on the part of those who issued me the password. In other words, they only gave me 9 in the first place, as with the person on reddit.
dualstow, PM me and I can help you at least vet some providers of this service.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 pm

I will do that soon. Thank you!