Tactical Asset Allocation + HBPP an intriguing combo

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tactical Asset Allocation + HBPP an intriguing combo

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:46 am

Lately I am sitting on a 13% drawdown from the portfolio peak in late 2021. Most of it was attributable to my Junior gold Miners which collapsed, and also Bitcoin. I sold the BTC at a very good profit, but still took a massive DD from the peak value. I'm happy with -13% overall, I'm beating the 60/40 and even the 40/60. I'm beating the HBPP I think, which really is my benchmark for downside, not the 60/40.

Hindsight is 20-20... I wish I had just allocated to gold, not miners. But I got greedy. Greed will get you. But I am holding. I'm glad I got rid of the BTC, it was semi-fun while it lasted. Maybe again if it just cliff-dives to $3,500 which Gareth Soloway is not ruling out as a possible target.

Right now I'm sitting almost 100% in auto-rolled 13 week T-Bills, waiting for momentum to come back to some sector, but prepared to sit. I still have physical gold, the Junior Gold Miners, I-Bonds. I'm enjoying having a temporary holiday from being invested, it's calming.

I am noticing the historic drawdown in the HBPP and Golden Butterfly, a good sign for new entrants.