Golden Butterfly and Vanguard

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Golden Butterfly and Vanguard

Post by Mr Vacuum »

Wow, I had noticed those similar but different indexes tend to race around each other like the M&M's on the scoreboard at the ballpark, but I hadn't noticed the spread at the end of 2016. Comparing VB and IJR at portfoliovisualizer.com, IJR returned +8% over VB in 2016. The last time the spread was that big was 2009, when it was VB at +10%. The discerning tax loss harvester may want to pay attention to valuations before trading and getting hammered when they swing back.
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen »

VB is different than VBR (SC vs SCV).

SLYV has low volume but has been around since 2004 and at Morningstar seems to return consistently a bit better except in 2014 and 15. And 2016 it outperformed by a lot.
Could someone pls explain how the bid/ask effects the performance. Does the NAV include the effect of the bid/ask?

In this boom or bust asset class the volatility is what gives the extra boost in good times.
But from 2009-15 Growth stocks outperformed Value.
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen »

^ thx for the explanation. Yikes. I think SLYV is showing a 7% spread.

Do you see the bid/ask effect in the NAV?
Or in the performance numbers?

I guess what I am asking: is there a way to compare the performance of 2 different ETFs with different spreads?
If you don't trade the fund often, except for re-balancing, then is the spread less important?
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. »

Larry Swedroe has been writing about the difference in SCV funds and ETFs quite a bit lately. In a recent post on Bogleheads he says that not just Vanguard but even his "alma mater" (so to speak) DFA's small value offerings have gotten too large, asset-wise, to invest in the truly "valuey" way he prefers:

http://www.etf.com/sections/index-inves ... nopaging=1

Specifically he said most recently hs uses Bridgeway's small cap value ETF (BOSVX) instead of either the Vanguard or DFA funds in client portfolios these days. Obviously this has implications for those of us attracted to the GB and Larry portfolios.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

thisisallen wrote:^ thx for the explanation. Yikes. I think SLYV is showing a 7% spread.

Do you see the bid/ask effect in the NAV?
Or in the performance numbers?

I guess what I am asking: is there a way to compare the performance of 2 different ETFs with different spreads?
If you don't trade the fund often, except for re-balancing, then is the spread less important?

it isn't a 7% spread on slyv i show 119.65 and 119.95 . that is a tiny fraction of a percent .
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen »

OK. That sounds good. The day I checked on Morningstar I thought it said 7%
Thx for clarifying.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

slyv is like ijs