Do you think silver will beat future inflation?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Do you think silver will beat future inflation?

Post by barrett » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:55 pm

These are the coins that are made in Austria, correct Dualstow? They look cool! Plus, as a bonus for the kids, they have the word "Wiener" on them. Maybe hedge and buy them each a solar panel as well.

What I'd be concerned about giving kids cool coins is that they'd probably just rush onto the next present before I could lecture them on why they might be a good portfolio diversifier.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:13 pm

barrett wrote:These are the coins that are made in Austria, correct Dualstow?
Correcto. https://is.gd/nWehoB (see image at right)
It would be a boring world if we all had MG's high standards. Glad to see someone's down in the gutter with me.

They look cool! Plus, as a bonus for the kids, they have the word "Wiener" on them.
O0 Speaking of which... They're mostly nieces, not nephews, but you never know. :)
Maybe hedge and buy them each a solar panel as well.
I believe they have those on their roof already. Early adopters.
What I'd be concerned about giving kids cool coins is that they'd probably just rush onto the next present before I could lecture them on why they might be a good portfolio diversifier.
My guess is that they care as much about investing as does Mrs Dualstow, which is to say, not at all.
I met Sophie once and she said that we need more female pp'ers. We do!

When I was a kid, my grandpa bought me a share of stock. Gave me the paper certificate.
These days, I wouldn't bother. And no more paper savings bonds. :'(
I suppose it's up to their parents to get them into stocks.

Code: Select all

Edited to remove "I guess", which I used too many damn times.
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:16 pm

MachineGhost wrote: So no more holidays for me (I'm quitting Thanksgiving this year).

Bah humbug!
Dude, lean protein.
RIP Marcello Gandini
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:27 am

MG, say not so! Thanksgiving is the best. No gifts, no reason to rush off to church in the middle of the festivities, just a big meal that is very fun to cook.

Christmas, on the other hand, is a major PITA. If it weren't for the fact that I usually have hospital service around/during the holidays, I'd go someplace isolated and very far away.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:16 am

Funny story. I was out with some friends last night and one of them, a guy in his sixties, was getting ready to get rid of some proof coins (no silver or gold content). I asked him if he used to collect and he said that his dad used to give them as gifts. "Kind of a pain in the ass to deal with and {get rid of}", he said.

I sighed, told him about my plan for the silver coins for my nieces, and said, this is the future conversation that they're going to have with someone someday if I give them these coins.

Maybe I'll just buy them for myself, as I've been planning all along in the selfish back of my mind.
RIP Marcello Gandini
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:52 am

Just give them Chinese Panda coins!!!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 am

MachineGhost wrote:Just give them Chinese Panda coins!!!
Well, I placed the order (Apmex). Whether or not they get any of my silver fiddles is up in the air.
But they will get some cute non-metal non-monetary gifts.
RIP Marcello Gandini
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:06 am

dualstow wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:Just give them Chinese Panda coins!!!
Well, I placed the order (Apmex). Whether or not they get any of my silver fiddles is up in the air.
But they will get some cute non-metal non-monetary gifts.
How about both? Minimize the damage. :P
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:07 am

They're good kids. We have a good time when we hang out, i.e. they're not adult-hating teenagers yet.
RIP Marcello Gandini
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Dualstow,,

This might be a dumb question but I don't get why a coin that costs $29.50 has "100 Euro" on the back. Kinda like the American Eagles that say $50 on the back... only different.

On a related note, silver was up almost 1% today!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:04 pm

barrett wrote:Dualstow,,

This might be a dumb question but I don't get why a coin that costs $29.50 has "100 Euro" on the back. Kinda like the American Eagles that say $50 on the back... only different.
Yeah, it's weird. You should ignore the face value. It's funny, though: when I read that silver is legal tender in Utah or that the coins I bought can be used in Austria, I always wonder if they're used to buy chewing gum as I don't think the face value is more than €1.50. The 100 Euro coin is gold.
On a related note, silver was up almost 1% today!
I saw that. Since I was just buying a smaller amount, I didn't fret over it, but I certainly would have if I had been placing a sizable order. Reminds me of Microsoft stock escaping my limit order last week. I'm not going to chase it.
RIP Marcello Gandini
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:27 am

dualstow wrote:They're good kids. We have a good time when we hang out, i.e. they're not adult-hating teenagers yet.
I still really like the idea of gifting them small gold coins. I gave a Kindle copy of the book "The Richest Man in Babylon" to my college-age niece, along with the offer to help her open a Roth IRA account. She was very enthusiastic. So you might be surprised at how well the budget & save message goes over.

And yes...need more women PPers!!!!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:29 am

College-aged, yes. :-) We'll see how it goes.
In the meantime, it was nice to be able to order online, i.e. to not have to use the phone, and then to drop a check in the mail. Dangerously easy, and might lead to future purchases. I have a blue box half a block from my front door.

I was always under the impression that online orders required a wire transfer & fee or a credit card and the expensive surcharge that comes with it. I'll report on delivery when it happens.
RIP Marcello Gandini
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:47 am

Apmex does charge a surcharge for credit cards. Use web bill pay to avoid it.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:17 pm

MachineGhost wrote:Apmex does charge a surcharge for credit cards. Use web bill pay to avoid it.
I used a personal check.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Got the coins today. I didn't realize silver was also very heavy - almost like lead - because I've only bought a few collectibles from the mint here and there, with each coin in a box. This tube is damn heavy. I like it.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:30 pm

P.S. from a gold thread today -
Cortopassi wrote:I have a slightly modified holding of 25% gold and 5% silver. So overall precious metals >25%
The markup on silver is really high, isn't it? Thinking about the cost of buying it and then selling it reminds me of some (Chinese) renminbi-denominated traveler's cheques from American Express. The banks in China that would take them charged an 8% fee and I paid something similar to buy them. Gold...under 4% markup.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:08 pm

The markup is why I use ETFS for silver. Also it's too bulky, I don't have the space in my safe.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:28 pm

It is bulky indeed.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:43 am

Interesting strength in silver but weakness in gold. My silver buy orders are going unfilled, my gold orders are hitting. I hope the silver train hasn't left the station for good.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:26 pm

ochotona wrote:Interesting strength in silver but weakness in gold. My silver buy orders are going unfilled, my gold orders are hitting. I hope the silver train hasn't left the station for good.
How about now? I just got (yet another) marketing email from Apmex, touting the 5.88% drop in silver's spot price.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:35 pm

dualstow wrote:
ochotona wrote:Interesting strength in silver but weakness in gold. My silver buy orders are going unfilled, my gold orders are hitting. I hope the silver train hasn't left the station for good.
How about now? I just got (yet another) marketing email from Apmex, touting the 5.88% drop in silver's spot price.
Being an aimless dreamer, I set my buy for silver at $15. My gold buy was $1260. But I won't buy more gold until it gets back to the Dec 2015 lows. I'm done for now.
JohnnyFactor

Post by JohnnyFactor » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:27 pm

I ran across this interesting bit, discussing the possibility of India shifting more of their gold purchasing to silver. Could mean big changes to the silver market if it materializes.

http://qz.com/851315/is-silver-replacin ... 100-years/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Very interesting!
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:58 pm

The gold : silver ratio exhibits variability, and over an extended period of time it reverts to its own very long-term moving average. One argument is that silver is relatively cheaper than gold right now. It's a way to allocate money that you're going to put into metals anyway. You could make an argument that gold:silver > 55 means "buy silver". Right now it is 70. At the extremes, like at ratio > 80 you'd overweight silver, at ratio < 40 you'd overweight gold.

Doug Eberhardt, a San Diego metals dealer, advocates 75% gold / 25% silver allocation for the metals part of one's portfolio. The GLTR ETF is 56% gold, 29% silver, 8% platinum, 7% palladium.

Maybe if we get some economic growth back in the world, silver will become more dear, supposedly it's used in solar panels. With economic growth, "risk-off" sentiments, and higher interest rates, the gold:silver ratio could fall.