Do you think silver will beat future inflation?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Do you think silver will beat future inflation?

Post by ochotona » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:58 pm

The gold : silver ratio exhibits variability, and over an extended period of time it reverts to its own very long-term moving average. One argument is that silver is relatively cheaper than gold right now. It's a way to allocate money that you're going to put into metals anyway. You could make an argument that gold:silver > 55 means "buy silver". Right now it is 70. At the extremes, like at ratio > 80 you'd overweight silver, at ratio < 40 you'd overweight gold.

Doug Eberhardt, a San Diego metals dealer, advocates 75% gold / 25% silver allocation for the metals part of one's portfolio. The GLTR ETF is 56% gold, 29% silver, 8% platinum, 7% palladium.

Maybe if we get some economic growth back in the world, silver will become more dear, supposedly it's used in solar panels. With economic growth, "risk-off" sentiments, and higher interest rates, the gold:silver ratio could fall.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:25 pm

ochotona wrote:~29% silver, 8% platinum, 7% palladium.
ETFs aside, does anyone buy physical platinum or palladium? Probably not too practical, but I love that one can store so much wealth in such a small space. Non-digital space.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:56 am

dualstow wrote:I'm thinking about buying some 1oz silver coins, although not as an investment.
I want to give them out to the kiddies as part of a stocking stuffer this Christmas.

Gave one to a manager/waitress who treats me and my friends well.
She loved it.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:12 am

dualstow wrote:
ochotona wrote:~29% silver, 8% platinum, 7% palladium.
ETFs aside, does anyone buy physical platinum or palladium? Probably not too practical, but I love that one can store so much wealth in such a small space. Non-digital space.
Platinum still cheap compared to gold. I don't buy into EVs killing catalytic converters and therefore platinum narrative. Platinum has been cyclically cheap way before anyone cared about Telsa, but this low platinum to gold ratio range is way to the left in the histogram. Last bucket, actually. Golddealer.com has a great price on the platypus coin.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Some silver monetary history, courtesy of Hugo Salinas Price.

http://plata.com.mx/enUS/More/331?idioma=2

Like the Eagle story at the beginning....
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Hal wrote:Some silver monetary history, courtesy of Hugo Salinas Price.
http://plata.com.mx/enUS/More/331?idioma=2
Like the Eagle story at the beginning....
Good stuff. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm back to thinking about silver. I am thinking lately that if we get another recession in a few years, the price will go down, due to the industrial demand, which will be suppressed. So I like the idea of silver, I don't like the absolute price, regardless of what the gold:silver ratio is doing. So I kind of scratch my head and wonder about it. I like a little bit just for art's sake.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:15 am

ochotona wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 pm
I'm back to thinking about silver. I am thinking lately that if we get another recession in a few years, the price will go down, due to the industrial demand, which will be suppressed. So I like the idea of silver, I don't like the absolute price, regardless of what the gold:silver ratio is doing. So I kind of scratch my head and wonder about it. I like a little bit just for art's sake.
Did you finally end up buying silver ? I am now wondering whether to buy a good enough portion of it, for my VP. Scratching my head, reading articles (avoiding sites that are anyway selling gold/silver/other PMs), trying to use my common (?) sense .. I know it might sound overly simplified, but how much lower can it go down in price from now - 10%, more..? If it goes up, that's another story. Gold to silver ratio is just a very nice data-mining exercise for me. Supply/demand figures for its industrial usage may sound sensible, although still wondering why after so many years of shortages the price is still at those base levels..
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Vil wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:15 am
.. I know it might sound overly simplified, but how much lower can it go down in price from now - 10%, more..?
It’s not even at its 52-week low. How low could it go? I think it could go very low indeed. Why not US$2?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 pm
Why not US$2?
According to various sources, the mining cost is approximately 9 to 12 USD. But ok, you have a point, I guess.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm

I don’t think it will drop so precipitously, but it certainly could.
RIP Marcello Gandini