Marc Faber portfolio?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jason
Executive Member
Executive Member

Marc Faber portfolio?

Post by jason »

Marc Faber has been saying for a while that he recommends an asset allocation of 25% gold, 25% stocks, 25% bonds (and cash), and 25% real estate.  I don't think he ever says how much cash he holds.  So, this made me wonder if anyone has done a back test of 25% gold, 25% stocks, 25% bonds, and 25% real estate (with 0% cash) and compared that to the performance of the PP.  I'd be curious to see how they compare both in performance, volatility, draw-downs, best year, worst year, and so on.  I tried portfolio analyzer but I couldn't find ticker symbols that went far enough back in time.  I wanted to back test from January 1st, 1972.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Marc Faber portfolio?

Post by MachineGhost »

jason wrote: Marc Faber has been saying for a while that he recommends an asset allocation of 25% gold, 25% stocks, 25% bonds (and cash), and 25% real estate.  I don't think he ever says how much cash he holds.  So, this made me wonder if anyone has done a back test of 25% gold, 25% stocks, 25% bonds, and 25% real estate (with 0% cash) and compared that to the performance of the PP.  I'd be curious to see how they compare both in performance, volatility, draw-downs, best year, worst year, and so on.  I tried portfolio analyzer but I couldn't find ticker symbols that went far enough back in time.  I wanted to back test from January 1st, 1972.
It's in Mebane Faber's e-book comparing all of the asset allocation portfolios.  Verdict is Mr. Doom's portfolio sucks because its overweight real assets, but at the end of the day, all asset portfolios more or less return the same.  It's the sequence of returns that varies and the PP is the best.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Here's my interpretation with:

25% total stock market
25% long term treasuries
25% gold
25% reits

[img width=500]http://i64.tinypic.com/1yww00.jpg[/img]

It's kinda like the PP on steroids. Not bad. 

One thing that makes me pause is that once you account for REITs in the total stock market fund an the home equity of the typical investor, this would leave you quite a bit more exposed to real estate than 25%.  You also have to be careful about the REIT taxes. 
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jason
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jason »

Tyler wrote: Here's my interpretation with:

25% total stock market
25% long term treasuries
25% gold
25% reits

[img width=500]http://i64.tinypic.com/1yww00.jpg[/img]

It's kinda like the PP on steroids. Not bad. 

One thing that makes me pause is that once you account for REITs in the total stock market fund an the home equity of the typical investor, this would leave you quite a bit more exposed to real estate than 25%.  You also have to be careful about the REIT taxes.
Awesome, thanks!  So, there is some definite upside there.  But also risky.  Things can get pretty ugly if real estate crashes.  If REITs existed in the 1930s, I'm sure they would have performed very badly.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Those returns look great but it seems to me that there has to be at least a 10% cash allocation in order to run any kind of fair comparison to the PP.
Last edited by barrett on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.