I bought some Smith & Wesson today.

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I bought some Smith & Wesson today.

Post by Ad Orientem »

Smith & Wesson crushes earnings, as Americans keep buying guns like crazy...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/smith-wes ... 43104.html
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Ad Orientem wrote:Smith & Wesson crushes earnings, as Americans keep buying guns like crazy...

Louis Navellier still likes it, too.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote:
Ad Orientem wrote:Smith & Wesson crushes earnings, as Americans keep buying guns like crazy...

With that guy's sordid track record, who cares?
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MachineGhost wrote:
A very short while ago you said he was one of the few that you liked, no?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:
A very short while ago you said he was one of the few that you liked, no?
Never.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I guess you just said he was one of the better ones. That's pretty close.
See Pink Elephant in the Room thread, which I just bumped. Took me a few minutes to click to the correct date and then thread.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote:I guess you just said he was one of the better ones. That's pretty close.
See Pink Elephant in the Room thread, which I just bumped. Took me a few minutes to click to the correct date and then thread.
Perhaps I misspoke and it was over a year ago, not "a short while ago". How about: he's one of "the positive ones"?

I still don't like him. There's far, far better newsletter stock pickers than this guy. He's just running off a faltering reputation from hosting a TV show decades ago or something like that. No, that was Reuksayer! Who the hell is Navallier exactly other than a huckster?

His public market timing forecasts isn't that bad:

P.S. Interesting, he claims to never time the market and claims to be a quant. Well, it sure doesn't show up in his poor performance.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MachineGhost wrote:
dualstow wrote:I guess you just said he was one of the better ones. That's pretty close.
Perhaps I misspoke and it was over a year ago, not "a short while ago".
In that case I'm even more impressed that I remember! O0
Who the hell is Navallier exactly other than a huckster?
I don't believe in stockpickers myself. I do, however, get paid to go through the clerical motions of clicking on his buys and sells.

After living with his newsletters for enough years, my feeling is that a lot of what he does is simply momentum. And yes, he has a team of quants behind him.

However, a lot of his gains are on penny stocks or something near penny stocks. The problem is that he says, "This is a thinly traded stock, so only buy within 25 cents of the last closing." If you do that, you will never buy the stock. If you chase it and buy at market, you will not be buying at his recommended price. But what does he do when he posts his gains? He shows the stock as being bought at that impossible price.

So, while he's an ok stockpicker, the reality is that you can just buy an index fund and skip all the frantic trading to get the same performance, or perhaps better.