100% stocks

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 100% stocks

Post by lordmetroid »

Austen Heller wrote: Will this be 100% Swedish or European stocks, or will you do a world-cap weighting, like the VT ETF?
It is exciting, to see someone moving to 100% stocks.  100% stocks is a big bet on prosperity, but for all of our sake, I hope you're right.  Let us know when you have done it, so we can see how it turned out for you.  I am sure it will take some major juevos to actually pull the trigger.  Good luck to you.
It will be 100% Mid Cap Swedish stocks. I like the Mid Cap Swedish Stocks as they have historically been giving a much greater return compared to the Large Cap index. I also thought about diversifying internationally but I don't like the extra currency risk.

Maybe I should get myself 50/50 Large Cap and Mid Cap.
Last edited by lordmetroid on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold »

lordmetroid wrote: I can't count on the gold as the japanese historical example have shown gold doesn't act as a hedge against the stock market....
t
Good luck, Lord M, but is the Japanese model necessarily relevant to what might happen in other countries? For example (and correct me if I am wrong), Japanese investors are reluctant to invest outside their own economy, which is very different from many other societies.

I personally would feel a lot more comfortable holding a chunk of gold along with all those equities.
koekebakker

Post by koekebakker »

It will be 100% Mid Cap Swedish stocks. I like the Mid Cap Swedish Stocks as they have historically been giving a much greater return compared to the Large Cap index. I also thought about diversifying internationally but I don't like the extra currency risk.

Maybe I should get myself 50/50 Large Cap and Mid Cap.
I think I have to be honest here Lord. Based on your ever-changing portfolio ideas and your very low tolerance for volatility there is absolutely zero chance that you will stick with a 100% stock portfolio.
If you insist on a 100% stock portfolio put at least 50% in a global index. Forget about a large allocation to Swedish midcaps, that will only lead to behavioral mistakes. If you have to invest in Swedish stocks get the total market.

The best idea for you would be to find a low-cost advisor (max 0.5% a year) who'll passively manage your money using strictly indexfunds.
If that's not possible pick a simple, conservative strategy.

An example of a simple allocation:
30% global stocks
60% intermediate Swedish treasuries and/or cash/cd's (whatever you like best)
10% gold

Or:
25% global stocks
25% Swedish stocks
50% Swedish treasuries

Set it and forget it!

You can thank me later.
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

I already abandoned the idea a few days after my proclamation of 100% stocks.
internationalcanuck

Post by internationalcanuck »

I don't see what's wrong with 100% stocks as long as you aren't looking at it and don't need it for 20+ years.  Right now I have a retirement account that is 85% stocks 15% bond fund, but in reality, this 15% provides minimal diversification, as the 15% barely moves during stock downturn.  While "Efficient frontiers" says 100% stocks is sub-optimal for risk reward, I think that is interesting in theory, but I don't know if in the middle of a stock market meltdown, you're really going to be thankful that your account "only" declined by 25% instead of 35%, when you don't know how far the stock market will decline, except in hindsight.

I am going to transition to 100% stock portfolio - 33% US (50% large cap/50% small cap),33% international developed (50% large cap/50% small cap), 34% Emerging (50% large cap/50% small cap).  The small cap will increase risk (more return/more draw down), but also think small caps will be less correlated to the other international markets.
lordmetroid wrote: I already abandoned the idea a few days after my proclamation of 100% stocks.
koekebakker

Post by koekebakker »

lordmetroid wrote: I already abandoned the idea a few days after my proclamation of 100% stocks.
Allright, might have missed that. Good thing you reconsidered! Take it slow now  ;)
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

koekebakker wrote:
Allright, might have missed that. Good thing you reconsidered! Take it slow now  ;)
Yeah, I am trading stocks instead!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

lordmetroid wrote:
koekebakker wrote:
Yeah, I am trading stocks instead!
Let us know next week what your new strategy is!
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”