Has anyone here ever sold silver bullion for a profit?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Has anyone here ever sold silver bullion for a profit?

Post by dualstow »

Not SLV but real silver coins or bars.

I've never invested in silver, although I've bought some nice looking coins as collectibles. I know there are people out there buying silver bars as an investment, but I've never heard of anyone selling their silver except old forks, spoons and necklaces.

Anyone?
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Has anyone here ever sold silver bullion for a profit?

Post by lordmetroid »

I do not like the physical assets, too many fees, too much spread, cumbersome and risky to store. I had a couple of bullions for a while but decided to liquidate in favor of IAU ETF instead.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

I love physical.  Gold is not cumbersome at all.  And risk is relative, either in a good safe or safe deposit box.  Comparing that to 1s and 0s on a computer that can disappear or go dark for extended periods, it is one of many things that attracts me to physical.

Spread, from a reputable coin shop markup is generally spot +$2-3 for Eagles, $1 for generic 1oz rounds, and significantly sub $1/oz for 10oz and up bars.

I have only bought to date, never sold, but I did see a few people sell boxes of Eagles and a few gold coins to the dealer at the coin shop.  Depending on the vintage and type of product, a lot of times he would give above spot for both gold and silver.
Test of the signature line
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

Spread in Sweden is about 5% and then there is the postage fees which is rather large for an insured shipment. Also if someone in the wrong circles finds out that you got a stash. You can expect a burglary whether or not you have it in your home or not.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

In the early 1960s, my mom was a legal secretary, and one of her jobs was to empty the change from the vending machines.

When 90% silver coins began being phased out, she would just pull the silver coins out of the vending machines when she emptied them and replace them with her own newer alloy coins.  She did this for years when there was a lot of 90% silver still in circulation.  She still has it all.  Probably $1,000 or so face value.

All those years, no storage costs, no fees, no taxes.  Just a heavy box somewhere in her attic gradually getting more valuable as the years passed.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

So no, no one is the answer so far.