The "trend following" Permanent Portfolio signals

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The "trend following" Permanent Portfolio signals

Post by MachineGhost »

Why are you using the middle of the month?
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I'm going to get back onto the end-of-month schedule.

ALL FOUR PP ASSETS ARE "ON" AS OF 4/1/2016
var

Post by var »

are u using real money to do this?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

var wrote: are u using real money to do this?
OH YES.... indeed... 60% of my entire portfolio is trend-following. This is a serious commitment.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Ocho, the 10 month Ivy signals got back in stocks on April 1.  From the chart, looks like late 2015-2016 so far has been possibly the most whipsawed period of the past 20 years?  It's worked well in the past, but more than anything I am personalyl just using this as confirmation bias that I am doing the right thing by not doing this and just using PP bands.

Test of the signature line
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Cortopassi wrote: Ocho, the 10 month Ivy signals got back in stocks on April 1.  From the chart, looks like late 2015-2016 so far has been possibly the most whipsawed period of the past 20 years?  It's worked well in the past, but more than anything I am personalyl just using this as confirmation bias that I am doing the right thing by not doing this and just using PP bands.
No, 1994 had more whipsaws.  4 in a row if I recall correctly.

What trend following does is basically shift risk; in return for giving up half of the drawdown, you take on whipsaw and tracking risk.  No free lunch it seems.  The trick is that the when-invested gains overcome the cumulative whipsawed losses as well as the missed opportunity losses from not being fully invested at a bottom.  It does do that which is the only reason why it works.

I like downside risk management so long as I don't personally have to be responsible for it.  It's emotionally tough to be flittering in and out of the markets with huge chunks of your capital.  You have both fear of missing out as well as fear of being whipsawed.

Besides, the PP hedging only works by relying on the assets to be fully invested at all times.  Using trend following on the assets changes the correlated risk parity such that the optimal weights may be entirely different than a fully invested PP.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!