Golden Butterfly Portfolio

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Golden Butterfly Portfolio

Post by Desert » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:55 am

It's true that value and growth have their own long stretches of outperformance/underperformance. It's also true that over long periods, value has outperformed growth. See Fama/French, Swedroe, etc. Value and size are two of the well-known "factors" in that school of thought.

edited to add: Right after this post, I saw this article on bogleheads, regarding this topic.
http://www.etf.com/sections/index-inves ... mium-lives
hardlawjockey

Post by hardlawjockey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:22 pm

When I transitioned into the GB a couple of years ago I set things up so that all of the SCV is in my Roth IRA's.
Don

Post by Don » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 pm

So how is the GB doing so far this year?
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Don wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 pm
The beauty of only dealing with annual data is that I honestly didn't know and had to look it up. ;)

According to ETF replay, a perfectly rebalanced GB is basically at the same place it started YTD (down 0.4%). My own portfolio is slightly up. So not great by any means, but well within historical norms in terms of range of possible returns.
PortfolioCharts.com : a picture is worth a thousand calculations
Don

Post by Don » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Tyler wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 pm
Don wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 pm
The beauty of only dealing with annual data is that I honestly didn't know and had to look it up. ;)

According to ETF replay, a perfectly rebalanced GB is basically at the same place it started YTD (down 0.4%). My own portfolio is slightly up. So not great by any means, but well within historical norms in terms of range of possible returns.
Thanks. Tyler, I like your portfolio based on the eye test. How would it look with a 10% SCV and 30% TSM? I'm looking for less down years and a slightly lower CAGR. I'm retired.

I'd also prefer something like 10% gold and 30% STTs for stability. Just by the eye test.

30%TSM
10% SCV
20% LTTs
30% STTs
10% gold

Sorry, I'm not very good using your charts or I'd do it myself.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 pm

Don wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 pm
Sorry, I'm not very good using your charts or I'd do it myself.
I recently updated the charts to be a little easier to use. Try this: https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/my-portfolio/ Just enter the percentages you want to study in the black boxes, and everything should update automatically.

But in general, even without looking at the charts I personally have no problem with your tweaks as long as the portfolio meets your needs. The best asset allocation is one that you're comfortable sticking with.
PortfolioCharts.com : a picture is worth a thousand calculations