Physical alternatives to precious metals?

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Physical alternatives to precious metals?

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:52 pm

I think you will find that gold has the best tradeoff between convenience, spread between buy and sell, ease of storage, track record of keeping value through disasters, and all the other reasons to own tangibles.
Longstreet

Post by Longstreet » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:13 am

A basic question.  Two of the reasons for holding physical gold is that it will hold some value in a catastrophe and it will allow me to purchase some goods and services in a time of crisis.  However, if everyone has lost nearly everything, what will I be able to buy with a $1000 gold piece - food, fuel, energy?  It seems to me that one would want to hold a smaller valued item to enable barter and exchange.  Thus, nickels sound reasonable for a small percentage of one's holding?
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:39 am

Longstreet wrote: A basic question.  Two of the reasons for holding physical gold is that it will hold some value in a catastrophe and it will allow me to purchase some goods and services in a time of crisis.  However, if everyone has lost nearly everything, what will I be able to buy with a $1000 gold piece - food, fuel, energy?  It seems to me that one would want to hold a smaller valued item to enable barter and exchange.  Thus, nickels sound reasonable for a small percentage of one's holding?
Another suggestion is purchasing pre-1965 Quarters and Dimes due to the 90% silver amount in each of them. These would be much easier for paying for things. For instance, a pre-1965 Dime is worth around $1.09 based on current silver and copper prices.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Sam Brazil

Post by Sam Brazil » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Longstreet wrote: A basic question.  Two of the reasons for holding physical gold is that it will hold some value in a catastrophe and it will allow me to purchase some goods and services in a time of crisis.  However, if everyone has lost nearly everything, what will I be able to buy with a $1000 gold piece - food, fuel, energy?  It seems to me that one would want to hold a smaller valued item to enable barter and exchange.  Thus, nickels sound reasonable for a small percentage of one's holding?
Why not just hold 1/20 ounce gold coins?
Stewardship
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Stewardship » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:11 am

Purchasing some goods and services is the last thing you want attempt in a time of crisis.  If you get desperate enough to, then having denominations that are too large would be the least of your worries...
In a world of ever-increasing financial intangibility and government imposition, I tend to expect otherwise.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:54 am

HB recommended junk silver for that eventuality.
Sam Brazil

Post by Sam Brazil » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:39 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
HB recommended junk silver for that eventuality.
Still seems like 1/20 gold maples or gold eagles would be a better option...you get small amounts + highest assurance that it will be recognized as valuable. You go around after the apocalypse with a bunch junk grey matter that looks sorta like silver, who knows what will happen...it's not like you can expect ever barterer to carry metal testing kits.
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Sam Brazil wrote: Still seems like 1/20 gold maples or gold eagles would be a better option...you get small amounts + highest assurance that it will be recognized as valuable. You go around after the apocalypse with a bunch junk grey matter that looks sorta like silver, who knows what will happen...it's not like you can expect ever barterer to carry metal testing kits.
It's actually pretty easy to tell the difference between a 90% silver coin and a fake.  For one approach see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvmfTApZZsM
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:31 pm

fishdrzig wrote: Pull and save as many of your kids primary teeth for future stem cell research auctions.
Cool!  I'm glad I saved my baby teeth and wisdom teeth!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!